Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Access Disabled until car wakes up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
For the last couple of weeks, after the car goes to sleep, I see "Mobile Access Disabled" in the app even though I checked and none of the profiles are set as such. I tried toggling it off then on and no change. I am on an old version 2022.20.7. App version was updated to 4.23.6-1844.

Previously it would spin and wake the car. Now even walking up to car there is no way to even use the bluetooth based app buttons until it wakes, given those buttons only show while it is spinning.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? A google search turns up nothing other than a result that links to data.ai that suggests an IOS review had someone mention the same, but can't see it directly.

I have no idea whatsoever, but from a lifetime spent troubleshooting IT systems in my day job, my gut feeling is that there is some dependency in the newer version of the app that is not syncing up properly with that old car firmware version.

Its not likely that Tesla would test the new app with the old firmware, on a vehicle type that is capable of (and from their point of view, "should have") upgraded to a newer firmware version.

Not sure if you have a way to go back to the older app version you were on before you updated, but thats what I would be looking into if I was in your shoes.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
I have no idea whatsoever, but from a lifetime spent troubleshooting IT systems in my day job, my gut feeling is that there is some dependency in the newer version of the app that is not syncing up properly with that old car firmware version.

Its not likely that Tesla would test the new app with the old firmware, on a vehicle type that is capable of (and from their point of view, "should have") upgraded to a newer firmware version.

Not sure if you have a way to go back to the older app version you were on before you updated, but thats what I would be looking into if I was in your shoes.
The thing is it was working fine previously. I have another phone on an older 4.20.70-1700 and it has the same problem, and that version was out for months. Just started happening to both phones recently.

Since the previous post, I have tried rebooting the car, as well as logging in and out of the app with no change.

Yeah, same problem here as well…most annoying. For us, the biggest issue is the inability to remotely trigger pre-heat/cool the cabin. Happened, I think, one or two app updates ago which for me is now v4.24.0 on iOS. Happens as @stopcrazypp succinctly describes on both our iPhone13minis, an iPadPro and an iPadAir. My Model 3 is intentionally on older software: v2022.20.8. Until whichever app update initiated the problem, everything worked well before. No solution that I’ve found other than to wait and hope.

Maybe the nuclear option, i.e., a service appointment? Oh yeah, can’t do that either unless near/in the car with “Mobile Access Denied.”

Yeah, same problem here as well…most annoying. For us, the biggest issue is the inability to remotely trigger pre-heat/cool the cabin. Happened, I think, one or two app updates ago which for me is now v4.24.0 on iOS. Happens as @stopcrazypp succinctly describes on both our iPhone13minis, an iPadPro and an iPadAir. My Model 3 is intentionally on older software: v2022.20.8. Until whichever app update initiated the problem, everything worked well before. No solution that I’ve found other than to wait and hope.

Maybe the nuclear option, i.e., a service appointment? Oh yeah, can’t do that either unless near/in the car with “Mobile Access Denied.”
I found a workaround that at least allows using the bluetooth controls. Basically if you force close the app, it will show the controls briefly and this gives you a time window to either use the quick controls or to click in to one of the pages (like Controls). I tested that even in those pages, there is no way to wake the car (gives request time out error if trying a control), but if switching bluetooth on and near the car, at least it allows using the bluetooth based functions (like lock/unlock or trunk).

After car wakes up, the commands previously requested over LTE are executed at once (see my car unlocking and opening trunk). However, before the car wakes up, no LTE based controls work. Seems like either the car no longer pings Tesla servers to listen for the wake up command, or Tesla changed the way it pings it.

I found another reddit where the person mentioned after they updated the car to a version with radar disabled, the problem was fixed.

Perhaps Tesla is using this as a way to force people to update their cars? I will probably wait it out for a while first, as it's not mission critical to me at the moment.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SalisburySam
I had the same problem (Allow Mobile Access message) with my 2021 3. It seemed to come out of nowhere - one morning; all of a sudden the phone key, the walkaway lock, location service, etc. all stopped working on the phone app. Then I deleted the app off my phone, and reloaded it from the App Store, re-logged in. That worked for about 2 hours, and then the message and disabled functions came back. I went to Tesla service, and they couldn't figure it out.

So I grit my teeth, and reluctantly pulled the update download to 2023.26.8. That did the trick. All is back to normal.

Maybe the nuclear option, i.e., a service appointment?

You definitely 100% do not want to do that, unless you also are fine with them updating you to whatever the latest firmware version is staged for your car. Teslas warranty information states that they expect cars to be on the latest firmware available for the car. The VERY FIRST THING they would do in this instance is update your firmware, and you would not be able to go back.

• Helpful
You definitely 100% do not want to do that, unless you also are fine with them updating you to whatever the latest firmware version is staged for your car. Teslas warranty information states that they expect cars to be on the latest firmware available for the car. The VERY FIRST THING they would do in this instance is update your firmware, and you would not be able to go back.
Yeah, that’s what I figured, and why I called it the nuclear option. We’ve decided to accept the loss of mobile access in favor of nerfing so many of our Model 3’s features with current software versions. So disappointing.

I am having this issue and I’m traveling abroad and have been using remote access to ensure charge and keep track of my car. With this problem I’m not able to check status of charge or my car, and I can even contact support because the app doesn’t let you do anything…I tried to find contact information for customer support and all the choices just lead to support articles, no way try talk to or email a human…quite frustrating, any suggestions? Can anyone confirm whether the charge mileage at least is accurate and updating? (For instance, mine shows 108 miles)

Attachments

• IMG_3588.jpeg
    IMG_3588.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_3589.jpeg
    IMG_3589.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 56
I am having this issue and I’m traveling abroad and have been using remote access to ensure charge and keep track of my car. With this problem I’m not able to check status of charge or my car, and I can even contact support because the app doesn’t let you do anything…I tried to find contact information for customer support and all the choices just lead to support articles, no way try talk to or email a human…quite frustrating, any suggestions? Can anyone confirm whether the charge mileage at least is accurate and updating? (For instance, mine shows 108 miles)
You can access the service menu using the workaround I mentioned. Basically have internet off on your phone, click service, then turn on internet. However it seems to still not let you request service. Your car must be awake for it to do so. If you are on 2022.20.8 or older and have a staged update, I don't think contacting service will help, because the first thing they will do is ask you to update.

Unfortunately I don't think the miles is updated, it is likely cached. Your only hope is to catch the car while it is awake (which it may wake up for a short while to recharge the 12V battery). If you force close the app you will see a message for a split second "Last seen x days ago" which will tell you when was the last updated info from the car.

Last edited:
This seems to be the only possible solution. Anyone know how to do this?
If you have android you can google older versions and sideload it. With IOS I don't think there is a way.

However, I'm skeptical an older app version would matter. I have an older phone on an older 4.20.70-1700 and it also doesn't work. I don't think it's the app's problem. It's has to do with the way Tesla issues the wake command and how the car listens for the wake command. Supposedly it is text message based, so something may have changed on the network.

• Informative
I have to do a long trip soon and need to use the app, so I gave in and updated to 2022.44.25.3 (the loaded update for my car). After an overnight sleep cycle, the app works like normal now, which confirms it is because of the car version.

For what it's worth, here in the Bay Area, I didn't notice much difference between it and the radar based AP on the highway, but I only went on one drive so far.

Next update it is asking me to download is 2023.26.9, but I will hold off for now in case there are bugs (seems like it's a very new version).

Still on v2022.20.8 but the app shows an update downloaded and ready to install for v2023.26.11, IIRC. Really sorry to learn the app version no longer plays nicely with the older car version. So I either get my car crippled by going to TV, or the remote functionality crippled by not going to TV. Yeah, really not loving this part of the “experience.”

Has anyone sent a bug report or a service appointment? I mean they can't force us to update to a certain version and the App was advertised when the car was bought. So they have no legal way of doing that. Not that that has stopped Tesla from doing things in the past, but still...
Also the issue is definetely server side and has nothing to do with App version as I use the same old App version as before - they are basically forcing people to update this way.