Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Misleading X90 for sale? Advice on how to proceed with a Used vehicle purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mjptech

Being cyberbullied by TMC users PhilDavid + DCEV
Mar 30, 2019
Ventura
I just saw this one up on Craigslist: Tesla Model X 90D Dual Motor Silver Black with 22" wheels in warranty

But, looking at the VIN, and throwing it into EV-CPO shows a major discrepancy - I take it the seller (azsmartbet - looking at the vehicle info screenshot) is scamming or trying to mislead? He mentions that it has EAP, but, EV-CPO shows it's an AP1 vehicle with no Auto-presenting doors (contrary to the description).

5YJXCBE25GF013267

Is there any advice on how to verify a used Tesla for sale, if it wasn't ever up on Tesla's site (so can't use EV-CPO)?

I just saw this one up on Craigslist: Tesla Model X 90D Dual Motor Silver Black with 22" wheels in warranty

But, looking at the VIN, and throwing it into EV-CPO shows a major discrepancy - I take it the seller (azsmartbet - looking at the vehicle info screenshot) is scamming or trying to mislead? He mentions that it has EAP, but, EV-CPO shows it's an AP1 vehicle with no Auto-presenting doors (contrary to the description).

5YJXCBE25GF013267

Is there any advice on how to verify a used Tesla for sale, if it wasn't ever up on Tesla's site (so can't use EV-CPO)?
That seller is notorious for not listing things accurately. If you check his previous for sale threads, you can see he what I mean. He had been known to mention transferable Supercharging even when there isn't any. He claims he gets verification from Tesla concerning features, warranties, etc. but doesn't provide any proof. It looks like this car does actually have Supercharging and he mentioned the cutoff date we provided him. Several inaccuracies in this listing.

Many on here would suggest you consider buying from a different seller that provides accurate and honest listings.

Last edited:
One can look at the pictures and see that it doesn't have EAP. In an AP2 Tesla, the side turn signals have cameras and so do the b-pillars. That one is AP1.

Edit: I'm also fairly certain that EAP hardware was only introduced in November of 2016. So if this guy bought it in August 2016, it wouldn't have the hardware.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Thanks, all!

Yeah, I've been browsing here for a long time, and just finally registered last week due to another user's X for sale. I've seen the threads with azsmartbet's listings. Other than the exterior pictures (looking for the side marker camera or pillar cameras to determine AP2 or higher), how can one verify other features, for example, Ultra HiFi, or Subzero, or the Premium Upgrades Package - are there screenshots that can be requested, or certain pictures within the vehicle?

Thanks, all!

Yeah, I've been browsing here for a long time, and just finally registered last week due to another user's X for sale. I've seen the threads with azsmartbet's listings. Other than the exterior pictures (looking for the side marker camera or pillar cameras to determine AP2 or higher), how can one verify other features, for example, Ultra HiFi, or Subzero, or the Premium Upgrades Package - are there screenshots that can be requested, or certain pictures within the vehicle?
Ask for a picture of the Monroney sticker. It should list the car as it was sold new.

It looks like it becomes a slight problem when the car is at a dealership (unless the previous owner left them a copy)...

You could possibly get creative and ask for a picture of the touchscreen menus, if you know what options are provided by the sub zero package, etc. But really, for many of the software features the best way to check is to ask for a picture of the build sheet.

A possible alternative is to ask the owner to call Tesla and have them forward an accessory list based on the VIN. I'm not sure if Tesla will do that, but I do know they can give the owner the full service history. So maybe they can.