Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector adapter needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think anyone makes a third party adapter. The MCU adapters have circuitry in them that tells the MCU what power level is available using that adapter so it doesn't try to overload the circuit.

Keith
Well, looks like I was wrong... get that one and you are all set :) A bit more expensive than the Tesla shop, but if they are not available from Tesla you gotta do what you gotta do!

Keith
Do I have to manually set the charging current amps?

I ordered with Tesla, but they are not shipping until next week.
Next week? And you really need one sooner than that? And you think you can get it from someone else sooner than that?
Yeah, EVSEAdapters makes great stuff, and that is an option, but it's more expensive and Tesla DOES make the 6-20, so why order that instead of just getting it from Tesla next week?
Generally speaking what about with the Tesla adapter?
With either of these, you will not need to manually set the current. Each adapter has a chip inside it that makes the signal to tell the mobile charging cable what the appropriate maximum amps are--16 for the 20A plug types, 24 for the 30A plug types, etc. EVSEAdapters actually builds theirs by buying official Tesla ones and taking them apart to preserve the signaling chip and temperature sensor and putting a replacement plug type on there. So that's why they are more expensive, since they include that upfront cost of buying them from Tesla + labor to modify them. So they can make ones for plug types that Tesla doesn't offer. But in this case, it's a 6-20 that Tesla does sell, so I don't see why you wouldn't just get the regular one from Tesla for $35.

Reactions: 1plavs
Next week? And you really need one sooner than that? And you think you can get it from someone else sooner than that?

Yeah, EVSEAdapters makes great stuff, and that is an option, but it's more expensive and Tesla DOES make the 6-20, so why order that instead of just getting it from Tesla next week?

With either of these, you will not need to manually set the current. Each adapter has a chip inside it that makes the signal to tell the mobile charging cable what the appropriate maximum amps are--16 for the 20A plug types, 24 for the 30A plug types, etc. EVSEAdapters actually builds theirs by buying official Tesla ones and taking them apart to preserve the signaling chip and temperature sensor and putting a replacement plug type on there. So that's why they are more expensive, since they include that upfront cost of buying them from Tesla + labor to modify them. So they can make ones for plug types that Tesla doesn't offer. But in this case, it's a 6-20 that Tesla does sell, so I don't see why you wouldn't just get the regular one from Tesla for $35.
I’ll definitely for one or I’ll call and the SC if they carry one. I just thought I could find out at a local electrical supply store. Doesn’t look like it thiugh.

I’ll definitely for one or I’ll call and the SC if they carry one. I just thought I could find out at a local electrical supply store. Doesn’t look like it thiugh.
Oh, no, that interface you took a picture of isn't a standard interface you could get at a hardware store. It's the Tesla proprietary connection between the UMC body and the UMC adapters.

Oh, no, that interface you took a picture of isn't a standard interface you could get at a hardware store. It's the Tesla proprietary connection between the UMC body and the UMC adapters.
Here’s why I was wondering about all that. Let’s say worst case scenario the 6-20 adapter I bought from them stops working. Yes I can always use a standard wall charger until they ship me a new one but I am also thinking of buying a second one to have around just in case now that I think of it.

Here’s why I was wondering about all that. Let’s say worst case scenario the 6-20 adapter I bought from them stops working. Yes I can always use a standard wall charger until they ship me a new one but I am also thinking of buying a second one to have around just in case now that I think of it.
Ah, OK, I get that as an "eventually" kind of reason. I guess I don't see why a backup one would be a rush to have sooner than next week.