Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2021 not recognising music from USB-C stick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
snip.. I would suggest that previous versions of the software allowed problematic usb sticks to still work. Those problems could have included corrupt files that can potentially case problems for the main opperating system.
The upgraded system is now catching those problems and to protect the integrity of the car they shut down the offending piece of hardware.... in this case you your usb c drive.
I doubt that is the reason. Even Tesla’s OEM usb stick which is working fine in glovebox doesn’t work in center console usb ports. It used to in my car.

Issue is that in HW3 there are two usb ports. One port for center console. The data cable plugs in to a hub that gives us the additional slots we plug in to. The updated code doesn’t handle that port correctly anymore.

Seems specific to Intel atom based hw3 & amd ryzen hw3 seems to not be affected.

I doubt that is the reason. Even Tesla’s OEM usb stick which is working fine in glovebox doesn’t work in center console usb ports. It used to in my car.

Issue is that in HW3 there are two usb ports. One port for center console. The data cable plugs in to a hub that gives us the additional slots we plug in to. The updated code doesn’t handle that port correctly anymore.

Seems specific to Intel atom based hw3 & amd ryzen hw3 seems to not be affected.
I would agree except that most 2021's and earlier do not have a problem. Some of those have commented in this thread. Also on my car 2021 the usb stick in the glovebox will not fit the usb c ports under the screen...:)

I would agree except that most 2021's and earlier do not have a problem. Some of those have commented in this thread. Also on my car 2021 the usb stick in the glovebox will not fit the usb c ports under the screen...:)
To fit your usb-a stick in to usb-c, use an adapter 😊 which supports usb 3 speeds (blue usb port interior). This is what I had been doing for 2 years to make my usb-a game controllers work in my car which has usb-c ports. I also used it for my usb-a music stick u til I got a usb-c music stick. Also used the adapter to play music off my 2.5” hard drive at one point.

In other threads, there are many now, I’ve seen many ages of model 3 & model y having the issue.

I took the USB C stick and wiped all the songs. The car continues to see the stick after a few days. I think it was a corrupt file in my case. I would guess that the glovebox (dashcam) USB that people use for music is unaffected because it is a different piece of hardware that the system sees differently and does not shut down. I will report back if my USB C continues to work with some songs on it....