Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 alarm & jet when passing bicyclist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experienced two instances of a sudden jolt and LOUD alarm while driving into town yesterday. The first was in response, I guess, to a large truck in the opposite lane moving toward me.(This was a two lane blacktop road with clearly marked lanes) The second was in response ot a bicyclist in the passenger side lane. I had seen the biclyist and already moved as far to the left as I could. To move any. further would've put me into the oncoming traffic. The noise shocked me and rattled me temporarily. Not a safe situation, in my opinion. Both alerts seemed to have been unnecessary. Has anyone else experienced similar loud alerts?

Sounds like you're on autopilot. Mine doesn't make noises when AP is off, so I turn it off when on narrow two lane roads. AP was designed for use on highways anyway, so using it on two lane roads will get you warnings.

But you say YOU were steering, so I don't understand this. I don't have noise unless I'm in AP.

Thanks--no, I think I was on Autopilot. I try and use Autopolite as much a possible. I usually find it helpful in busy traffic. But, I will listen to your caution and reconsider using it on a two lane highway.
You may have been in TACC and not Autosteer b/c Autosteer will cancel if you put too much resistance on the wheel. Don’t have FSD so don’t know how it responds.

Everyone here talking about being on AP when false Forward Collision Warnings are super common and FCW works with AP turned off. Look at all the people complaining how their safety score is low due to false FCWs.
FCWs create a loud beeping noise to get your attention.