Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Data Cable missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I originally made my order for a Tesla on February 2022 my original delivery time frame was 4-5 months and i did not receive it till November 2022, On top of that i have been in conversation with the Tesla service center about the need to fit the missing Data Cable, Originally when i test drove the vehicle in Fen 2023 I was notified of the center console Data capability feature rear (behind the passenger seat) speakers and a few other things as well, however upon receipt of my vehicle i noted that the center console data capability was missing, upon a lot of googling and doing some further research i found out that all Model 3's that were manufactured as of 4 July 2022 had quiet a few things missing such as my missing heat pump trim gasket two missing rear speakers and of course the center console data cable,

I personally feel as a customer I was not provided the car i test drove and was advertised by the sales person, any of you who have purchased this vehicle around that date might be in the same boat, I have requested the installation of the missing data cable via the service app and Spoke to Bradley from the wellington service team who advised that the Tesla policy does not allow for the retrofit of the data cable as i was delivered a configuration of a vehicle that was manufactured after the 4 July 2022 (it was July 7 2022). Now as a customer i feel shortchanged by tesla. They can also not fit the USB Data cable as it may have implications to the CPU ( this makes no sense) the CPU and all are the same for that model and the one prior to 4 July 2022)

I am looking to take the complaint to the commerce commission in relation to the way Tesla has dealt with the matter. Tesla should deliver the features to the vehicle that they advertised to customers. If any one else has had this experience before please let me know.

I am also concerned about why the Boombox was excluded and customers were later made to pay extra for the product and install, when it was one of the features of the vehicle. Any other issues you think might add to this would be good to know.

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
PWS which includes boombox has never been included with NZ cars, is not a legal requirement for NZ
it's a feature NZ cars don't have the same way US cars don't have amber turn signals and European, NZ and Au cars do

As far as I know the data connection in the back of the center console is not an advertised feature. it was discovered investigated
and made use of by 3rd party software developers.

What model 3 do you own, the rear wheel drive has less speakers and amp than the AWD.
They used to be phyically there but not connected. Hansshow make a wiring harness to connect the disconnected speakers

When I ordered my car homelink was listed as included
There was no mention of premium connectivity
When it was delivered homelink was no longer included and was an extra $300 option and you had to pay for premium connectivity
Tesla fitted homelink and included premium connectivity for free

Reactions: montybhai
PWS which includes boombox has never been included with NZ cars, is not a legal requirement for NZ
it's a feature NZ cars don't have the same way US cars don't have amber turn signals and European, NZ and Au cars do

As far as I know the data connection in the back of the center console is not an advertised feature. it was discovered investigated
and made use of by 3rd party software developers.

What model 3 do you own, the rear wheel drive has less speakers and amp than the AWD.
They used to be phyically there but not connected. Hansshow make a wiring harness to connect the disconnected speakers

When I ordered my car homelink was listed as included
There was no mention of premium connectivity
When it was delivered homelink was no longer included and was an extra $300 option and you had to pay for premium connectivity
Tesla fitted homelink and included premium connectivity for free
I used hanshaw harness to connect all speakers... however recently Tesla disabled them via software.

I used hanshaw harness to connect all speakers... however recently Tesla disabled them via software.
This is what is wrong with tesla, if the ICE cars speakers and amp can be added and changed then tesla should not have control on disabling something that was already installed in the car, remember we paid and received for all the speakers already installed.

• Funny
Hello all,

I originally made my order for a Tesla on February 2022 my original delivery time frame was 4-5 months and i did not receive it till November 2022, On top of that i have been in conversation with the Tesla service center about the need to fit the missing Data Cable, Originally when i test drove the vehicle in Fen 2023 I was notified of the center console Data capability feature rear (behind the passenger seat) speakers and a few other things as well, however upon receipt of my vehicle i noted that the center console data capability was missing, upon a lot of googling and doing some further research i found out that all Model 3's that were manufactured as of 4 July 2022 had quiet a few things missing such as my missing heat pump trim gasket two missing rear speakers and of course the center console data cable,

I personally feel as a customer I was not provided the car i test drove and was advertised by the sales person, any of you who have purchased this vehicle around that date might be in the same boat, I have requested the installation of the missing data cable via the service app and Spoke to Bradley from the wellington service team who advised that the Tesla policy does not allow for the retrofit of the data cable as i was delivered a configuration of a vehicle that was manufactured after the 4 July 2022 (it was July 7 2022). Now as a customer i feel shortchanged by tesla. They can also not fit the USB Data cable as it may have implications to the CPU ( this makes no sense) the CPU and all are the same for that model and the one prior to 4 July 2022)

I am looking to take the complaint to the commerce commission in relation to the way Tesla has dealt with the matter. Tesla should deliver the features to the vehicle that they advertised to customers. If any one else has had this experience before please let me know.

I am also concerned about why the Boombox was excluded and customers were later made to pay extra for the product and install, when it was one of the features of the vehicle. Any other issues you think might add to this would be good to know.
You have a point, but not a case.

Tesla order agreement indicates that you are ordering the vehicle of chosen configuration (limited configuration are mentioned as option to customise).... mode of the actual language is like
If your Vehicle is new, it is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.

1696358463429.png

Like it or not it's different car than traditional car buying.. you had no dealer selling it, you bought it online like a pizza... pizza with no guarantee when it will be delivered. however they allowed you to choose crust and toppings. in this case number of motors, type of wheels, colour, and EAP/FSD as customisation options.... however, they offer almost lifetime updates with all new exciting features without charging extra for them (old traditional cars charged for all of them) - which is awesome - but comes with twist - features can be added or removed (like my speakers are now software disabled, because car didn't had premium music by default).

Many took case to tesla and lost, because if you want to be reimbursed for missing feature - you need to be ready to pay for new features... Tesla is selling car with no promise on specific hardware extras (PWS, Speakers, Data cable) - same like all car manufacturer... they are all extras and come at cost.

test drive vehicle is demo vehicle... features are never same as car you order afterwards... unlike traditional cars where you test drive and as vehicle only rarely change over few years, you exactly get the same.

You can either try to fight and ruin your Tesla experience. or buy data module for $85 and install yourself - get way more than 2 USB C cables and can even charge your laptop from it.... choice is yours... however, sadly you don't have a case from my understanding.

Reactions: Ecoli and montybhai
You have a point, but not a case.

Tesla order agreement indicates that you are ordering the vehicle of chosen configuration (limited configuration are mentioned as option to customise).... mode of the actual language is like
If your Vehicle is new, it is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.

View attachment 979316

Like it or not it's different car than traditional car buying.. you had no dealer selling it, you bought it online like a pizza... pizza with no guarantee when it will be delivered. however they allowed you to choose crust and toppings. in this case number of motors, type of wheels, colour, and EAP/FSD as customisation options.... however, they offer almost lifetime updates with all new exciting features without charging extra for them (old traditional cars charged for all of them) - which is awesome - but comes with twist - features can be added or removed (like my speakers are now software disabled, because car didn't had premium music by default).

Many took case to tesla and lost, because if you want to be reimbursed for missing feature - you need to be ready to pay for new features... Tesla is selling car with no promise on specific hardware extras (PWS, Speakers, Data cable) - same like all car manufacturer... they are all extras and come at cost.

test drive vehicle is demo vehicle... features are never same as car you order afterwards... unlike traditional cars where you test drive and as vehicle only rarely change over few years, you exactly get the same.

You can either try to fight and ruin your Tesla experience. or buy data module for $85 and install yourself - get way more than 2 USB C cables and can even charge your laptop from it.... choice is yours... however, sadly you don't have a case from my understanding.

Thank you for that, but I have to try I believe in the saying if you don't stand up for something, then you will fall for anything.

This is what is wrong with tesla, if the ICE cars speakers and amp can be added and changed then tesla should not have control on disabling something that was already installed in the car, remember we paid and received for all the speakers already installed.
I don't think that's the case at all
If you buy something from a 3rd party to enable something your car didn't come with. You take your chances of it possibly not working in the future
Teslas are not like traditional ice cars

Aftermarket power boot and frunk had the same problem Tesla would update something in the software and they would stop working. Owners would have to try and find workarounds or wait for their provider to come up with an update to get i them working again. I don't think this happens as often as it used to.

Tesla isn't responsible for some other 3rd party addon enabling something your car didn't come with.

I don't think that's the case at all
If you buy something from a 3rd party to enable something your car didn't come with. You take your chances of it possibly not working in the future
Teslas are not like traditional ice cars

Aftermarket power boot and frunk had the same problem Tesla would update something in the software and they would stop working. Owners would have to try and find workarounds or wait for their provider to come up with an update to get i them working again. I don't think this happens as often as it used to.

Tesla isn't responsible for some other 3rd party addon enabling something your car didn't come with.
I am not asking them to for an aftermarket one I want them to fit the original one

well... I bought aftermarket harness to connect speakers which weren't suppose to be there in first place as I didn't paid for premium music package... so complaining is more like confessing the crime?

I am not asking them to for an aftermarket one I want them to fit the original one
Original one which is not part of the car anymore when your car was built... and not part of the cars since your car was built.
so technically it is not standard equipment anymore - it is aftermarket.

Did you use data cable in demo car when doing test drive? did you receive anything in writing or verbal from Tesla that this is going to be in your car when it's delivered?

If you focus on positive - your car came with better and bit bigger battery and improved suspensions compare to what you drive as a demo car.

I am all on your side, just trying to play devil's advocate and asking the most sensible question anyone would ask first ;)

Reactions: Ecoli and montybhai