Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 12v Battery issues, monitoring, Aftermarket replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey I don’t blame you for not believing some random dude on the internet, so no hard feelings. Atlas BX are cheap flooded cell batteries you can get from Menards if you google it. I wish I could share more, but you’re just gonna have to take my word on it, which on the internet isn’t worth very much.
AtlasBX is not a cheap flooded battery line, they are a major Korean company 75 years old, part of Hankook for the last 50. They supply many batteries for a variety of major companies. They were, in fact, the first company in Korea to make AGM batteries and sell a full line of them. They are certainly capable of making AGMs for Tesla.

Still not conclusive, but it knocks the logic of your "menards" argument down a few pegs.

Morning LGA. I’m still curious as to why my battery needed to be replaced. I’ve never had a 12 volt lead acid battery go bad. Any insight?

There was a time in 2013 where the Nissan Leaf had a ration of faulty 12 volt batteries right out the factory.. sometimes they come with a bad cell even thou the battery shows 12 volts, under load they fail.

Fred

Hcdavis3 -
I’m not sure why your battery needs replacement, it might be a service bulletin to replace certain battery serial numbers ( I am not aware of the existence or non-existence of any battery service bulletins) It might also be specific to your car/battery. Tesla is able to track the health of your 12v battery since they monitor both the voltage and current of it at all times. The car may have thrown a trouble code for the battery and then the S.C. then told you it needed replacement. I’ve had a couple of “invisible” trouble codes go on my Model 3s that we’re only revealed to me when I brought it in for service for an unrelated item.

AtlasBX is not a cheap flooded battery line, they are a major Korean company 75 years old, part of Hankook for the last 50. They supply many batteries for a variety of major companies. They were, in fact, the first company in Korea to make AGM batteries and sell a full line of them. They are certainly capable of making AGMs for Tesla.

Still not conclusive, but it knocks the logic of your "menards" argument down a few pegs.

Nothing you said means explicitly that the AtlaxBX line isn't "cheap". A "major company" around for 75 years can still put out a crappy product.

Full disclosure, I don't know anything about AtlasBX, just that saying the company is major and has been around for a long time doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Hcdavis3 -
I’m not sure why your battery needs replacement, it might be a service bulletin to replace certain battery serial numbers ( I am not aware of the existence or non-existence of any battery service bulletins) It might also be specific to your car/battery. Tesla is able to track the health of your 12v battery since they monitor both the voltage and current of it at all times. The car may have thrown a trouble code for the battery and then the S.C. then told you it needed replacement. I’ve had a couple of “invisible” trouble codes go on my Model 3s that we’re only revealed to me when I brought it in for service for an unrelated item.
Thanks LGA. I had a service appointment to install some clips on the undercarriage near the passenger rocker panel and the advisor said there’s a service bulletin on the 12 volt battery and it needed to be replaced. These trouble codes must be specific to the service center or Tesla as they never appeared on my screen.

Model 3 Standard Plus, 240 mile Range...12.1:1 firmware... Just got back from Vegas, 700 miles round trip, Outside Temps 51 - 66 degrees. Average speed 75 - 85mph, wh/mi in the 400’s due to the long climb in elevation, sound system thumping nice and loud And no issues with the Ohmmu Lithium Ion Battery, worked well, did it’s job.

Fred

Hcdavis3 -

Reminds me of a certain computer that said: "Just a minute...just a minute....I'm picking up a fault in the AE-35 unit"

With EV vehicles, your general run of the mill lead acid 12V battery will see a little less life than if it were in an ICE vehicle. Simply, it goes back to the starter motor and alternator. On an EV, you have no starter motor placing a short duration, heavy load on the 12V battery, and no alternator to give it a recharge while the engine is running. On an EV, the 12V battery sees slow incremental drains, and at some point, the DC-DC converter kicks in and recharges the 12V from the traction battery. This slow incremental drain is generally not ideal for 12V lead acid batteries, but by no means dangerous or abusive. From an engineering standpoint, using a 12V battery for electronics is a cheap solve to over engineering something that can open a can of worms. Does this mean you may have to replace the 12V battery around 3 years instead of 5? Quite possibly, but from an overall maintenance perspective, you’re still money ahead.

Oct 23th was the 6 month mark, the Ohmmu is still working, no codes or issues, 2 completed trips to Las Vegas and back. With removing added weight you tend to add some more weight back with all of the crap you put back into it from rubber floor mats, tire flat fix tools and jacks etc. Now I just keep my drivers side rubber floor mat in the car, the other floor mats stay in the garage until I need to use them. I’m also looking into titanium lug nuts, still cutting grams here and there.

Driving very efficiently normally come within 2 miles of projected Nav map prediction. Ex 2011 Nissan Leaf owner.

SR+ with 230 Wh/mi Lifetime @ 10,300 miles and no range lost on the main battery, still at 215 miles at 90% March 2019 build.

Will report back in a year.

Fred

Reactions: GSP and webbah
Hi fred,

I am also interested in the weight reduction. Mainly for me it has been cutting unsprung mass (saved over 30lb on lighter tires/whels). apart from 12v battery and floor mats, where have you managed to cut weight?
Since we have triple AAA, I’ve removed the stuff I had in the cubby hole like the tire repair kit, Jack, air compressor, and left only 1 jack pad in the trunk etc. even the cubby hole cover is gone and left in the garage. All of those items I can put back when I go on long distance trips like to Las Vegas. I’ve been meaning to go to a truck weight station to see my actual weight now. Will post when I get the results.

Fred