Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 as a Student Driver car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of breaking system is this? I'm a driver's ed teacher in Illinois and just recently got a model 3 with a grant. I can not get anyone around here to install the break on the instructor side.
This may be a bit off-topic, but I will never again have someone other than myself install passenger-side pedals in ANY car. Without experience doing what we do, the results have always been disappointing. Every time, and I mean every time, (about 12 times for me) I've had to at least tell them something that needs correction, (several hours more of labor) and I've ended up paying for at least 8 hours of labor.

In the past, I've had others do it just because I don't have a lift. Well, it can be done entirely from inside the vehicle with a variety of hardware which inserts from inside, or with the car on a jack. (Be SUPER careful getting under a heavy Tesla.)

The most common two errors they make are putting the driver-side pulley too low making it "barely effective", and placing the passenger-side pedals on the floor , or close to it, instead of the firewall, such that I can't use the pedal with my heel on the floor. (Careful not to pierce the battery in a Tesla.)

As WE all know, the cables need proper tension, they can never bind, they need to be capable of a full range of travel, and the pedals need to be well-placed for instructor comfort, ease-of use, and the ability to respond quickly. My goal always is that it feels the same on both sides of the car. With a good drill bit for steel, a socket set, vice grips and other common tools, plus at least one full day of tinkering I can do it in my driveway or garage. Just because the person who does the work can tune up an engine or weld, that doesn't mean they're mechanically inclined such that they understand leverage, pulleys, and the angles we need.

And you're right of course, finding someone who will do it is challenging. Regular mechanics avoid it for fear of liability, but I've had better luck (although still always disappointing) working with people who lift trucks or work with sand rails or dune buggies.

Two good products:

Passenger Side Brake | Tarsus Driving Equipment | Rural Letter Carrier Kit For these I find the pedal arm is too long, so I have a welder shorten it. Also their electronic accelerator pedal is a good concept, but they made it do "special electronic tricks" which I found detrimental and confusing to the student, and those "tricks" are redundant with what a Tesla does on its own. (If the instructor applies the accelerator, the driver's accelerator is disabled until both pedals are fully released. It sounds good until you get it in the real world, trust me.)

Home Not as well made as the Tarsus system, but simpler to install because the pedal arms are shorter. With this I've had cables fall off pulleys because this system doesn't keep the cable under constant tension, unlike Tarsus.

Teaching in a lr model 3 myself without issues, students love it and visibility over the shoulder is better than my previous vw polo 2018 model... Yes the steeringwheel is further away because the car is wider, but im 190cm myself so i can reach it decently+i like the legroom.

Stuff like the built in camera's are so useful to replay situations u ended up in and discuss them afterwards, also the navigation system is very nice and clear (part on the drivingtest here) and i love that i can use google streetview and sattelite view to explain some road situations with a birds eye view. This is just teaching how to drive v2.0.

You dont HAVE to use backup cameras when ur teaching them how to park for example, u can just close the cameras and let them practice the "old school" way first. Just like u can disable the regen by using the roll function (which i dont, but i do let them experience the more "ice" experience for a moment)

Big difference with the topic starter is that the students are in my car for 40-100hours before they are ready for their exams(yes its VERY difficult here to pass your test)

Pics of mine now.
View attachment 695314View attachment 695315
Just wondering if you installed the passenger brake yourself? thanks

There are some reasons why you may not want a Tesla as the only driving school car:
  • Tesla ergonomics are an outlier compared to most other cars (including other EVs).
    • Tesla tends to combine functions into sharing controls (most notably in the touch screen), while most other cars have a dedicated button, switch, dial, etc. for each function. Someone who has only driven Teslas may have difficulty with a borrowed or rental car.
    • Many functions are automatic (e.g. wipers, lights, parking brake, lock/unlock, turning on/off) so that someone who has only used a Tesla may forget something with another car (like turning off the car, setting the parking brake, and locking it when walking away).
    • High regen may get a new driver into a one-pedal habit without much practice using the brake pedal (some other EVs have various regen settings, with lower regen settings being more like ICEVs).
  • Rear side outward visibility is not very good (although this is a common problem these days, and many vehicles are even worse).
  • A driving school may want to have one car with a manual transmission for students who want to learn how to use a manual transmission.

Reactions: SO16