Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miraculous air conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. They probably are not using AUTO mode.
2. They probably have RANGE MODE on.

Best AC performance is with AUTO on and range mode OFF.
I have never used range mode, and while I do use auto fan, auto direction only makes the system even worse. I believe I have already stated that the difference where some people think it's great probably has to do with perception, and I stand by that. It blows plenty cold, so if you like cold air hitting you and don't need the space around you cooled, it's great, but it simply doesn't cool the space around you when it's actually hot outside, and if you try to make it do so, it flat out tells you it can't keep up.

Last month I took my 100D "S" on a long road trip from east to west coasts (10,000 miles) and out west Arizona and California I experienced my air conditioner struggling and blowing hot air every once and a while. It would only last for a minute or two and then go back to cold.. Could that be a compressor starting to fail ??

My take on this is as follows: When the recirc setting is in AUTO, the system will cycle fresh air every now and then so as to keep the cabin from getting stale. If the compressor happens to be at a low stage when the fresh cycle starts, you'll get hot air from outside. I have noticed this especially when it is humid or very hot out. Ideally, Tesla should program the system to step-up the compressor whenever it goes-into that temporary fresh-air stage. This would make the temperature more consistent.

My 5 seater has pretty good second row A/C circulation. There are two rear vents in the center console, two more in the B pillar doors and two more rear facing floor vents underneath the front seats. Plenty of flow.

I still tend to turn the A/C down a couple degrees when I have rear seat passengers, just to give them a little extra cooling. Do this on most of my cars.

Best AC performance is with AUTO on and range mode OFF.

Well, not in my experience.

I have no issues whatsoever with my car's ability to cool, but I do have to bump the fan speed up to be comfortable. On full auto, it is just too slow. I have my right scroll wheel programmed for fan speed so that I can bump it up or down as necessary and simply press to put it back in Auto. As far as vent direction, recirc etc., I just leave that all on Auto and it seems to be okay.

No, the A/C on the S and X works remarkably well. The Leaf isn't as good, the Model 3 isn't either.

Hmm, my experience has been the total opposite. The A/C in our X is merely adequate (it's a five-seater, though, so only a single A/C unit), but it's a revelation in the Model 3. Put another way, I have to set the temp to 67 in the X to stay comfortable. In the 3, I have it set to 73.

Also, the 3 moves a significantly higher volume of air than the X. And the 3's compressor seems to be quieter. Overall, it's just a darned good system.

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
Well, not in my experience.

I have no issues whatsoever with my car's ability to cool, but I do have to bump the fan speed up to be comfortable. On full auto, it is just too slow. I have my right scroll wheel programmed for fan speed so that I can bump it up or down as necessary and simply press to put it back in Auto. As far as vent direction, recirc etc., I just leave that all on Auto and it seems to be okay.

Turning the fan up is okay. It's when people turn both the temperature and fan down that makes it inefficient.

We have a new 7 passenger X.

One interesting feature - the rear A/C only runs if the software detects someone in the back 2 rows.

So if you only have people in the first row, all of the A/C is going to the front.

Of course, that means no A/C is going to the back of the car - which should be warmer than the front - not sure if that will have an overall impact for the driver and front passenger...

The rear A/C is not air directed from the front. A second A/C system is used for the back row(s) and the unit is located in the rear area of the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Turning the fan up is okay. It's when people turn both the temperature and fan down that makes it inefficient.

Leave the system in AUTO and just lower the temp setting a few degrees. This will up the fan speed. I've noticed that as the trip progresses, sometimes the cabin gets a little warmer over time (battery temp affecting cabin temp?) so I just lower the temp (usually down to 68 or so - I live in So Florida - and the fan kicks up after a few secs and the temp and air are quite nice.

Reactions: gavine
One last thought to my other replies -
I have a 6 passenger X P100D Premium with rear AC. I've spent a lot of time studying how this system cools myself. I aim all the dash vents as high as they will go and towards the center line of the vent itself (so not left or right of center of the vent). The outboard dash vents are aimed almost as high as they can go and the air is directed (for the driver) just above and to the left of my head (so I don't get a direct draft). The opposite for the passenger.

If I leave my car in a parking lot during the day, it's usually never longer than a few hours. Therefore I always "Leave AC On" when I leave the car. Since putting the X in park engages the "Easy Entry" driver profile (and moves my seat back and wheel up) the temperature is also remembered for that profile. So I make sure to set the temp to leave the car at AFTER the Easy Exit profile is recalled. That keeps the car's dash ductwork cool, the cabin cool and even my bottle of water in the center console stays quite cool while I'm gone from the car.

Frankly, the warmest my cabin gets is when it has been charging or overnight in our attached garage. The preconditioning function helps cool the cabin if you enable that feature and have some sort of a "learnable" routing the car can repeat daily.

On a hot day when I haven't had the "Leave AC ON" enabled, and I get back to a hot car (< 105) I set the temp at 66 when I first get started and raise it to 68 and then to 70 or 72 after the cabin reaches true comfort throughout. Fan tracks need nicely.

I routinely have Range Mode OFF, and when I do turn it on for a long round day-trip I find that the temp just needs to be dialed down a bit lower to meet comfort needs. I also have found that the back seat passengers are more comfortable with a slightly elevated fan speed (for their system, not the front AC).

Hope this helps some of you.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Bogobec and Anzir
My August 2018 Model X 100D 6 seater seems to have terrible A/C. It’s extremely loud, blows very hard, but the air is never cool. It feels often humid and spotty hot air or mildly cool. Sometimes it’s very cool, but often times especially on a 90+ degree day, it blows hot even on LO. I took it to service twice and they said the Freon was low, they topped it up. But second time they said it’s normal.