Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing Registration Papers and Inability to Reach Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone having dismal experience with vehicle delivery and related registration paperwork ?

I live in Michigan - I bought my pre-owned X (second Tesla in the family, my third and probably the last one), from Tesla’s Chicago delivery center. First for a $100k+ vehicle I had a totally non-personal delivery experience. They instructed you to simply pickup the car from the lot and deposit the red folder in their box ! And drive away.

Second more importantly - after two weeks the Clarkston MI service center fedexed me the registration paper work. The letter inside said there were four documents enclosed. Yet it was missing two of the four - missing the bill of sale and missing the sales tax transaction form. So I had to cancel my Secretary of State appointment for title transfer and plates . This was a week ago.

I’ve been continuously trying to reach the Chicago center via phone or text but no one responds. I call the Clarkston service center repeatedly and no one picks up the phone. Tesla’s IVR simply reroutes you to the communicate via text or online message - and that channel is totally unresponsive. So I’m in the proverbial “do loop”.

Tesla has COMPLETELY FAILED when it comes to Customer Service.

So now here I sit with the temporary Illinois registration sticker expiring and no idea how to get their attention to solve this issue.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Atul Gupta

Anyone having dismal experience with vehicle delivery and related registration paperwork ?

I live in Michigan - I bought my pre-owned X (second Tesla in the family, my third and probably the last one), from Tesla’s Chicago delivery center. First for a $100k+ vehicle I had a totally non-personal delivery experience. They instructed you to simply pickup the car from the lot and deposit the red folder in their box ! And drive away.

Second more importantly - after two weeks the Clarkston MI service center fedexed me the registration paper work. The letter inside said there were four documents enclosed. Yet it was missing two of the four - missing the bill of sale and missing the sales tax transaction form. So I had to cancel my Secretary of State appointment for title transfer and plates . This was a week ago.

I’ve been continuously trying to reach the Chicago center via phone or text but no one responds. I call the Clarkston service center repeatedly and no one picks up the phone. Tesla’s IVR simply reroutes you to the communicate via text or online message - and that channel is totally unresponsive. So I’m in the proverbial “do loop”.

Tesla has COMPLETELY FAILED when it comes to Customer Service.

So now here I sit with the temporary Illinois registration sticker expiring and no idea how to get their attention to solve this issue.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Atul Gupta
The same documents were missing from my set as well. Only difference was mine was a new X, picked up in Indianapolis. Paperwork handled by email from Grand Rapids. They finally sent me the Sales Tax calculation and completed bill of sale. But it still took me multiple trips to the BMV to get it registered.

My suggestion would be to reach out to <whatever your delivery center is called>[email protected] via email. That is how I got the copies back that I needed, within a couple of hours.

There has to be a happy medium between old style dealers that waste your time sending you to trade in guy then warantee upsell guy then finance guy then finally paperwork signing guy. VS the Tesla hands off way with no support at time of sale. Expected to take delivery of 2022 MX w/o even having sat in it! FOBS not paired, zero people wanted to answered questions. And try to talk to a people at the Tesla dealership after the fact on the phone!

The old dealer way is a waste of time, the new Tesla way is just too minimal. SOMEONE has to find the right balance because both ways are not ideal.

There has to be a happy medium between old style dealers that waste your time sending you to trade in guy then warantee upsell guy then finance guy then finally paperwork signing guy. VS the Tesla hands off way with no support at time of sale. Expected to take delivery of 2022 MX w/o even having sat in it! FOBS not paired, zero people wanted to answered questions. And try to talk to a people at the Tesla dealership after the fact on the phone!

The old dealer way is a waste of time, the new Tesla way is just too minimal. SOMEONE has to find the right balance because both ways are not ideal.
I agree. The problem is simply that Tesla does not have and/or cannot find enough people to support the tremendous amount of product they are delivering. Make sure you do not leave the transaction site without having a local email address. In my case the delivery center is only 20 minutes away, so I can go over just to ask a question. But if you are hundreds of miles away, not so easy.

It does not bother me all that much that there are not folks answering the phone. Telephone calls are such a waste of time, both for the vendor and the customer. But you do have to make sure you have an email address. Looking at it from the other side, I don't think there is any other company, certainly not a car company, doing it significantly better than Tesla. They are actually delivering product ...eventually. Heck, they have delivered three million cars without a single dealer, and no advertising. Impressive. Although certainly not without issues that need to be fixed.