Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing App Customize options for new Powerwall 2 install, no PV [options appeared after a few days]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my two Powerwall 2 batteries installed yesterday. We don't have solar and it is a grid charge setup. We have the original main meter panel with the non-backed up circuits still in it. A 60 amp breaker in the now de-rated main panel brings across the grid power to the Tesla Battery Gateway which then controls a couple of PW2 batteries and a separate load center has the backed up circuits in it.
The installer set up everything at the end of the day and the batteries automagically appeared in my Tesla app.
After a quick system test, I powered the new batteries back on after 9pm yesterday evening so they could charge overnight at off peak energy rates and they're currently 98% charged according to the app.
When I select the 'Customize' option from the Tesla app, I only have one fixed option which is 'Backup-only' mode and there is no ability to change the % in the 'Reserve for Power Outages'. As such, right now 100% of the batteries are reserved for backup all the time.
Since we had to switch to a Time of Use plan with Southern California Edison in order to install the batteries, after discussing this at the outset with the contractor's sales rep and also watching the app video on Tesla's website, I was expecting to be able to program the Gateway so that the batteries discharge to power all the circuits (in the backup panel as well as the non-backed up circuits that are still in the main panel) during peak demand hours and then re-charge overnight.
I understand that the 'Self Powered' menu option would be missing from the Customization menu as we don't have solar however I don't understand why the 'Advanced Time Based Control' option is missing. It isn't even greyed out, its just not there.
When I log into my batteries from the desktop and look at the info, it also shows 'Backup Only' mode, even now that the batteries are fully charged. They seem to be working properly and when I select 'Go Off Grid' in the desktop interface, the Gateway switches the backup circuits over to the Powerwalls and disconnects from the grid. I have also tried resetting the Gateway (both hard reset with a power off and a 'soft' reset using the reset button in the Gateway panel).
Has anyone else seen this issue where the customization options are missing from the app and if so, how did you fix it?

Solution
It usually takes a few days after commissioning before the Advance Time Based Control option appears in the app. If it's not there by next week, give Tesla a call.
I got two Tesla Powerwalls installed yesterday. It's been about 24 hours but there's nothing in the Settings menu to change the mode. All I see is, "Set Backup Reserve" and "Configure Wi-Fi" when I go to Settings. I don't have solar.
How long does it take for the Time-based Control Mode to show up? I want to charge the batteries at night and discharge during peak hours. Do I really need to wait weeks for the city to inspect the installation and for the electricity company to issue PTO?
Took mine 4 days IIRC

Upvote 1
I got two Tesla Powerwalls installed yesterday. It's been about 24 hours but there's nothing in the Settings menu to change the mode. All I see is, "Set Backup Reserve" and "Configure Wi-Fi" when I go to Settings. I don't have solar.

You likely want to ask someone else in your exact circumstance, as the number of people here that have powerwalls but no solar on TMC as regular posters is quite small.

The only person off the top of my head I know of in that situation who is a poster here is @Zabe . You may want to PM them and ask directly what their experience on that was.

Upvote 0
FYI, my Powerwalls and Backup Gateway 2 were turned on this past Thursday afternoon. As soon as the installer (3rd party) registered the Powerwalls and associated my email address with the Powerwalls, they showed up on my Tesla app immediately (I already had a Tesla account because I have a Model 3). The Time-based Control wasn't there initially, but it showed up Saturday night (i.e., ~57 hours after registration).

I'm still not seeing the Vehicle Charging configuration option though. I have a whole house backup, and I'd hate for the batteries to be drained by Model 3 when there's an unexpected power outage overnight. Will this feature show up on the app at some point automatically? Not sure if it matters, but both Gateway and Model 3 are connected to the same WiFi network. Thanks!

Upvote 0
FYI, my Powerwalls and Backup Gateway 2 were turned on this past Thursday afternoon. As soon as the installer (3rd party) registered the Powerwalls and associated my email address with the Powerwalls, they showed up on my Tesla app immediately (I already had a Tesla account because I have a Model 3). The Time-based Control wasn't there initially, but it showed up Saturday night (i.e., ~57 hours after registration).

I'm still not seeing the Vehicle Charging configuration option though. I have a whole house backup, and I'd hate for the batteries to be drained by Model 3 when there's an unexpected power outage overnight. Will this feature show up on the app at some point automatically? Not sure if it matters, but both Gateway and Model 3 are connected to the same WiFi network. Thanks!

Im not sure if people without solar get that slider. Let us know if it shows up for you.

Upvote 0
How long does it take for the Time-based Control Mode to show up? I want to charge the batteries at night and discharge during peak hours. Do I really need to wait weeks for the city to inspect the installation and for the electricity company to issue PTO?
I had features randomly trickle in for like 3 weeks after install. There was no rhyme or reason to it. At first all I had was “self powered”, then time based control showed up like 5 days later, then the utility plan option showed up weeks later. The vehicle charging controls and “go off grid” options randomly showed up on different days well after install.

I still don’t have “backup only”, but I suspect this is due to the way my PWs were commissioned (the terms of my SGIP rebate say they need to be cycled, can’t be backup only).

Upvote 0
I had features randomly trickle in for like 3 weeks after install. There was no rhyme or reason to it. At first all I had was “self powered”, then time based control showed up like 5 days later, then the utility plan option showed up weeks later. The vehicle charging controls and “go off grid” options randomly showed up on different days well after install.

I still don’t have “backup only”, but I suspect this is due to the way my PWs were commissioned (the terms of my SGIP rebate say they need to be cycled, can’t be backup only).

They removed backup only with Version 4.0 of the tesla app. Self powered with 100% reserve is the new "backup only" for everyone with Tesla app > 4.0, SGIP or not. Self powered with 100% reserve is the same basic thing as backup only was, but its not a "1 click" like backup only was.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0