Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some advice on used purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I'm in the market for a used model S and have found the info on this forum invaluable so thank you!

I put down a deposit last week with Tesla directly on a 2016 model S 90d with 32k miles and the following specs
All-Wheel Drive, Range Upgrade, Titanium Metallic Paint,Sunroof, 19" Wheels, Black Next Genera,on Seats,Carbon Fiber Décor, Power and Lighting Package, Autopilot with convenience features, Premium Upgrades Package, Smart Air Suspension, Subzero Weather Package, No - 19" Wheels with Nokian Winter Tyres

The car has AP1 and based upon the photos nothing too major wrong with it. I've got a price of £41k agreed.

So far Tesla sales have been (predictably) rubbish and no contact from them in a week despite a number of emails from me and therefore I'm turning to here for a few questions I'd appreciate advice on:

1. Is the price (£41k) fair given all the extra specs above? Is there anywhere I can check? Ev cpo doesn't have the car anymore as I have put the deposit down.
2. The above specs include winter wheels. Does that mean I get normal wheels too? Or do I need to buy?
3. Those that have titanium colour what do you think? I really wanted blue or black but the specs have really clinched it for me so wanted to hear thoughts!
4. I've got the used car check list but is there anything specific I should look out for? It's a bit worrying for me as I normally buy from Audi or BmW and the cars are properly prepped!
5. Where can I find any service bulletins for my car?
6. Is AP2 a must have?

Again, appreciate the advice in advance!

My fist Model s was dark blue metallic. I worked more than usual to keep the paint looking shinny and free of micro scratches when washing. My second Model S is titanium and I am glad for the change. After an initial color correction and swirl removal,I have noticed that this color is much easier to keep looking shinny.

Make a stop at your local Service Center (if you are close) and start to build some relationships with the techs. Bring FOOD! Techs love FOOD! I do this monthly and it has made a significant difference in the level of service. Use the app to schedule service/appointment, then stop by and have a real conversation. Ask them to run your vin for bulletins or vehicle maintenance history.

Enjoy!!

Price is what the buyer will pay - nothing to do with what something is worth. Most important s to check what warranty you get and what it really covers since Tesla keep moving the goalposts.
As an example I stuck my 18mth 2018 S into Any Car to see what they would offer £50K - and it's got carbon trim, sunroof, AP2.5 and EAP (and cost 90K+ when new).
As for the tyres.. you can expect to need summer or all-seasons for the warmer weather so best part of £800+.
Most important is that you can't negotiate with Tesla so be seriously ready to walk away rather than being caught up in the excitement of a new type of ride.

You're buying a CPO, like I did 8 months ago - there were problems, some minor but others a bit more serious (front suspension rebuild) and they were all fixed under the reset warranty I got from Tesla (an additional 50K miles/4 years) - presumably you will be getting the same? You will be getting a car that is older than ours was but similar mileage and it's a 90D - ours is a 70D and you will be paying £2K less. On the other hand I don't think you have free supercharging - it's not worth as much as it sounds but it's nice to have. What about premium mobile data? Is that still free? We didn't have the sub-zero pack, which we'd like to have had. You have the smart air suspension, which is nice but can be expensive if it goes wrong. Early AP2 with the older 2nd-gen hardware is not as good as AP1 in my opinion. You need HW2.5 or later, so don't worry about that. I'm not up to date on prices but you are getting more car for less money than we did and we are happy.

Thank you both for your replies in terms of specs and price.

Yes it seems like a good deal but I've had zero correspondence from Tesla! I cant even ask them basic questions "like has it been serviced?!"

I dont want to travel potentially 50 miles to find the car is a dud as the pictures arent that great that they have sent.

Appreciate the advice!

I'll give them another week and see what happens!

It was kinda similar for me, too. They initially told me that the delivery day would be after a month. I got in touch with the service centre I was collecting the car from and they very kindly brought the delivery date forward. But this was before the rush of Model 3 deliveries. My car had a paint scab that was much worse on the nearside passenger door than in the photos and they agreed to fix it, though it took two visits as after the first it was quite clear the paint job was unfinished as it hadn't been properly polished. On the other hand, some very minor paint imperfections highlighted in the photos were nowhere to be seen! All-in-all - the car is fabulous; yes we'd have liked a better spec one, but we slightly exceeded our set budget but we do have the benefit of the warranty and I'm very glad I didn't stretch to an early AP2 car.

Hi - I just picked up my used MS75D on Friday from Tesla Heathrow. So - tyres notice it says "No" before the text that means you don't have winter tyres :) Mine came with 4 x new Michelins so nice surprise. Mine also came with 14K more miles 26K vs 40K which was not a nice surprise so that is being checked out! I love the car. Price 37,700 for a Dec 2016 with leather next gen seats, sun roof, light headlining, AP1, multicoat red etc so yours I think looks pretty decent value - look at the new price! And with a 4yr warranty that's great.

Hi - I just picked up my used MS75D on Friday from Tesla Heathrow. So - tyres notice it says "No" before the text that means you don't have winter tyres :) Mine came with 4 x new Michelins so nice surprise. Mine also came with 14K more miles 26K vs 40K which was not a nice surprise so that is being checked out! I love the car. Price 37,700 for a Dec 2016 with leather next gen seats, sun roof, light headlining, AP1, multicoat red etc so yours I think looks pretty decent value - look at the new price! And with a 4yr warranty that's great.
I was told the Michelins on mine were 12K miles but they looked brand new, as did the wheels. 10K miles on and the tyres are still looking good (alloys, not so good!). I drove a S75 loaner (not even a D) and it felt noticeably quicker than our 70D (an 'uncorked' car>), though AP2 was very bad. Glad I got the D though as the S75 was not fun accelerating in the rain!

Price sounds good.

Any major issues on the photos they send you and 'defects' raised? (My defects looked much worse in photos and were pretty minimal in real life)

Mine also seemed to have refurbed or new alloys and tyres.

afaik
used aka remarketed cars are managed from a separate team in Europe.
The sales people in the UK dont give a to$$ about used inventory as they have no interest in them as they dont count towards new car sales figures. Expect to feel somewhere between a second class citizen and an outright inconvenience (my expeience at West Drayton anyway).
The 70 point check seems to mean that they found the 70 point check form and ticked it. No more - though you will probably get tyres replaced if they are below minimum.
Prep will be variable but mostly cr@p.
Usual bodywork checks plus be prepared to lie on the floor and check your battery pack hasn't been clobbered on a speed bump etc and the undertrays are fitted correctly- not hanging on the floor like mine was, and a quick look for oil leaks (uncommon).
Check in particular that you have got the following accessories:
UMC plus 13A and Blue commando adapters; Type 2 cable - the big blue one (a get a spare one for me if you can as the buggers still owe me mine); and the first aid kit. These were all part of the original spec of the car and should be included, not bankrupting to replace but a pita if they are missing.
Personally I wouldn't prefer not to pay for it until I test drove it, but in my experience they won't let you, so you have to take your chances with that.
Most importantly though be prepared to walk if you are suspicious that it might be a dog. Getting service is increasingly hard work these days, best solution is not to need it.

In spite of all the above, chances are very high that you will get a great car to enjoy and a 90D with AP1 (which is just fine) is a good model especially at that price.