Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 or Gen 3 Wall connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD and am looking to buy a home charger.

I’ve been finding mixed reviews whether I should get a gem 2 or gen 3. Somewhere said the Gen 3 charger is only compatible with cars manufactured after May 1, 2019 but I can’t find any proof to back that up.

Any thoughts on Gen 2 vs Gen 3?

Reactions: Jedisparky
Somewhere said the Gen 3 charger is only compatible with cars manufactured after May 1, 2019 but I can’t find any proof to back that up.

I can tell you unequivocally that this is NOT correct. I can say that, as I have a 2018 Model 3P that has been happily charging from the gen 2 wall connector since I bought it, December of 2018.

I can also tell you 1000% that people with model S / X vehicles as old as the launch of the Gen 2 wall connector have also been successfully charging from a Gen 2 wall connector.

Since, in order to buy a Gen 2 wall connector you either have to either find "new old stock" from a private party, or buy used, and tesla doesnt even have parts for gen 2 wall connectors, if you are asking the question about which to buy, you probably should be buying a gen 3 since its more available, not used or "new old stock", has a warranty, etc.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Thp3
Upvote 0