Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss of TACC on my 3 month old M3SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using TACC and (sometimes) Auto Steer on my M3SR, 2023
Recently there is a software update to address some Auto Pilot issue that affects over 2 millions Tesla cars.
For the last few days, I notice that TACC no longer works as it used to.
1) When the car gets to a RED traffic light (or a STOP sign), it should slow down and stop. However it does not stop, I have to use the break pedal (press and release quickly), the car does the regen braking then stop.
2) When the car approaches a GREEN traffic light with no car in front, I used to get a beep warning and the car slows down a bit allowing me to check crossing traffic, if clear, I slightly press the accelerator pedal and release, this tells the car to move at set cruising speed. Well this feature also DISAPPEARs !!!
3) Auto-Steer is still working as it used to.

Do anyone have this similar issues (#1 and #2 above) ? Are there any setting to address them ?

1) When the car gets to a RED traffic light (or a STOP sign), it should slow down and stop.
TACC doesnt include that as a feature. Thats a FSD feature.

2) When the car approaches a GREEN traffic light with no car in front, I used to get a beep warning and the car slows down a bit allowing me to check crossing traffic, if clear, I slightly press the accelerator pedal and release, this tells the car to move at set cruising speed. Well this feature also DISAPPEARs !!!

This is also a FSD feature.

Did you by any chance have a full self driving trial period that just expired? The normal TACC does not stop at red lights or stop signs and I don't believe it ever did. It just slows when there's an obstacle in front.

Either the OP had a FSD preview that expired, or a subscription that expired, or somehow otherwise had FSD by mistake on their vehicle. Those are the only options since neither feature they are asking about is a part of FSD.

OP, here are the features of each package as stated by tesla itself. You will see that TACC (traffic aware cruise control) includes neither of those features, and in fact only includes traffic aware cruise control and autosteer.

Also, OP, it appears that you were aware that your car came with an FSD subscription as you previously posted:

Lucky , I do not need FSD which is still buggy. I can try for 3 months but I don't even bother with it.

Perhaps you forgot your car had a FSD subscription that expired?

==================================================

Autopilot​

Autopilot includes the following functionality and features:
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control: Matches the speed of your vehicle to that of the surrounding traffic
  • Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control

Enhanced Autopilot​

In addition to the functionality and features of Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot also includes:
  • Navigate on Autopilot: Actively guides your vehicle from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit.
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged.
  • Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your vehicle, with a single touch.
  • Summon: Moves your vehicle in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key.
  • Smart Summon: Your vehicle will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you in a parking lot.

Full Self-Driving Capability

Your vehicle will be able to drive itself almost anywhere with minimal driver intervention and will continuously improve. In addition to the functionality and features of Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot, Full Self-Driving Capability also includes:
  • Autosteer on City Streets
  • Traffic and Stop Sign Control: Identifies stop signs and traffic lights and automatically slows your vehicle to a stop on approach, with your active supervision
The currently enabled Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. Full autonomy will be dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As Tesla’s Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving capabilities evolve, your vehicle will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

Autopilot​

Autopilot includes the following functionality and features:
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control: Matches the speed of your vehicle to that of the surrounding traffic
  • Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control
This really explains what I get since I passed the 3 month FSD trial period. TACC should be called Smart (or Adaptive) Cruise Control. Even new ICE cars have this feature.

This really explains what I get since I passed the 3 month FSD trial period. TACC should be called Smart (or Adaptive) Cruise Control. Even new ICE cars have this feature.
Yes, they do. You normally have to pay extra for it for most vehicles, but its available on most vehicles in one form or another at this point, at varying degrees of effectiveness.

Red light and stop sign recognition was available then disappear WITHOUT NOTICE ON SCREEN is dangerous for some drivers.
Tesla should displays a RED WARNING MESSAGE on the screen saying: "Traffic light / stop sign recognition is NO LONGER AVAILABLE", at least a few trips.
I was lucky that I noticed my car just continue to run very close the RED light,, then I press the brake pedal. Same thing with STOP sign, from that point on, I assume that these features no longer work for my car. That's why I create this topic.
Now, the only left for me to love my M3 is it's electric, quick acceleration when needed, adaptive cruise control and lane keeping.
My NEXT CAR (actually for my wife, to buy in Feb or Mar 2024) is NOT going to be a Tesla or any other EV. It's going to be a Toyota hybrid 2024, cheaper, 500+ miles range on full tank, MPG around 50 miles/gal.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Red light and stop sign recognition was available then disappear WITHOUT NOTICE ON SCREEN is dangerous for some drivers.
Tesla should displays a RED WARNING MESSAGE on the screen saying: "Traffic light / stop sign recognition is NO LONGER AVAILABLE", at least a few trips.
I was lucky that I noticed my car just continue to run very close the RED light,, then I press the brake pedal. Same thing with STOP sign, from that point on, I assume that these features no longer work for my car. That's why I create this topic.
Now, the only left for me to love my M3 is it's electric, quick acceleration when needed, adaptive cruise control and lane keeping.
My NEXT CAR (actually for my wife, to buy in Feb or Mar 2024) is NOT going to be a Tesla or any other EV. It's going to be a Toyota hybrid 2024, cheaper, 500+ miles range on full tank, MPG around 50 miles/gal.
A friend of mine bought a loaded RAV 4 phev. It was more expensive that a M3 after the model 3 rebates.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Yes, lucky you were paying attention as required by law. Driving is tricky and thusly restricted to those who pass a test and earn a license to do so.

Enjoy your NEXT CAR. Maybe remember what you did and did not pay for with your NEXT CAR and what was given to you for a free to trial.

I have driven my Tesla without any software assistance. However, I found that TACC is very helpful in cities driving, at least for me. EV are great for cities driving. Long trips were not my goals when purchasing EV.
Regarding the user manual, I only read the manual just to know where the spare tire is, or how to remove seats from the car. I am referring to many ICE cars I owned in my previous 40 yrs of driving. The only part of Tesla manual is related to what need to be done to tow it on a flat bed in case I need it.
For daily driving, I see no need to read the book. As a matter of facts, I recently met many many relatives who are totally against buying EV, especially Tesla due to its non traditional way to operate.
Not mentioning the negatives about auto pilot.
I had to watch many youtube videos to learn trivial operations: wiper control, playing music and adjust volume. Force headlights ON or OFF. It's understandable that many do not like Tesla.
I love it but do not want to buy FSD just for simple enhancements to TACC. I will never use the main features of FSD even if it's free.

Regarding the user manual, I only read the manual just to know where the spare tire is, or how to remove seats from the car. I am referring to many ICE cars I owned in my previous 40 yrs of driving. The only part of Tesla manual is related to what need to be done to tow it on a flat bed in case I need it.

I had to watch many youtube videos to learn trivial operations: wiper control, playing music and adjust volume. Force headlights ON or OFF. It's understandable that many do not like Tesla.
You would had known how to operate the wipers, music, volume, headlights and so on if you had read the entire user manual instead of YouTube videos and then blame Tesla for being difficult.

I have driven my Tesla without any software assistance. However, I found that TACC is very helpful in cities driving, at least for me. EV are great for cities driving. Long trips were not my goals when purchasing EV.
For daily driving, I see no need to read the book. As a matter of facts, I recently met many many relatives who are totally against buying EV, especially Tesla due to its non traditional way to operate.
Not mentioning the negatives about auto pilot.
I love it but do not want to buy FSD just for simple enhancements to TACC. I will never use the main features of FSD even if it's free.
Okay

Reactions: ken_neth
I have driven my Tesla without any software assistance.
Really? I must have missed the instruction describing how the car could be operated without software assistance. I only asked whether you'd tried it without driving aids engaged.
For me after over 50 years of driving subject to manipulation by oil companies I really do like the fact that I haven't put a foot onto a brake pedal since my fourth day of Tesla ownership, yet I still don't trust the other driving aids enough to rely on them. Even without many of the available features I do still very much enjoy thumbing my nose as I pass gas stations - keeps me young......sorta :)

Reactions: LadyOnikara
OP is over here also asking for TAAC and Autosteer to be "better"- as in basically be FSD.

Reading thru so many issues, some are dangerous, of FSD, I read that even FSD does not slow down on curvy roads (freeway entrance, exit ramps for example. )
After 4 months, I uses the TACC very comfortably, even on city streets that are fairly straight. At intersections, I automatically press the brake pedal slightly to slow down the car if red or checking crossing traffic before pressing on the accelerator pedal to continue.
It becomes a reflex switching in / out the TACC (adaptive cruise control). Don't even have to think so I enjoy driving my M3 this way. Autosteer is only used after 10pm as I drive on one straight street for 9 miles, the same route, frequently. It helps to keep the car
moving at lane center. This route has very light traffic at this time.. Again TACC and Autosteer are off when I go thru intersection (my reflex). Autosteer does strange moves in heavy traffic, really scary, city roads and highway. I do not use it in heavy traffic.