Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror auto tilt issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
When auto tilt is off, nothing changes (that’s ok).
When I turn auto tilt on and switch to reverse, both mirrors tilt.
However - when I switch back to drive, only the left mirror tilts back. The right mirror doesn’t.
Anyone else noticed this issue?

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin
Yup - I'm used to being able to program both mirrors independently in auto-tilt on a Model S. On the Y, auto-tilt just tilts both mirrors to some unchangeable preset and often doesn't return them to where they were.

I worked around this by creating another driver profile called "Parking" and saved the mirror position I wanted for parking in that profile. It is a pain to have switch driver profiles back and forth to park, but better than not being able to see where you are going.

I turned auto-tilt off as it just seems to mess up the mirrors.

You can adjust mirrors in reverse and it will be saved to your profile automatically
It seems there are a few issues on the Y here:

1 - You can't independently program the mirrors ie: keep the left mirror where is is and lower just the curb side mirror
2- Programming both mirrors doesn't reliably "stick" or always return to normal driving position
3- Both the regular and auto-tilt setting "drift" or sag over time with Auto-Tilt enabled

All this works correctly on my Model S, but not on the Y. This is a programming error, not a mechanical issue, so nothing mobile service can do about it. If you had never used the feature on another model, you might assume that it is working as the mirrors do lower in reverse, but it is not working the way it should.

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin
Hi,
When auto tilt is off, nothing changes (that’s ok).
When I turn auto tilt on and switch to reverse, both mirrors tilt.
However - when I switch back to drive, only the left mirror tilts back. The right mirror doesn’t.
Anyone else noticed this issue?

I have been having a lot of problems with getting my mirrors setup to minimize blinds spots. I am going to have to test to see if this is related to the mirror problem.

You might check out this if you haven't already seen it ...

2021 Model Y Sideview Mirrors Limited Adjustability
Thank you for being helpful, but I had seen it and called in a service call. The Mobile Service Tech, came out and rather than clipping the posts said he bent them back as this was "safer". It improved the visibility immediately. He was still here and even helped me do the mirror setup that is in this and other threads to eliminate the blind spot. I was very pleased. I was still not confident that I could see the 48" tall low sports car immediately next to the passenger side (e.g. MGB, Tesla roadster, Lotus Elan), but it was close as I adjusted the mirror to point as low as I could and still eliminate the blind spot. Typically this means I see the wheels and lower body panels of the cars next to me with the view opening up more as the cars get further back. However, it either it didn't last or something else is in play because the blind spot seems to be back especially at night. Thats why I tend to drive with the rear camera view on.

Last edited:
One thing that might be worth trying is to set the car to park, and then take the mirror (or both mirrors if they are both affected) through the entire vertical range of motion a couple of times. In other words, scroll all the way up until it won't go further and then scroll all the way down until it won't go further. Do that a couple of times, then set the mirror to where it should be and save the profile.

I had another issue with the seat back of the Model Y not adjusting when switching profiles even though all of the other movements were happening. I was able to resolve it (it has been almost a year, since with no issues) by taking the seat back all the way through it's range of motion a couple of times. When I then selected my profile it went all the way back, but then when I adjusted it after that and saved the profile it worked perfectly fine afterwards.

The only explanation I can think of for this is that there is a controller responsible for knowing what the position of various seat components are at any time and in some scenarios that can go out of calibration with the actual physical position of the seat. It seems that moving the seat element through the entire range of motion effectively recalibrates that range of motion for the seat element.

One thing that might be worth trying is to set the car to park, and then take the mirror (or both mirrors if they are both affected) through the entire vertical range of motion a couple of times. In other words, scroll all the way up until it won't go further and then scroll all the way down until it won't go further. Do that a couple of times, then set the mirror to where it should be and save the profile.

I had another issue with the seat back of the Model Y not adjusting when switching profiles even though all of the other movements were happening. I was able to resolve it (it has been almost a year, since with no issues) by taking the seat back all the way through it's range of motion a couple of times. When I then selected my profile it went all the way back, but then when I adjusted it after that and saved the profile it worked perfectly fine afterwards.

The only explanation I can think of for this is that there is a controller responsible for knowing what the position of various seat components are at any time and in some scenarios that can go out of calibration with the actual physical position of the seat. It seems that moving the seat element through the entire range of motion effectively recalibrates that range of motion for the seat element.

I tried it when I went to the gym club. When I drove back the mirrors were still well asjusted. But let's wait till tomorrow before opening a bottle of champagne!