Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile App shows all panel energy going to grid but I'm at home using electricity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Friends,

I just activated my Tesla Solar Panel + Powerwall system last Friday, so it's been running about 3 days now. The app seems really cool but it appears that the monitoring isn't working correctly.

My system is a 7kW system (22 panels * 330 watts). I also have 2 Powerwall Gen 2 boxes installed that are configured to charge from the panels.

Right now, I am at home. I have several lights on, the refrigerator is running, and the air conditioning is on, so I am definitely consuming power. However, the app shows that I am sending 8.4kW from my panels back to the grid with neither the house nor the powerwall consuming anything. How is this possible? I know the pw's are fully charged so that makes sense. But the house not showing a draw seems very odd.

Earlier today, it did appear to be functioning properly with the panels supplying both the house and the powerwall, and then the house and the grid.

Has anyone seen this? Buggy app? Or were the monitoring clips they installed on the wiring perhaps installed incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice. I'm on hold with Tesla Support now but the recording says wait time is greater than 20 minutes, so clearly they've routed my call to the IRS and I'm about to hang up...

Unless you’ve seen the flows working correctly, it’s probably the monitoring clips. This can be fixed in software if they are just in the wrong place but it needs someone that has a clue on the other end. Hopefully they can escalate the call and resolve it and not just schedule a trunk roll in two months (what often happens). See if you can get priority because it’s an incomplete installation.