Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector at 230v, 28mi/hr? voltage drop or normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn’t be at all surprised. Remember that utilities often run their transformers at up to double their nameplate. It works most of the time...

Yup.

Many utilities are not ready for electric vehicles. In places with all gas heating and cooking and not much Air Conditioning, there is not very high loads from houses. Having a number of houses on a single 25kW transformer is not uncommon. As @Cosmacelf mentioned, the utilities often run them beyond their nameplate. I really don't know how far you can push them. I am lucky that I am on a 75kW transformer that like 10-12 houses share (all with natural gas heat). My voltage stability is great.

Can't really tell how many kW the transformer that feeds my house is. Seems the distribution feed is 13,800V. I'm guessing the 200 in the catalog number is 200kVA. There are 4 houses, and each has 400amp service.

2018-09-23 17.39.57.jpg
2018-09-23 17.40.00.jpg

Could be - but running it at 8x rated??

Whatever it is, I don't get voltage sag when I charge my car at 19kW.

Most houses use a *tiny* fraction of the actual service rating and the utility knows this. Fun fact: The power company does not have to comply with NEC. They can do anything they want basically. I am not sure I have seen a transformer of that style ever that was over 75kW. Typically over that they are three phase transformers, etc...