Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile app not connecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since 16 Aug, I haven’t been able to connect to my 2015 Model S 85D via the mobile app. I’ve tried when the car is on WiFi and LTE, and I’ve also tried logging out and back in to mobile sharing in the car. Any ideas what might be causing this?

I had a similar problem earlier this month. I rang the Tesla help line and the person there said they'd not heard of anyone else with the problem. However shortly thereafter the app started connecting again. I also turned off the phone's wifi so the phone was only talking to the outside world via the cell signal. I don't know if Tesla did something or turning off wifi fixed it.

I don't think it's a connectivity issue with my phone. I've tried it on wifi, cellular, force closing the app, etc.

I'm afraid to sign out because last time I did that, I couldn't sign back in so I couldn't schedule service, and attempting to call the local service center is a road to no where, even after leaving multiple messages over multiple days... I'm a huge Tesla fan but man, what a terrible design lol.

The last time this happened (fairly recently actually), three weeks later my screen wouldn't even turn on and the car was stuck in my garage (couldn't enter pin to drive). I had to get the car towed to Tesla and apparently my map SD card was corrupt so they basically reformatted it, restored my car to factory settings and did a firmware update. They claim my eMMC was "within limits" and did not need to be replaced.

I'm a bit worried this is symptom of my eMMC going bad.

Last edited:
Attempted a couple resets (holding in on the scroll wheels and top steering wheel buttons) but still unable to connect. I scheduled service through my phone first then tried logging out and back in on the mobile app and as expected, it did not fix the issue. Mobile service will be out here in a couple weeks so I'll post an update on what they find.

Hi @shred86,

It sounds like your emmc is on the way out...

Some things to try: Delete the app. and add it back to the phone...
Then try again...

You did not mention iPhone or Android... I have iPhone and delete and add back
perhaps once a month. Verizon is my carrier...
Current level of software on iPhone is 3.10.8
It was updated a few days ago...

Good news on the emmc front - Tesla is now replacing the Tegra board only for about $500.

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi @shred86,

It sounds like your emmc is on the way out...

Some things to try: Delete the app. and add it back to the phone...
Then try again...

You did not mention iPhone or Android... I have iPhone and delete and add back
perhaps once a month. Verizon is my carrier...
Current level of software on iPhone is 3.10.8
It was updated a few days ago...

Good news on the emmc front - Tesla is now replacing the Tegra board only for about $500.

Good luck,

Shawn

It seems Tesla service seems to think so as well. Received an email on Friday that my mobile service was cancelled and they rescheduled me to bring the car in. Yesterday I received an email for a part that was ordered:
  1. MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISIONED (64GB)
    Part #: 2728211-S0-A
    Order Date: August 29, 2020
    Ship Date: Pending
I did put in the notes when I made the service appointment that I suspected the eMMC was going bad. I’ve also noticed Bluetooth takes a while to connect to my phone (much slower than before).

Still have about a week and a half until the appointment, so I’m hoping the car will hold up until them.

It seems Tesla service seems to think so as well. Received an email on Friday that my mobile service was cancelled and they rescheduled me to bring the car in. Yesterday I received an email for a part that was ordered:
  1. MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISIONED (64GB)
    Part #: 2728211-S0-A
    Order Date: August 29, 2020
    Ship Date: Pending
I did put in the notes when I made the service appointment that I suspected the eMMC was going bad. I’ve also noticed Bluetooth takes a while to connect to my phone (much slower than before).

Still have about a week and a half until the appointment, so I’m hoping the car will hold up until them.

Did you have to pay for the replacement or was it covered under warranty?