Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mobile charger on 240volts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I think I have different software running my X. Had a 240V line 40 amp, run to the garage for the mobile charger. I figured the 32 amp charge was enough for me.
Everything set, excited, then I see only a 24 amp charge. The + sign is greyed out so no going to 32?? The mobile charger shows a 32 amp capacity on the charger label?
I have a 50 amp 240 for charging my Volt, plugged it into that outlet to see if it made a difference. Still 24, how do I get 32?

Attachments

• 2021-05-13 13.38.53.jpg
    2021-05-13 13.38.53.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 166
I use the mobile charger on a 240/50a circuit I ran to my garage. Car charges at 32a no problem. Have you checked that the plug is secure/snug? How does the cord feel? Is it hot to the touch? Did you ever achieve 32a charging before with this setup? If the car is locking the max to 24 then it’s because it’s detecting a problem. Check everything, unplug and re-plug your Nema receptacle, toggle the breaker. Try these

Thanks for all the comments. The plug shown is used by the Juicebox and the Tesla mobile charger.

Yes, an electrician tapped off the dryer circuit (30 amps), so I also thought that might be the problem, however, I plugged the mobile charger into the 50 amp outlet that powers the Juicebox and the results were the same, 24 amp limit.

When I use an adapter on the Juicebox charger, I will get 40/40 amp charging rate. Makes no sense.

As suggested, I have a service call setup for 6/2, will have to see what they say.

Thanks y'all.

Attachments

• 2021-05-14 15.41.07.jpg
    2021-05-14 15.41.07.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 100
Thanks for all the comments. The plug shown is used by the Juicebox and the Tesla mobile charger.

Yes, an electrician tapped off the dryer circuit (30 amps), so I also thought that might be the problem, however, I plugged the mobile charger into the 50 amp outlet that powers the Juicebox and the results were the same, 24 amp limit.

When I use an adapter on the Juicebox charger, I will get 40/40 amp charging rate. Makes no sense.

As suggested, I have a service call setup for 6/2, will have to see what they say.

Thanks y'all.

Thanks y'all.
Is the picture of the 14-50 plug you have shown, the one going to your juice box, or is it the one that is part of the Mobile Connector adapter? If it is part of the adapter, it does not look like a Tesla OEM part, but rather third party, and may not be providing the correct coding and limiting you to 24 Amps.

Is the picture of the 14-50 plug you have shown, the one going to your juice box, or is it the one that is part of the Mobile Connector adapter? If it is part of the adapter, it does not look like a Tesla OEM part, but rather third party, and may not be providing the correct coding and limiting you to 24 Amps.
My wording above was confusing but I posted the Tesla adapter which you can see has their name on it.

So @Steinmetz and I are trying to say unless you have the Tesla adapter the MC will not give you the full output.

Yes I purchased the plug for the mobile charger from Home Depot. If it's wrong, then I will have to return it.
Tesla plugs negotiate with the MC and then the car to figure out the most optimal charging rate. In your case with the 3rd party plug there is no smarts so Tesla is dropping back to a safe power level.

Make sure you get the right adapter from Tesla. There are ones for early mobile chargers and late (V2) mobile chargers.

ordered one from Tesla and returning the one from Home Depot. Hope it makes a difference. I was at 24/24 but the rate of MPH was around 18. Tesla website shows the 14-50 at 20 for the model X, can't figure that one out. We'll see.