Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RCFLMA

Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2017
New England
Having driven my 2017 Model S90D into 47 states in the past two years, I am constantly amazed at the Supercharger infrastructure and the "moat" it has created in for the business model. In 2018, I was impressed how seamless the supercharger network was driving literally coast-to-coast. And this year, it was even easier.

However, there is still a major gap on I-40 between Little Rock (AR) and Tulsa (OK) which is just begging for something to be done around Ft Smith.

With ND and Canada coming on strong, it looks like the major northern gaps are finally being closed.

But there's a difference between gaps on highly traveled through-routes and travel endpoints.

I started wondering about what else might be missing. What large population centers are completely missing?

It seems to me that Charleston (SC) has no practical Supercharger service. Where else is missing?

Reactions: Fossil Fool
Agree that Charleston SC is a sore spot. For people traveling to the coast, the Supercharger coverage on the main interstate heading there in TN/NC/SC - I-26 - is sorely lacking. There are Superchargers on the major perpendicular highways, namely I-77 and I-95, that require an I-26 traveler to take at least a half hour detour to Supercharge.

Charleston is a big enough population center and vacation destination that it deserves a Supercharger too. What’s really hurting it is that I-95 takes an inland route through SC around the Lowcountry, so Charleston doesn’t get any through-travelers like Savannah, GA to more strongly justify a Supercharger (Savannah is a similar Southern Charm coastal vacation spot but happens to sit right on I-95 at the GA/SC border - also has possibly the worlds most inconvenient Supercharger location inside their airport’s gated parking garage).

Agree that Charleston SC is a sore spot. For people traveling to the coast, the Supercharger coverage on the main interstate heading there in TN/NC/SC - I-26 - is sorely lacking. There are Superchargers on the major perpendicular highways, namely I-77 and I-95, that require an I-26 traveler to take at least a half hour detour to Supercharge.

Charleston is a big enough population center and vacation destination that it deserves a Supercharger too. What’s really hurting it is that I-95 takes an inland route through SC around the Lowcountry, so Charleston doesn’t get any through-travelers like Savannah, GA to more strongly justify a Supercharger (Savannah is a similar Southern Charm coastal vacation spot but happens to sit right on I-95 at the GA/SC border - also has possibly the worlds most inconvenient Supercharger location inside their airport’s gated parking garage).

I stopped at the Savannah SC twice on a trip south. Why is it inconvenient? It is really quick to get into if you know where it is, shaded, and free no-cost exit. OK, not next to terminal, but a little walk in the shade to get to the bathroom is nice after hours of driving. Nice grass field next to parking, good for exercising the dog.

Along I-95 in South Carolina, Florence has a very nicely situated supercharger whereas Santee's is okay. The Savannah supercharger just across the border in Georgia, but is very convenient to the highway, although a bit weirdly placed in the parking garage. At least it's covered, and there are nice bathrooms but not much to eat at baggage claim.
Charleston has diddly.

We have been waiting not-so-patiently for the Charleston SC’s arrival since it was initially projected for opening in late 2017. Destination chargers are available but not a solution if you need a quick charge.

Hilton Head is another market that desperately needs more charging infrastructure. If you are coming from the north, your Santee charge is dwindling fast once you hit the island. There are very few destination chargers on the island and no SC’s until Savanah.

Of course a lot of these issues are mitigated by the long range machines being produced now. My P85D, however, needs more frequent charging than is available in either city currently.