Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector Stopped Working After 15 Months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our mobile connector stopped working last night and was only charging at 8A. We took the charging cord to the Service Center and they tested it then told us we have to buy a new one. Problem is we just bought it about 15 months ago and apparently the warranty is only one year. So now we have to spend another $250 + tax for a new connector that could potentially stop working a year from today....

So is Tesla really saving money.... looks to me it costs more than regular gas car's maintenance....

For the charger, It's not typical that they fail that early. Mine is 6 years old, used outdoors daily and I've never had an issue. That said, if you are very maintenance cost adverse and worried about the potential to have to spend $250 in the next 15 months, there are a myriad of things out of warranty that could happen to any vehicle out there that you just need to accept as a potential. If you really want to know "are Tesla's less maintenance than ICE vehicles" there is a ton of studies and information out there for you to look at.

Our mobile connector stopped working last night and was only charging at 8A. We took the charging cord to the Service Center and they tested it then told us we have to buy a new one. Problem is we just bought it about 15 months ago and apparently the warranty is only one year. So now we have to spend another $250 + tax for a new connector that could potentially stop working a year from today....

So is Tesla really saving money.... looks to me it costs more than regular gas car's maintenance....
A question first: what was the charging current before you had a problem?

While I don't believe that the service center personnel are totally inept, I would get a second opinion. How? Do it yourself.
  • Unplug the NEMA adapter (the short cord with the outlet plug at the end) and firmly re-insert it into the mobile connector. Try charging again. BTW, what type of outlet are you using? 120V? 240V? If you're not familiar with the different types of outlets, consult the table below and let us know.
  • Try a different outlet in your house but double-check to see what is also on that circuit. Anything else which uses a lot of power will probably trip your circuit breaker if you try charging at the same time.
  • Take your mobile connector to some other place which has the same type of outlet and try there.
  • Those suggestions don't cost any money, but now we're getting into ones which do...
  • Buy a different type of NEMA adapter from Tesla ($35-$45) and try charging. You'll have to identify a different type of outlet you can use but if you can successfully charge with a different adapter, that tells you that the mobile connector is okay and that the problem is with the NEMA adapter.
  • If you are currently charging with a 240V adapter (14-50, 10-30, etc.), buy a common 120V 5-15 NEMA adapter and plug it into an outlet which doesn't have anything else drawing a significant amount of current. You should be able to get 12A if everything is okay.
  • If you are currently charging with a 120V adapter (aforementioned 5-15), identify an outlet in your house which is 240V. That is usually a dryer connection but it may not be in reach of your car. This means you'll have to buy / borrow and extension cord suitable for that type of outlet. And you'll also have to buy a Tesla NEMA adapter to match.
Again, what you are trying to do is verify where the problem is.

na_nema_plugs.jpg

Note that the table above has 125V/250V designations. This is the same as the normal 120V/240V used in North America. The view of each receptacle (i.e., outlet) and plug is from the user's point-of-view. That is, receptacles are drawn here as you would see when they are mounted in the wall and the plugs are shown as if you are looking directly at the metal prongs at the end of the cord.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin

While I don't believe that the service center personnel are totally inept, I would get a second opinion. How? Do it yourself.
  • Unplug the NEMA adapter (the short cord with the outlet plug at the end) and firmly re-insert it into the mobile connector. Try charging again. BTW, what type of outlet are you using? 120V? 240V? If you're not familiar with the different types of outlets, consult the table below and let us know.
  • Try a different outlet in your house but double-check to see what is also on that circuit. Anything else which uses a lot of power will probably trip your circuit breaker if you try charging at the same time.
  • Take your mobile connector to some other place which has the same type of outlet and try there.
  • Those suggestions don't cost any money, but now we're getting into ones which do...
  • Buy a different type of NEMA adapter from Tesla ($35-$45) and try charging. You'll have to identify a different type of outlet you can use but if you can successfully charge with a different adapter, that tells you that the mobile connector is okay and that the problem is with the NEMA adapter.
  • If you are currently charging with a 240V adapter (14-50, 10-30, etc.), buy a common 120V 5-15 NEMA adapter and plug it into an outlet which doesn't have anything else drawing a significant amount of current. You should be able to get 12A if everything is okay.
  • If you are currently charging with a 120V adapter (aforementioned 5-15), identify an outlet in your house which is 240V. That is usually a dryer connection but it may not be in reach of your car. This means you'll have to buy / borrow and extension cord suitable for that type of outlet. And you'll also have to buy a Tesla NEMA adapter to match.

View attachment 1057858
Note that the table above has 125V/250V designations. This is the same as the normal 120V/240V used in North America. The view of each receptacle (i.e., outlet) and plug is from the user's point-of-view. That is, receptacles are drawn here as you would see when they are mounted in the wall and the plugs are shown as if you are looking directly at the metal prongs at the end of the cord.
I believe ours was charging around ~30AMP before having this issue (could be around 23AMP)... We did run a few troubleshooting ourselves before going to the service center and looks like all just pointing to the same result..... your response is SUPER helpful! We will take a look at these before ordering another connector.... THANK YOU SO MUCH!

For the charger, It's not typical that they fail that early. Mine is 6 years old, used outdoors daily and I've never had an issue. That said, if you are very maintenance cost adverse and worried about the potential to have to spend $250 in the next 15 months, there are a myriad of things out of warranty that could happen to any vehicle out there that you just need to accept as a potential. If you really want to know "are Tesla's less maintenance than ICE vehicles" there is a ton of studies and information out there for you to look at.
well.... I was merely just complaining about how shitty the quality is... and a little disappointed that our charger failed just in 15 months... Looks like I am going to busy with our defective charger.... I won't be able to have time to read any studies on ICE vehicles vs. Tesla... but thank you for your feedback.

@LF630 If you were charging around 30A before, then that would mean you are using one of the 50A Tesla NEMA adapters:

tesla_nema_adapters.jpg

Either the 6-50, or more probably, the 14-50 as it's more common. There have recently been some posts here that mentioned problems with some of the Tesla NEMA 14-50 adapters being defective. I would highly suggest that you first look at obtaining another 14-50 adapter before considering replacing the mobile connector. A trip to the Tesla Service Center with a request that they swap out your 14-50 adapter for another one in their inventory and show you how it charges would be best.

If you were actually getting only 23A, then that means you could be using one of the 30A adapters. So which is it? The 14-50 or an xx-30?

well.... I was merely just complaining about how shitty the quality is... and a little disappointed that our charger failed just in 15 months... Looks like I am going to busy with our defective charger.... I won't be able to have time to read any studies on ICE vehicles vs. Tesla... but thank you for your feedback.
The quality is fine, you just got unlucky. Some percentage of products fail, its just how manufacturing products work. there are people using these things for 6-7-8 or more years as their primary chargers.

If you want to complain about being unlucky, I get that, but there isnt any quality issue with Tesla charging equipment. Its actually some of the best equipment on the market for its power and price.

@LF630 If you were charging around 30A before, then that would mean you are using one of the 50A Tesla NEMA adapters:

View attachment 1057881

Either the 6-50, or more probably, the 14-50 as it's more common. There have recently been some posts here that mentioned problems with some of the Tesla NEMA 14-50 adapters being defective. I would highly suggest that you first look at obtaining another 14-50 adapter before considering replacing the mobile connector. A trip to the Tesla Service Center with a request that they swap out your 14-50 adapter for another one in their inventory and show you how it charges would be best.

If you were actually getting only 23A, then that means you could be using one of the 30A adapters. So which is it? The 14-50 or an xx-30?
Yes, ours is the 14-50 one. Yea.. looks like it's been a common problem with these adapters. When we went to the Service Center, the guy mentioned they had people came back for adapter issues just 3 months after they bought the car.....

The quality is fine, you just got unlucky. Some percentage of products fail, its just how manufacturing products work. there are people using these things for 6-7-8 or more years as their primary chargers.

If you want to complain about being unlucky, I get that, but there isnt any quality issue with Tesla charging equipment. Its actually some of the best equipment on the market for its power and price.
I am not complaining about myself being unlucky... I don't consider myself unlucky! In fact, I am considering myself super lucky that this happened to me and I am lucky enough to be able to post here and found some super helpful tips from the gentleman above. I was a crazy Tesla fan like you are before this happened, and now I am not.

I am not complaining about myself being unlucky... I don't consider myself unlucky! In fact, I am considering myself super lucky that this happened to me and I am lucky enough to be able to post here and found some super helpful tips from the gentleman above. I was a crazy Tesla fan like you are before this happened, and now I am not.
Who said I am "crazy tesla fan"? You just joined here, so I guess you might assume that because I am a moderator here, but I think they do some things well and somethings not so well. One of the things they do well is charging equipment.

I am not some tesla zealot or something, which is implied with "crazy tesla fan".

Who said I am "crazy tesla fan"? You just joined here, so I guess you might assume that because I am a moderator here, but I think they do some things well and somethings not so well. One of the things they do well is charging equipment.

I am not some tesla zealot or something, which is implied with "crazy tesla fan".
yea I guess my charging equipment falls into the "some things not so well" category.... oh well...

Yes, ours is the 14-50 one. Yea.. looks like it's been a common problem with these adapters. When we went to the Service Center, the guy mentioned they had people came back for adapter issues just 3 months after they bought the car.....
Try unseating the adapter and swapping with the 5-15 one to check that one works properly (you should be able to get 12A). Then fully seating the 14-50. There have been recent reports of the 14-50 adapter failing in short order, it's possible they had a bad batch. People with older units seem to have been just fine using it for years. If SC has a spare 14-50 or a Mobile connector, it would be possible to isolate the problem to either the adapter or Mobile Connector.

As far as EVSE’s go, the Tesla Mobile Connector and Wall Connector’s are rock solid and great value for the dollars spent. I have two TMC’s and one WC and they’ve been running spot on for 2-3+ years.

And before anyone thinks it’s fanboy talk, some of us are $20-50k underwater on our vehicles… I think that kinda throws “fanboy” out the window 😜

Try unseating the adapter and swapping with the 5-15 one to check that one works properly (you should be able to get 12A). Then fully seating the 14-50. There have been recent reports of the 14-50 adapter failing in short order, it's possible they had a bad batch. People with older units seem to have been just fine using it for years. If SC has a spare 14-50 or a Mobile connector, it would be possible to isolate the problem to either the adapter or Mobile Connector.
Yea agree… I was talking to a coworker (who owns 4 teslas at home) today about the connector and his’ been charging fine for the past 6 years…

As far as EVSE’s go, the Tesla Mobile Connector and Wall Connector’s are rock solid and great value for the dollars spent. I have two TMC’s and one WC and they’ve been running spot on for 2-3+ years.

And before anyone thinks it’s fanboy talk, some of us are $20-50k underwater on our vehicles… I think that kinda throws “fanboy” out the window 😜
Yea I wish I could say the same thing about TMC being the best in the market; however with my experience today I just cant… seems like owners with the older units have been charging with no issues for years.

Yea agree… I was talking to a coworker (who owns 4 teslas at home) today about the connector and his’ been charging fine for the past 6 years…
So there's a possibility... depending on how well you know this person, and assuming that they have the equipment, ask if you can borrow one of their mobile connectors with a 14-50 adapter and see how it works at your house. Before you do anything, mark/identify both NEMA adapters and mobile connectors so you know who's is who.

Begin by using their NEMA adapter and mobile connector. If it charges your car normally at ~30A, then swap out the NEMA adapter and use your 14-50 on their mobile connector. Charge again. If you see a lowering of the charging current, that should prove that you have a defective NEMA adapter. Repeat using their 14-50 adapter on your mobile connector.

View attachment 1057858
huge thanks!!!!!!! All fixed now!!! We followed what your suggested here… took out the adapter and re inserted back in (firmly) didn’t fix it… then took the adapter and TMC and went to a friend’s house and tried it, didn’t work, still was charging at half of the speed. so immediately ordered a new adapter from Amazon and just tested with the new adapter… it is back at 32A now!!! Thank you so much!!!!! You just saved me $250!!!!!

Update: ALL FIXEDDD!!! Hallelujah... for anyone who experiences similar issues with their mobile connector, try the steps RayK suggested below and that is how mine got fixed!!!!

Reactions: karkrazy