Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2021 (facelift) add kick sensor to open boot (trunk)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to take delivery of a new 2021 Tesla MR3LR - I am used to my cars having a kick style tail lift. I am looking for a kit that is available in the UK that comes with decent instructions for self install. Can anyone recommend a particular kit and where it can be purchased. Most kits appear to be for the pre facelift with an electric conversion.

Well I have just installed mine, and it is a b@$tard of a job!! Took me 3 hours, and I was not able to route the cable through the rubber conduit going to the boot lid.

Was it worth it though? Of course it was: 😁

Wow, that's awesome. Yeah, anything dealing with interior components is always a PITA, you can never tell if you're breaking something when you're tugging on panels and whatnot.

So is that the same product linked up in post #4?

Reactions: teaston
Upvote 0
Wow, that's awesome. Yeah, anything dealing with interior components is always a PITA, you can never tell if you're breaking something when you're tugging on panels and whatnot.

So is that the same product linked up in post #4?
Yes it is that Tessories linked one.

The biggest issue I had was that my car doesn’t have the tow bar access panel in the under tray (I assume probably all MIC 2021 M3s don’t have it), so I had to use this method, which is not easy at all!:

Upvote 0
And had to make slits in the boot lid grommets to get the cable through, and zip tie it to the conduit, which is not ideal, but it was impossible to get the cable though the conduit, even with a cable draw tape (and me being a qualified electrician!):

3D9BDF83-4D6D-4B43-B72A-E0F99E127FAC.jpeg
6C053D58-4489-4B82-8171-B62976E96795.jpeg
962EC5EE-745C-43AF-A5E1-3FF4C4858983.jpeg

Upvote 0
Ingenext Bonus Module

Has anyone considered this? Plugs into the MCU under the front passenger footwell (although I've read that access to the MCU is more difficult on newer models due to placement)

Adds a whole bunch of useful features, such as:
Auto frunk and trunk release with proximity sensors
Auto driver door opening (pops door ajar)
Rear heated seat control via rear window switches

They also have a boost 50 module which I'm strongly considering (LR model only) that gives you 50hp acceleration boost along with the bonus features above.

Some drawbacks I have found:

ease of installation: apparently accessing the cable on the MCU on newer model 3s is really difficult, which leads onto next negative...

Tesla Servicing: obviously being an after market mod, it may "affect warranty" which means you'll need to unplug the module before you take your car into a SC. Which seems like a bit of a faff, older model 3s apparently much easier to unplug and plug back in. But newer models due to previous point mentioned means it might be bit of a ball ache

Lastly, updates: as this is a software based module and Tesla are aware of such things, sometimes Tesla OTA updates stop the module from working, so you need to wait for Ingenext to confirm the Tesla update is safe to install first, which may mean a delay in getting new useful features from Tesla

Sorry for the wall of text, hopefully someone finds the info useful. I'm fairly happy with my M3LR for now (3 weeks of ownership) but I may go for the Boost Module in the very near future

Upvote 0
Installed my kick sensor - thanks for the tip about the cable routing - the rear lower panel is very difficult but I got there 0 the kick sensor worked fine when hanging loose from the corner of the lower panel - when I eventually got the lower panel reinstalled it no longer works. My sensor was installed with this side up fracing upwards - but that meant the other side which is shaped (curve) is facing down and stuck to the lower panel of the car. Has anyone who has installed had a similar problem and what did they do to fix it. Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Installed my kick sensor - thanks for the tip about the cable routing - the rear lower panel is very difficult but I got there 0 the kick sensor worked fine when hanging loose from the corner of the lower panel - when I eventually got the lower panel reinstalled it no longer works. My sensor was installed with this side up fracing upwards - but that meant the other side which is shaped (curve) is facing down and stuck to the lower panel of the car. Has anyone who has installed had a similar problem and what did they do to fix it. Thanks in advance
This is where I stuck mine using part of the included sticky pad, works perfectly every time. Are you sure a cable has come unplugged? I found that if you do up the connecter on the sensor too tight the locking ring actually comes all the way over the plug so it isn’t holding the two bits together anymore!

8BF174BA-8BEB-4875-87F0-07157A42E749.jpeg

Upvote 0