Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Service Confirmation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery on 2/11 and there was a significant scratch on the underside of the front fascia. The delivery rep said he set up a mobile service call to have the front bumper swapped completely since they couldn't do the repair on the spot (I had to drive 350 miles home).

Do you receive an email or app confirmation when a mobile service call is set up by Tesla? I can't find any notification anywhere and of course my advisor isn't replying now that I've taken delivery. I'm not sure if I need to take any action to start the process.

I tried to search the forum for the answer but came up empty. Can someone tell me the procedure? I would really like to get this fixed, but in reality it is in a spot that will never be seen so it isn't time sensitive.

I took delivery on 2/11 and there was a significant scratch on the underside of the front fascia. The delivery rep said he set up a mobile service call to have the front bumper swapped completely since they couldn't do the repair on the spot (I had to drive 350 miles home).

Do you receive an email or app confirmation when a mobile service call is set up by Tesla? I can't find any notification anywhere and of course my advisor isn't replying now that I've taken delivery. I'm not sure if I need to take any action to start the process.

I tried to search the forum for the answer but came up empty. Can someone tell me the procedure? I would really like to get this fixed, but in reality it is in a spot that will never be seen so it isn't time sensitive.

You setup a service appointment, via the app (as one normally would), and mobile service becomes one of the ways your concern gets addressed. Nothing gets setup by Tesla - you have to do your own leg work.

However, replacing the bumper is body-work related activity, and I can think of no reasonable way to do that job without putting the car on the lift. In other words, your sales guy lied to you to get you out the door. What else is new?

You now need to extract either a local body-shop referral from Tesla (they pay, you take the car to a local authorized body shop), or setup an appointment to replace the entire front bumper cover at the service center. The latter may not be desirable for you (SC being 350 miles away), so ask for the former.

a

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
However, replacing the bumper is body-work related activity, and I can think of no reasonable way to do that job without putting the car on the lift.

Based on other posts here it seems they remove the front fascia when installing the homelink kit, which is a mobile service item. I don't disagree there is a chance the delivery guy was blowing smoke, but I don't think you're right about the bumper. I wouldn't have agreed to the deal if I thought it couldn't be done.

Where is there a list of "authorized" body shops? Just want to know for future reference.

Just FYI it was much more important to have a certified Tesla shop for S and X as everything is aluminum; my car had some minor work performed by a local shop. The part of the car was plain old steel (as a lot is) and they were able to get the repair part (plastic rocker cover) in 1 day. Just saying ;)

Just FYI it was much more important to have a certified Tesla shop for S and X as everything is aluminum; my car had some minor work performed by a local shop. The part of the car was plain old steel (as a lot is) and they were able to get the repair part (plastic rocker cover) in 1 day. Just saying ;)

Non-Tesla certified body shops can't source Tesla parts. Plastic or electric, aluminum or steel - Tesla doesn't sell it to them.
Even Tesla-certified body shops tend to wait for weeks on end to get their parts from Tesla, but that's another issue altogether.

Where is there a list of "authorized" body shops? Just want to know for future reference.

Call your insurance company, and they will share it with you.

I don't think you're right about the bumper. I wouldn't have agreed to the deal if I thought it couldn't be done.

Sure it can be done.
But not easily, and not without allowing the old/new cover to drop to the ground (plug/unplug the light harnesses, align all attachment slips, etc, etc), adding new scratches to the old ones.
This guy videoed the process:

Go get them, tiger !

Non-Tesla certified body shops can't source Tesla parts. Plastic or electric, aluminum or steel - Tesla doesn't sell it to them.
Even Tesla-certified body shops tend to wait for weeks on end to get their parts from Tesla, but that's another issue altogether.

Well then the shop is certified but they say nothing on their website (just confirmed) and they legit got the part in 1 day (I saw it)

FWIW

I heard back from my advisor and she confirmed they did create a "due bill" for the bumper repair. It looks like it will be fixed. Hopefully it can be done by the mobile team as the advisor and tech said.

Replacing the fascia takes less than an hour on a Model 3. Tesla stock pre-painted ones.
(Ask me how I know :) )

They do NOT.
You may have lucked out and got one left over from another appointment, but if you think about it - it makes no sense for all Tesla Service Centers to invest and manage the inventory of all possible body panels and colors.

I have had my service appointment rescheduled, now for T+4 weeks, waiting for a front bumper cover to be delivered to the local SC.

a

They do NOT.
You may have lucked out and got one left over from another appointment, but if you think about it - it makes no sense for all Tesla Service Centers to invest and manage the inventory of all possible body panels and colors.

I have had my service appointment rescheduled, now for T+4 weeks, waiting for a front bumper cover to be delivered to the local SC.

a

Done it twice now.

Both times they had it in stock.

Once might be an accident, twice isn't. :)

When I picked up the car at the KC service center they had a wall full of front pieces in all different colors just hanging out. That was another factor in my deciding to take the car with the scratch.

I'm sure there are normal ebbs and flows in the stock around the country, but no one on this forum can reasonably assume that all or none of the locations have a particular part or procedure, in my opinion. It seems many people here either assign supernatural powers or total ineptitude to Tesla based on their individual experiences.

I'll wait and see how my mobile appointment goes on Wednesday and update with the results. I expect those results will be specific to the time and date of my appointment and not to all possible past or future scenarios. Still, it is good to have an extra data point.

You can search the list on the Tesla website:

Body Shop Support

Scroll down to "Tesla-Approved External Body Shop Network", enter in your location and search. I've noticed they have added more locations in my area since a year ago.

For fascia repairs, body shops will buy an unpainted fascia and paint it, or attempt to repair yours. Both options mean they have your car for at least several days, and it might be a little cheaper than Tesla, but not much cheaper.

Tesla will swap out the damaged fascia for a new, pre-painted one in an hour or so. Basically, while you wait at a Service Center, or in your driveway or office parking lot for Mobile Service.

My 2 experiences were very good: One on the rear fascia and a more serious issue on the front one.
(Both at Marietta, GA Service Center)

I just wanted to update for future searches. Tesla did the swap yesterday in the parking lot at my office. The mobile tech was done in under an hour and it was fully covered. The whole process was very smooth, but they did have to delay a week for the fascia to be in stock. It wasn't critical and I was really pleased with how easy mobile maintenance is. I've done the dealer shuffle with Mercedes in the past and I'd take mobile over a courtesy car any day.