Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mixing Gen 2 and Gen 3 Wall Chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a Gen 2 Wall Charger that I used with my 2019 Model S. Gets up to 48A. Works great. No issues charging the Model S.

Have a Model Y LR on order for my wife and for convenience ordered a Gen 3 Wall Charger (the one with WiFi).

My question, can the Gen 2 and Gen 3 wall chargers be used together easily? Looking at the Gen 3 install manual, it mentions WiFi-based load balancing when using other Gen 3's. I'm not adverse to replacing the Gen 2 with another Gen 3 so both cars can be convenient charged overnight during off-peak hours.

Any advice / comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think load sharing between 2/3's work, so maybe grab another Gen 3 & sell your Gen 2 🤷‍♂️
Thanks. Can't mix Gen2 and Gen3 is the impression I had. Found this other thread that concurs. Don't mix.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Yeah, OP you cant load share between the two of them, but if you have enough capacity in your panel to use both separately (meaning NOT load shared) even if you cant use them both at 60amps, you could theoretically use them.

I looked into this because I was in the same situation as you, but wanted to keep the gen 2 I had, so ended up hunting down another gen 2. As I said in that other thread, I like the gen 2 better than the gen 3, but thats a personal thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jeff Hudson