Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was asked the other day and thought I knew the answer (not unlimited), but then I researched and found a number of conflicting posts. One from EM said that Model 3 supercharging would be unlimited for trips. Is this another example of "wait and see"? What is the latest thinkg?

I was asked the other day and thought I knew the answer (not unlimited), but then I researched and found a number of conflicting posts. One from EM said that Model 3 supercharging would be unlimited for trips. Is this another example of "wait and see"? What is the latest thinking?

He mentioned "free long distance" but this has multiple meanings.

If we receive 400 kWh of free supercharging and I look at my actual miles I travel in a year, beyond everyday stuff, then 400 kWh would cover it.

The average American drives 13,476 miles per year. Depending on how you drive, in a Model 3, 400 kWh should cover over 1500 miles easy. That's over one tenth of your total yearly miles the vast majority of people do not travel more than this.

I, personally, travel around 1440 miles per year by car, which is about five trips to my parents' house. Now, I'd probably charge the car to 100% travel 73 miles to a supercharger on the way, charge the 20 kWh or so I just used and then I'd have enough charge to get to my destination and back home again. This means on a single round trip of 288 miles or so I'd only use 20 kWh of supercharging. Thus for the entire year just those five trips of 1440 miles total I'd only use 100 kWh of supercharging.

If I were to quadruple the number of trips (which I don't need to see my parents THAT much :p) I'd use 400 kWh of supercharging and travel 5760 miles which would be 42% of the average american's miles for the entire year.

Basically, for me and many other people who can charge at home, supercharging on a Model 3 for long distance travel is virtually free as the majority of cost is at home.

I have a feeling that if they give you 400kWh of charging per year, there will be ways to get more, or win more, or something like that.

Or eventually when the Model 3 is a normal purchase, not something you get in 18 months, they will double it at the end of quarters, etc..

JeffK is correct. M3 will get 400 kWh of free supercharging. It was never clarified if this if this is per year, or just flat, onetime amount. Pay per use after that.

This way They can always give incentives to purchase a car rather than discount the list price.

JeffK is correct. M3 will get 400 kWh of free supercharging. It was never clarified if this if this is per year, or just flat, onetime amount. Pay per use after that.

This way They can always give incentives to purchase a car rather than discount the list price.
400 kWh is per year for the S and X (i.e., you get a new allocation every year). Whether or not the first 400 kWh hours free applies to the Model 3 is still not known at this time. From the comparison chart, is it pay-per-use period or pay-per-use after exhausting the annual free allocation?

Last edited:
Reactions: ikjadoon
Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to in my post. It remains to be seen exactly what he meant by that.
Free long distance may not mean free unlimited long distance. Also, it's unclear what he means by "long distance" 20 miles, 50 miles, 100 miles from your home?

Got a source for that as it relates to the Model 3? Offhand, I can't remember a single official source that mentions the free 400 kWh.

A couple points to ponder: 1) There are people in urban areas who choose to Supercharge daily rather than charge at home in order to save money. I'm more concerned about the health of my battery than the dollar or so of electricity I consume to drive 50 miles. Living in Phoenix I charge late at night to minimize heat while charging, which even in the Summer pales in comparison to Supercharging.

2) After considerable calculations I am convinced my S' "fuel" at home costs less than half of what my 46-47 mpg Honda hybrid costs at the pump -- and the cost of the hybrid's fueling would be great if only electric cars didn't exist.

I mention those two points only to illustrate that free, frequent Supercharging at your home base is unnecessary, inconvenient and perhaps somewhat damaging to your battery. (Of course, if you can't charge at home like my stepson in San Diego, then daily or weekly Supercharging is a near necessity. )

I have unlimited free Supercharging on my S and expect none free on my 3. I couldn't care less even if I took lots of long trips, which I don't. Free Supercharging is surely low on anyone's "need to worry" list.

Got a source for that as it relates to the Model 3? Offhand, I can't remember a single official source that mentions the free 400 kWh.
An Update to Our Supercharging Program

The Tesla Team November 7, 2016

Tesla Supercharger

Four years ago, Tesla introduced the Supercharger Network – the world’s fastest charging solution – to enable convenient long distance travel. Today, more than 4,600 Superchargers allow over 160,000 Tesla owners to drive across the continental U.S., from the Arctic Circle to the south of Spain, and across all of the population centers in China and Japan, among many other places. Supercharging has even helped owners drive their Teslas around the world.

We’ve designed our network so that all customers have access to a seamless and convenient charging experience when they’re away from home, as our intention has always been for Supercharging to enable long distance travel. That’s why today we’re announcing a change to the economics of Supercharging – one that allows us to reinvest in the network, accelerate its growth and bring all owners, current and future, the best Supercharging experience.

Ensuring Use for Long-Distance Travel

For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel. Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car. All cars will continue to come standard with the onboard hardware required for Supercharging.

We will release the details of the program later this year, and while prices may fluctuate over time and vary regionally based on the cost of electricity, our Supercharger Network will never be a profit center.

These changes will not impact current owners or any new Teslas ordered before January 1, 2017, as long as delivery is taken before April 1, 2017.

The Road Ahead

Just as you would charge your cell phone, we believe the best way to charge your car is either at home or at work, during the hours you’re not using it. For travelers, the Supercharger Network has become a powerful, unique benefit of Tesla ownership. As we approach the launch of Model 3, this update will enable us to greatly expand our Supercharger Network, providing customers with the best possible user experience and bringing sustainable transport to even more people.

That doesn't specify it only applies to S and X, it says "For Teslas..."

They can always change their minds later, but there have been no other concrete statements saying otherwise. except for the "free long distance" thing which was after that message.

That doesn't specify it only applies to S and X, it says "For Teslas..."

They can always change their minds later, but there have been no other concrete statements saying otherwise. except for the "free long distance" thing which was after that message.
I have my doubts that was meant to apply to the 3, seeing as how it wasn’t even in production at the time. But I guess time will tell.