Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wow, that actually does look like the same thing but US$89 (AU$127) vs AU $289! I wonder if they go through any different Australian certification or anything?

Is there the same thing with Type 2 to Type 2 cables too compared to buying from EVSE or Jetcharge?

Wow, that actually does look like the same thing but US$89 (AU$127) vs AU $289! I wonder if they go through any different Australian certification or anything?

Is there the same thing with Type 2 to Type 2 cables too compared to buying from EVSE or Jetcharge?

Honestly I'm not sure but the quality of stuff from AliExpress can be variable, but when you identify commodity products like this there are very few manufacturers and it's likely the same.

If you combine ShopBack or Cashrewards with Aliexpress you can save an additional 5% too.

Here is the Type 2-2 cable I got. 7M 32Amp 3 phase.

US $106.08 15% OFF|16A 32A Three phase EV Cable Type 2 to Type 2 IEC62196 EV Charging Plug With 7 Meter cable TUV/UL EVSE CABLE-in Accessories from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Honestly I'm not sure but the quality of stuff from AliExpress can be variable, but when you identify commodity products like this there are very few manufacturers and it's likely the same.

If you combine ShopBack or Cashrewards with Aliexpress you can save an additional 5% too.

Here is the Type 2-2 cable I got. 7M 32Amp 3 phase.

US $106.08 15% OFF|16A 32A Three phase EV Cable Type 2 to Type 2 IEC62196 EV Charging Plug With 7 Meter cable TUV/UL EVSE CABLE-in Accessories from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Now I’m even more confused This is a 3 phase 16A cable the others I was looking at were 32A and single phase only (as the ones that EVSE sell)

Which cable is suitable for charging at shopping centre public stations like Chargefox? Should it be 16A or 32A? And also curious when you would use the 3 phase one above you purchased?

AUD $97 for shipping. :(

7 Metre Type 2 to Type 2 EV Charging Cable - 22kW

Consider that EVSE charges $499 for this with $10 shipping.

Now I’m even more confused This is a 3 phase 16A cable the others I was looking at were 32A and single phase only (as the ones that EVSE sell)

Which cable is suitable for charging at shopping centre public stations like Chargefox? Should it be 16A or 32A? And also curious when you would use the 3 phase one above you purchased?

If you click on the 32A option you can buy the 32A option. It is $183.74.

The 3 phase vs 1 phase just means the amount of conductors in the cable. They are backwards compatible. I would just go with the biggest you can afford TBH. Here's a read to explain if you are curious.

There are resistors in the cable to tell the vehicle and the charger the capacity of the cable, which therefore determines your rate of charge.

The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide to EV Charging Cables

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic and m4rtin
I sent an email to Taptes about the floor mats for the RHD Model 3.

They pointed me at these: All Weather Floor Mats for Tesla Model 3

So what I have on my "to buy" list are the floor mats; the sunshade; rear seat back protectors (for when the seats are folded down); cargo liners front and back; and the door release stickers (I sourced those from Ali Express for less than three AUD posted - they look the same as the ones Grenadine linked to early in this thread, but significantly cheaper.)

Debating the console wrap and charging cables. I'm thinking that a cross-Nullarbor trip would be a nice way to get away from it all for a month or two, so a three-phase 32 amp cable would be good (since that's the most common option on Plugshare for that trip), but I'm getting confused by the various options that are available... since it's not an immediate need, I'll probably hold off on that until closer to the time.

Hanging out for September...

No, unfortunately not. There are special cables that do exist that can do this but a standard 2-2 cable will not. It will only function directly from the charger to the car.
This got me digging around a bit for more details:
- nominal conductor size: 16A = 2.5mm2, 32A = 4mm2.
- PP to PE resistor: 13A = 1500, 20A = 680, 32A = 220, 63A = 100

The EVSE equipment should look at the resistor and limit the maximum current to protect the cable. However some EVSEs have been tested to not be compliant.

It is safest to just get the 32A three phase type 2 to type 2 cable variant.

Re Type 2 cable, for those in NZ:

I bought my 32A three phase 5m from Ecogeek.co.nz for $334.90 NZD including postage.
The connectors and cable look solid, obviously have not tried the cable yet.

I purchase a circular zipped carry bag for the cable off AliExpress from Jspon.com that has not arrived yet.

I have this 32A three phase Type2-Type2 cable. It seems good quality superficially. Definitely feels like its got the 5x6mm^2 conductors in it that it claims to so its heavy, and freight was a bit expensive, but still much cheaper than anything else I found locally or from the US and UK at $260AUD delivered. It seems to fit into the lead I also bought from the same supplier for my OpenEVSE as an extension lead. No idea if its functional like that though but I can't see why not electrically. Pics below of the cables, OpenEVSE assembly, installation and the most important accessory of all - custom plates :D

20190717_095249.jpg 20190718_095016.jpg 20190718_154817.jpg 20190718_162900.jpg 20190715_185701.jpg image-20190718_145334.jpg

I have this 32A three phase Type2-Type2 cable. It seems good quality superficially. Definitely feels like its got the 5x6mm^2 conductors in it that it claims to so its heavy, and freight was a bit expensive, but still much cheaper than anything else I found locally or from the US and UK at $260AUD delivered.

WOW, Great Geeks think alike! :) I spent the best part of 2hrs researching Type 2 cables and would you believe after all my research I ALSO finished at the exact same one as you that I am planning to buy? I even went to the TUV certification database and dug up details on the claimed manufacturer (you have to cross check all the stuff Chinese sellers claim as often they are dodgy) and it seems to be all above board.

I watched this video that showed how shoddy the construction of some of these EV cables is and made me think I should research it well.

Mind you while this construction in the video is great, this is the components of the Juice Booster EVSE which is VERY expensive at $2K. I don’t expect the US$130 cable to be this good BUT take a look at the others they show in the video....they are the ones sold in some of the local EVSE shops! (Look for the “Zhou Electron Co Ltd” writing on the cable in the video). Frankly I can’t see how those cables are worth AU$300 for that sort of construction.

• Love
Reactions: one4spl
WOW, Great Geeks think alike! :) I spent the best part of 2hrs researching Type 2 cables and would you believe after all my research I ALSO finished at the exact same one as you that I am planning to buy? I even went to the TUV certification database and dug up details on the claimed manufacturer (you have to cross check all the stuff Chinese sellers claim as often they are dodgy) and it seems to be all above board.

I watched this video that showed how shoddy the construction of some of these EV cables is and made me think I should research it well.

Mind you while this construction in the video is great, this is the components of the Juice Booster EVSE which is VERY expensive at $2K. I don’t expect the US$130 cable to be this good BUT take a look at the others they show in the video....they are the ones sold in some of the local EVSE shops! (Look for the “Zhou Electron Co Ltd” writing on the cable in the video). Frankly I can’t see how those cables are worth AU$300 for that sort of construction.
The one I have for my OpenEVSE is the same one they take apart at about 8:30 in that video. I'm only using it indoors so I think it will be fine. The pins look like decent quality silver to me. I'll keep an eye on it.