Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - All wet and muddy [Salvage - Flood damaged vehicle]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi team,

After going through a heap of threads I have decided to post my journey. Hopefully with the help of multiple minds and experience/expertise I will succeed in the end!

I acquired this 2021 Tesla Model 3 Standard range plus (single motor) here in New Zealand after a cyclone. The car was basically under water(fresh) for some time, potentially a few hours to a day. With the huge amounts of rain also came huge amounts of silt.
The vehicle sat for approx 3months as insurance did their thing.

Now feel free to follow along and dont be shy to chip in.
20230512_193026.jpg
20230512_192944.jpg
20230512_192948.jpg

I saw the first photo and my very first thought was "doesn't look too bad" Then I saw the top of the dash and scrolled down to the interior pictures!!! o_O 😄

Are you aiming to do a full rebuild and refurbishment on this car then?
The goal is to bring it back to life. Life maybe somewhat different in its reincarnation, but ultimately I would like it similar to how it left the lot.

I forgot to mention that the car also has no keys.
I could gain access to the interior of the car as the back window had been left down, so after watching a few episodes of MacGyver I was able to open the front doors(emergency release).
After a few days of digging with a kids plastic Shovel, buckets and a shop vac I have started to make the interior resemble something of Elons first sketch on the back of cigarette packet. The trunk of the vehicle faired reasonably well. Easy clean job in the bigger picture.
I told myself to not be too hasty and get everything clean and dry before I tried to power it up. But my curiosity got the best of me. I thought if i could just get the 12v operating i could remove the seats, then carpet, console etc etc. Foolishly I tried to jump it. Then I think it tried to deter me with some sort of car alarm. I suppose I had essentially broke in. One head light was flashing and the horns were trying to blast(full of mud).
Then quiet. Then burnt electrics.

Now I don't consider myself as mentally impaired, however I'm also not one of Elon's senior electrical engineers. But once I smelt the burning electrics I knew I had to actually do some research and figure out how these things worked.
Lucky tesla has let go of the reins and allowed access to the service manual. This is where the learning started. At this stage I have at least semi cooked the vcfront / body control module front. So first question, does the new part need to be flashed/reprogrammed?
20230518_144045.jpg
20230518_165750.jpg
20230521_140307.jpg

does NZ allow registration of written off cars? I know australia and most of europe does not (i think to curb cartheft)
In this case basically anything electrical would have to swapped out. Getting it re-registered is something I am not chasing.

In saying that I have sent the proof of ownership documents to Tesla and they were happy to transfer me ownership to the app. I have ordered new keys and hopefully get one programmed. As far as I'm aware I need the 12v working for a key coding, is that correct?

In this case basically anything electrical would have to swapped out. Getting it re-registered is something I am not chasing.

In saying that I have sent the proof of ownership documents to Tesla and they were happy to transfer me ownership to the app. I have ordered new keys and hopefully get one programmed. As far as I'm aware I need the 12v working for a key coding, is that correct?

i think technically speaking you could rip the centre console out and take it to tesla ...

I think you'll wind up paying more than it costs to just buy a good used one, and maybe even more than it costs to buy a new one.

If the interior was full of silt up to the dashboard, the battery pack was submerged for some time. I would keep that outdoors and well away from the house, garage, shop, or anything that can burn.

My first instinct when electric things get wet is to put them in a bag of rice, but I don't think they make one big enough in this case. Looks like a good project to do though. (I do wonder if it's possible to get a right-hand drive Tesla shipped to the states. I love right-hand drives. I would need the interior to be cleaner though.)

Reactions: fholbert
I think you'll wind up paying more than it costs to just buy a good used one, and maybe even more than it costs to buy a new one.

If the interior was full of silt up to the dashboard, the battery pack was submerged for some time. I would keep that outdoors and well away from the house, garage, shop, or anything that can burn.
I think the deal breaker will be if the pack is no good. Other then that I don't see huge amounts of cost other then my time.

My first instinct when electric things get wet is to put them in a bag of rice, but I don't think they make one big enough in this case. Looks like a good project to do though. (I do wonder if it's possible to get a right-hand drive Tesla shipped to the states. I love right-hand drives. I would need the interior to be cleaner though.)
The next best thing is a dehumidifier and that will be getting plenty of use.

Reactions: cwerdna
So my basic forward plan is as follows:

> Disconnect HV system
> Remove most of the interior. Will stop at the dash somewhere
> Remove vcfront(done) vcright and vcleft. The security model will come out with the centre console.
> Remove car computer (MCU)
> Any others that I've missed?

Next will be to clean and inspect all of the modules and make sure they are 100% dry.

> clean the remainder of the underfloor / doors / door cards. While I'm in the door I'll probably change out the speakers too.

> once everything is clean then it'll be time to assess the HV system. This is what could be the show stopper. Does anyone have a solid/safe method of doing this? Any tips from others who have performed this would be much appreciated.

There's a heap of detail I have probably missed out, but if there is something you think I should assess please let me know.

Not everything in life is to make money, just ask the Mod.
I think it's a cool project and wish him the best.

When I saw this, I didnt get the impression that it was to save money for this OP, but more of "for the challenge / fun / to learn something" type situation. It looks daunting, but its not like the OP bought the car not knowing that it was flood damaged, etc.

I also think its cool that people do this type of stuff, especially when they do it eyes wide open, for their own enjoyment, and am also wishing the OP good luck in getting some enjoyment out of the process.