Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 acceleration from a roll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well...not any situation...see the dude in the P3D testing in -20 weather today for example where he took like 18 seconds 0-60 :)

Polar Vortex vs Model 3 Performance 0-60 time. (okay, 0-59)

It wasn't the ambient temperature that caused the problem, it was that the batteries were cold soaked due to sitting outtside all night in the bitter cold, unplugged. After driving (or charging) long enough to heat the batteries up, he would have full acceleration again, even if it was still -20 outside.

I will say to everyone, watch out for autopilot next to concrete walls. I had my right hand resting on the lower part of the steering wheel and i felt the car pull to the divider. now, I wouldn't blame the car 100% as there was some snow on the ground, but just be a bit careful when in that situation.

Of course, you're not supposed to use AutoPilot in the snow or ice. That said, I've done it with snow completely obliterating the pavement markings and yet, in the right conditions, it can still follow the road amazingly well based on nothing more than the impressions left by other traffic. But, yeah, snow driving AutoPilot is not ready for prime time!

Glad you had a good test drive and recognize just how amazing the car is!

Had my test drive earlier today, still impressed with the car overall. not sure if it was me but the steering felt a little bit heavy. it had great feedback but I would have liked it to be a little lighter feeling.

not having a display was probably what I don't like about the car the most. like why not offer a hud for those of us that have a hard time adjusting to the one screen. the whole test drive I caught myself searching to find out how fast i was going...i'm sure a longer test drive would fix that.

everything else was amazing, the throttle response was wicked. the regen braking was nice...

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

The "awkward" feeling of the center display goes away after a few days, in my experience. At this point I'm looking for a digital speedo in every vehicle I drive and missing it when it's not there.

The car is so much fun to drive and such a game-changer that it justifies a bit of a financial stretch, IMO.

Reactions: UnderCharged
Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

The "awkward" feeling of the center display goes away after a few days, in my experience. At this point I'm looking for a digital speedo in every vehicle I drive and missing it when it's not there.

I was actually very concerned about all the editors at the auto-rags concerns with the center screen and off-axis speedo. But when we took delivery of our first Model 3 in May of last year it took all of 15 minutes to figure out it was a complete non-issue.

The car is so much fun to drive and such a game-changer that it justifies a bit of a financial stretch, IMO.

True, we had never purchased two new cars any closer together than 4 years (between the two of us) but the Model 3 was such an amazing car we bought two in the same year! And I'm still glad we did. We got rid of both of our gas cars in one year, a 19-year-old Volvo S80 T-6 purchased new in 1999 and a 4-year-old Mazda CX-5. I thought the Volvo's twin-turbo T-6 engine made it a quick car without much turbo lag. But, no, it's not quick and it has huge lag. In the real world it's slow as sin. And all it took to show me that was a Long Range Model 3.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
It wasn't the ambient temperature that caused the problem, it was that the batteries were cold soaked due to sitting outtside all night in the bitter cold, unplugged..

Not sure why you think that matters?

The quote to which I was replying said
Original quote said:
"Tesla you just press the pedal at anytime in any situation - same results."

he didn't add "as long as you've warmed the battery up enough" to qualify the "any situation- same results" claim.

(indeed there's threads here frequently during the winter at all the new owners shocked by how not always-the-same-in-every-temp a Tesla is for acceleration, regen, range, doors/windows working, etc...).

None of that is really an issue where I live, but I'd have definitely had to think harder on buying my Model 3 if I lived someplace the temps had a - in front of them a decent chunk of the year.

Not sure why you think that matters?

Please note that I didn't say you were wrong, I was simply clarifying that the P3D can accelerate blazingly fast, faster than most supercars, even if it's bitter cold out. Of course, you need to allow the battery enough time to come up to temperature just as in an ICE car, you need to warm up the engine before giving it full throttle/full RPM.

I find my P3D brilliant in the winter. I think people forget that ICE cars aren't all roses and honey bees when it's that cold out either.

Please note that I didn't say you were wrong, I was simply clarifying that the P3D can accelerate blazingly fast, faster than most supercars, even if it's bitter cold out. Of course, you need to allow the battery enough time to come up to temperature just as in an ICE car, you need to warm up the engine before giving it full throttle/full RPM.

I find my P3D brilliant in the winter. I think people forget that ICE cars aren't all roses and honey bees when it's that cold out either.

oh i'm not saying the car was terrible in the snow, I just wanted to mention one should be careful when snow is covering the lines on the shoulder. During my test drive the roads were clear just that little stretch on the bridge had a little accumulation.

Unfortunately I never got a chance to test 0-60 out as traffic was a bit heavy and for some reason i got all green lights lol. A longer test drive is in order and I'm sure it will change my thoughts about the center screen