Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2021 (facelift) add kick sensor to open boot (trunk)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to take delivery of a new 2021 Tesla MR3LR - I am used to my cars having a kick style tail lift. I am looking for a kit that is available in the UK that comes with decent instructions for self install. Can anyone recommend a particular kit and where it can be purchased. Most kits appear to be for the pre facelift with an electric conversion.

This is where I stuck mine using part of the included sticky pad, works perfectly every time. Are you sure a cable has come unplugged? I found that if you do up the connecter on the sensor too tight the locking ring actually comes all the way over the plug so it isn’t holding the two bits together anymore!

View attachment 722158
Thanks I’ll take it back apart and check.I see your lower connector on the grey trim broke in exactly the same way as mine did. It’s a pig to get back together at the top.

Upvote 0
Thanks I’ll take it back apart and check.I see your lower connector on the grey trim broke in exactly the same way as mine did. It’s a pig to get back together at the top.
Just a thought, are you kicking your foot straight forward and then straight back? That’s the only way the sensor will trigger, waving your foot or doing anything else won’t trigger it.

Also, have you fitted the sensor the same way round as me with the cable coming out on the passenger side of the car? Not sure if it matters, but it’s a possibility.

Upvote 0
Just a thought, are you kicking your foot straight forward and then straight back? That’s the only way the sensor will trigger, waving your foot or doing anything else won’t trigger it.

Also, have you fitted the sensor the same way round as me with the cable coming out on the passenger side of the car? Not sure if it matters, but it’s a possibility.
Thanks - yes I always use the in and out action as I have had them on my previous cars. Will try the cable orientation when it stops raining enough to get down on the wet ground😂

Reactions: teaston
Upvote 0
The biggest issue I had was that my car doesn’t have the tow bar access panel in the under tray (I assume probably all MIC 2021 M3s don’t have it), so I had to use this method, which is not easy at all!:
Was it easy ripping the lower panel out? Did you have to unscrew the bolts at the bottom of the car/ break any hinges?

Contemplating if this is easier or to just remove the bumper altogether.

Upvote 0
Was it easy ripping the lower panel out? Did you have to unscrew the bolts at the bottom of the car/ break any hinges?

Contemplating if this is easier or to just remove the bumper altogether.
It was moderately difficult to open up the lower panels, there are a few bolts to remove, but no parts were broken in the process, I just couldn’t get one of the bolts back in.

If it’s relatively easy to remove the bumper that could be the way to go.

Upvote 0
Installed my kick sensor - thanks for the tip about the cable routing - the rear lower panel is very difficult but I got there 0 the kick sensor worked fine when hanging loose from the corner of the lower panel - when I eventually got the lower panel reinstalled it no longer works. My sensor was installed with this side up fracing upwards - but that meant the other side which is shaped (curve) is facing down and stuck to the lower panel of the car. Has anyone who has installed had a similar problem and what did they do to fix it. Thanks in advance
Yep got the same issue. Thinking maybe a break in the cable from the sensor to the controller in the boot lid. Will need to take it all apart again to check.
PS - worked once or twice with my foot, but now not at all.

Upvote 0
Installed my kick sensor - thanks for the tip about the cable routing - the rear lower panel is very difficult but I got there 0 the kick sensor worked fine when hanging loose from the corner of the lower panel - when I eventually got the lower panel reinstalled it no longer works. My sensor was installed with this side up fracing upwards - but that meant the other side which is shaped (curve) is facing down and stuck to the lower panel of the car. Has anyone who has installed had a similar problem and what did they do to fix it. Thanks in advance
Yep got the same issue. Thinking maybe a break in the cable from the sensor to the controller in the boot lid. Will need to take it all apart again to check.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you two have been unlucky, it worked perfectly for the 6 months I had my M3, and I removed it from that car and have now fitted it in my MY, still works perfectly every time!

Upvote 0