Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual import and export activities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neb Uvv

Sep 15, 2023
CA
I have the Tesla solar system installed since October 2022 and it's been working fine for the most part. But, a little over 2 weeks ago I started noticing usual energy import and export activities. I have the system set on Self-Powered mode, which it should only discharge to power my home use. And, I am not allowing the battery to be charged from the grid. With our usage, we can usually get through the night without tapping to grid (unless there is consecutive cloudy days and we can't get enough juice in battery), thus, we are almost always 100% self-powered according to Tesla's app.

About 2 weeks ago, I start noticing the system will draw anywhere from 1 kW to 3 kW from the grid and then export almost the same amount from my battery, which it has never happen until 2 weeks ago. And, it's been doing that since. These activities would usually take place late at night or early in the morning. What's weird is that such activities wouldn't show in the graph either. I am just wondering if this a system issue that I need to contact Tesla.

I have 24 T400H panels, 1 powerwall+.

Screenshot_20230915-125535.png
Screenshot_20230915-125500.png

I'm not a Powerwall expert at all. But what is your reserve set for?

I have it at 20%. I usually would still have around 90% right around sunset. By the morning when solar starting to generate again, I normally would still have around 50% battery. And that's the case for the past 2 weeks as well. I ust don't see any reason why it would tap into grid for a few kW and only to give it back from my battery.
Screenshot_20230915-145033.png

It's a bug in the app/firmware. If you notice, the 'export' came from the Powerwall and went to the House. It never went to the grid.

The graph is correct and will show true import and exports, but the statistics are (once again) messed up.
Thanks for pointing that out.
I did try reinstalling the app, but it's still doing the same thing. I also have another device that has older version of Tesla app, which is showing the same result. I've also tried resetting the inverter, but it didn't help either. Sounds like I need Tesla to fix this bug. :confused:

I've noticed this trend since mine was installed. If I pull the details down with my sense and emporia energy monitoring systems, I see that I pull slightly from the grid during a large draw increase from the house - i.e., electric clothes dryer kicking on, 5 ton AC starting, microwave starting, table saw turned on, etc. My guess has been that the gateway is balancing that increase across multiple inputs. I know the values are real, as I see my meter ticking up slightly when these happen and accrue over time. But, I also see the gateway (I assume) attempting to balance out the request by sending a small amount to the grid from the batteries.

1695035749547.png

Powerwalls can use up to about 200W doing nothing, but there's no requirement that that load has to be sourced from Solar power.
So the gateway algorithm for California may be deliberately allowing that small amount to come from the grid and thus letting you export more of your excess solar power, ultimately saving you money.

I just noticed I’m having the same issue with the importing and exporting of power from the utility grid. I’m also on self powering mode and my reserve back up is set to 20%. This started happening 3 days ago and I suspect my firmware was updated to 23.28.2 that day. What gives?