Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile wall connector hard to pull the adapter out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you change them often? Unless you are charging different places frequently, they are usually left installed virtually forever. I guess if you are always either putting it back in its bag or taking it out to charge at home that would become a concern, but in that case I'd just leave it plugged in at home.

And the answer to your question is that if you use the 120V adapter you'll get 120V charging speeds and you'll have to plug into a 120V outlet. If that's okay with you, then go ahead and use it.

As far as making it easier to pull apart, maybe some dielectric grease on the sliding contacts would help. The problem is likely that the 50 amp adapter most likely has far more high-current pins sliding against each other. I'd be concerned about adding grease because that will also attract dirt.

I don't change it often. When I'm home I use the 120v all the time. It suites my needs most of the time. When I go Camping I never know what I might need. Sometimes I use the 50amp sometimes the 30amp sometimes the 120v. Maybe because I don't use them very often they are hard to pull apart. I don't know if everyone's is hard to pull apart or just mine. I think I'll try spraying them with silicone and see if that helps. I think silicone might attract less dirt.

Thanks for the reply...

I have a mobile wall connector. When I put a 50 amp adapter into it, It's hard to pull apart so I can use the 110v adapter.
Does anyone know how I can make it easier to pull apart?
The NEMA 14-50 is supposed to fit tightly into the 14-50R. The 14-50 receptacle is not like a standard 5-15 receptacle that is able to withstand thousands of plug and unplug operations. Best practice would be to leave the Tesla Mobile Connector with 14-50 power plug adapter plugged in and only rarely unplug.

(Also, make sure the Mobile connector is not left hanging only supported by the power plug. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a wall bracket for the Mobile Connector. Similar organizers are available on Amazon, eBay and Etsy. You can also fashion your own hanger for the Mobile Connector.)

The NEMA 14-50 is supposed to fit tightly into the 14-50R. The 14-50 receptacle is not like a standard 5-15 receptacle that is able to withstand thousands of plug and unplug operations. Best practice would be to leave the Tesla Mobile Connector with 14-50 power plug adapter plugged in and only rarely unplug.

(Also, make sure the Mobile connector is not left hanging only supported by the power plug. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a wall bracket for the Mobile Connector. Similar organizers are available on Amazon, eBay and Etsy. You can also fashion your own hanger for the Mobile Connector.)
OP was referring to the adapter connecting into the UMC, not the adapter plugging into the outlet.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
My question has nothing to do with the receptacle. It has to do with pulling the adapter out of the mobile connector.
Attach a strap of some kind to the adapter to make it easier to pull out but not sure this would be good long term for the adapter

Buy a second mobile connector so you have one with each adapter without having to disconnect\swap them

Ask ChatGPT for another option

Future option, TeslaBot swaps the adapter for you

Last edited: