Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MKBHD Dumps on Tesla’s Yoke Implementation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just accepted delivery of my S today, and I can tell you my personal feelings on the yoke. It sucks ass. Maybe i'll get used to it, but try doing a U-Turn with a yoke. It's neither fun nor easy.

Like anything, you need to know what you are doing. Marques Brownee has explained how it becomes second nature once you actually know what you're doing. And this thread is based upon his initial bad reaction.

The number of people here who act like learning how to use a new tool is a daunting task blows my mind but I can see how it does require more driving skills than a wheel that is exactly the same no matter which way it's turned. I come from a motorcycle background so maybe I'm biased.

I just accepted delivery of my S today, and I can tell you my personal feelings on the yoke. It sucks ass. Maybe i'll get used to it, but try doing a U-Turn with a yoke. It's neither fun nor easy.

Check back after you have put a few thousand miles on it and let us know how the adaption process went. I'm interested in how long it takes you to become totally comfortable with it.

You will get use to it. U-turns are fine now I did two yesterday where I shouldn't with traffic approaching and it was fine. The kids couldn't decide on what to have for dinner lol.

It's real simple; even if I get used to it over time nobody who has never driven one will be proficient. By your own admission. With my Model S's now, I regularly will tell someone who's never been in one "here, you drive" and sit back and relax knowing that it's dead simple, no explanation is needed and there's no learning curve other than a slight lurch forward the first couple of times they remove their foot from the accelerator. Now, with this learning curve, if I owned one there is no way I'd throw that option out there. Especially since this almost always occurs in town or in a busy neighborhood where they'll be doing low speed maneuvers immediately. No thanks.

Not to mention it increases IC visibility which is literally never a complaint I've ever heard on any of these or other forums in the decade this car has been out in this exact configuration in a climate where so many are looking for ANY reason to knock the vehicle. It also now blocks the left 1/3rd of the main display which serves to decrease visibility of the main display. Not to mention it's now large enough that if you have man-size thighs it can actually make contact with your legs during common operation. Not good. Oh and it does all of this at the sacrifice of a common sense solution that is truly the most intuitive of the possible solutions. This is the definition of a solution looking for a problem unsuccessfully.

If you want to do something because it "looks cool" then just admit it. At least then I can understand how someone just has poor taste and likes the way this goofy looking thing looks. Trying to act like it's somehow some sort of functional improvement over what has been around for a century is silly. If they had deployed it properly to where the driver never has to cross up their hands from lock-to-lock as it's used properly in racing situations they would have some ground to stand on. Instead, the way they've implemented this in a street car is asinine. It's indefensible.

Superior tool? Hardly.

We didn't even get into the abomination that is the stalk-less "solution" included with this clown show.
I've provided my S to many who have never driven a Tesla. VERY few were proficient straight away without at least a basic explanation about what was going on.
Should we have a start button in the car because all other cars have them and it is unsafe to have the car start itself without a button push?
Should we go back to horses on carriages because these automobile things are unsafe at speed and pollute our environment?

Ok, the second example is ubsurd but you see where I am going. Most people do not like new things. Is is better? Well, beauty is in the eye. I'm neutral. For me, the buttons suck but the blinker update took away 75% of my aggravation.

One thing I do get is that the updated S is a completely different car that looks nearly identical to the previous version. If you walk up to an S in a parking lot you instantly know it is a refresh if it only has half a wheel. From that perspective, I get the differentiation. Have we not learned from politics and social media of late that conflict drives more discussion? Elon is simply lighting the automotive world's hair on fire. Think of him as the king of free press.

I've provided my S to many who have never driven a Tesla. VERY few were proficient straight away without at least a basic explanation about what was going on.
Should we have a start button in the car because all other cars have them and it is unsafe to have the car start itself without a button push?
Should we go back to horses on carriages because these automobile things are unsafe at speed and pollute our environment?

Ok, the second example is ubsurd but you see where I am going. Most people do not like new things. Is is better? Well, beauty is in the eye. I'm neutral. For me, the buttons suck but the blinker update took away 75% of my aggravation.

One thing I do get is that the updated S is a completely different car that looks nearly identical to the previous version. If you walk up to an S in a parking lot you instantly know it is a refresh if it only has half a wheel. From that perspective, I get the differentiation. Have we not learned from politics and social media of late that conflict drives more discussion? Elon is simply lighting the automotive world's hair on fire. Think of him as the king of free press.
Most important point in there is that the new S feels nothing like its predecessor. If you’re driving a pre-refresh, you really need to drive one.

Reactions: lolachampcar