Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD 18” vs 19” wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I've been considering getting the 18's and then eventually getting wheels I like better at some point. I just know how I am, and that "some point" would probably be when it was time to get new tires. But by then the car would be a couple years old. So I'd spend all that time driving the car with a look that's just "okay". And I don't want just okay after spending well over $40K! But, I also don't want to be replacing bent rims. Thus the dilemma!

Test drive both sizes multiple times.

On one of my test drive visits, I took out a model with the 18s and then took out one with the 19s right after. They drove ever so slightly different. Aggressive driving felt better on the 19s by a hair. Freeway cruising was more compliant and quieter over expansion joints by a hair. Later in the evening, I thought to myself 'Would I really be able to tell the difference between the two if I hadn't driven them back to back?'

The next day I test drove only a model with the 19s. I could not remember the 18s being any better. I also hit every bump, pot hole, crack, uneven water main cover that I could find, and did so with as much speed as possible to see if anything worried me about the 19s getting bent. I felt confident, so that's what I went with.

When I purchased by first Model 3 I opted for the 19" wheels. Kept thinking to myself that I should have saved the $$ and gotten the 18s. Had decided that if I were to do it again, I'd go with the 18s. Aside from all the looks and compliments, I found the 19s to be quite practical as well. Car drives great, handles wonderfully and looks amazing. Plus no issues with potholes - the 20s may be a different story though. Recently upgraded to a stealth M3P and opted for the 19s again. Couldn't be happier. To me, a small hit on range < everyday looks and better driving experience. The 19s offer best of both worlds!

When I purchased by first Model 3 I opted for the 19" wheels. Kept thinking to myself that I should have saved the $$ and gotten the 18s. Had decided that if I were to do it again, I'd go with the 18s. Aside from all the looks and compliments, I found the 19s to be quite practical as well. Car drives great, handles wonderfully and looks amazing. Plus no issues with potholes - the 20s may be a different story though. Recently upgraded to a stealth M3P and opted for the 19s again. Couldn't be happier. To me, a small hit on range < everyday looks and better driving experience. The 19s offer best of both worlds!

Thanks. This gives me some good info with you being in Chicago (assuming you've been through a winter with the car). Are you going to bother with winter tires, or just stick with the all-seasons?

Thanks. This gives me some good info with you being in Chicago (assuming you've been through a winter with the car). Are you going to bother with winter tires, or just stick with the all-seasons?

Going to stick the the all-seasons. Couple of my buddies have LR RWDs and AWDs with 19s and they are quite happy with them. IMO, the 19s complete the look of this gorgeous car ;)

I know you didn't ask me but I'm in Maryland and right down the road from Delaware. I've been driving on all seasons for all my 27 years of driving and plan on doing the same. My roads don't go unplowed for more than 24 hours any way. I can always creep out of my neighborhood streets to the main roads.
I will say that I had, what I think were summer tires, on an old GTI because I didn't know any better in my early 20s and they were freaking terrorizing. I got stuck on a hill and had backed up traffic; never again.
For my driving and location all seasons are good. Summer and winter tires are only warranted if I want to to drive balls to the wall all the time (too much traffic and too many cops) and I had the extra disposable income lying around (I don't really)

Last edited:
I know you didn't ask me but I'm in Maryland and right down the road from Delaware. I've been driving on all seasons for all my 27 years of driving and plan on doing the same. My roads don't go unplowed for more than 24 hours any way. I can always creep out of my neighborhood streets to the main roads.
I will say that I had, what I think were summer tires, on an old GTI because I didn't know any better in my early 20s and they were freaking terrorizing. I got stuck on a hill and had backed up traffic; never again.
For my driving and location all seasons are good. Summer and winter tires are only warranted if I want to to drive balls to the wall all the time (too much traffic and too many cops) and I had the extra disposable income lying around (I don't really)

Agree. I only mention winter tires because I see them talked about so much on Tesla forums, but I suppose that's mostly people with RWD's and maybe some people with 20's.

Agree. I only mention winter tires because I see them talked about so much on Tesla forums, but I suppose that's mostly people with RWD's and maybe some people with 20's.
I'm of the opinion that you hear this stuff from 'car' crowd just like ppf and ceramic coating. Just go to any car forum (I'm on about 5 different ones) and you'll hear all about it. It all has its benefits but not required, just like remembering your hat and gloves

Winters aren't about snow, but rather about wintery temperatures. The compounds work best only in a narrow window. So it's not just about grip for tossing your car around, but rather the safety envelope when you make emergency manoeuvres, like braking.

Depending on where one lives, it could also be a matter of regulation -- to have M&S rated in certain periods of the year or under certain conditions.

Back to origin question, range is affected by weight, aero, and tire compound/design. OEM 18s are lighter, more aero with the cover, and the MXM4 touring tires (OEM for this market) are more durable rolls more easily than the sporty tires shod on the 19s and 20s. I think the 18s without the cover look the best. The 19s dont look great, and the aero covers dont look bad. But that's all subjective.

Taller sidewalls on the 18s also means it better copes with road irregularities. My plan is to wear out the OEM 18s, and replace tires with something sportier such as Pilot PS4S or Sportcontacts if they come in that size...

Reactions: Torque Monster
The problem with going the OEM 19" rim route is that it costs $1500.

For example, you can buy the 18" tires with no extra cost, and buy aftermarket 19" rims that are flow forged for less than $1500. That way you have two sets of rims that you can swap as desired for less than the OEM 19" costs. Or if you don't need the OEM 18", you can sell them for $500-800. This also allows you to pick the best tire for your driving location.

Reactions: holmgang
The problem with going the OEM 19" rim route is that it costs $1500.

For example, you can buy the 18" tires with no extra cost, and buy aftermarket 19" rims that are flow forged for less than $1500. That way you have two sets of rims that you can swap as desired for less than the OEM 19" costs. Or if you don't need the OEM 18", you can sell them for $500-800. This also allows you to pick the best tire for your driving location.

This exactly. I've never been able to get behind the 19's or 20's because they look like wheels a manufacturer for a car would provide as stock. If I'm going to spend anything on new rims, they will look much better than any OEM option, and probably lighter as well. Plus you can always sell the 18's and get decent money back. My reasons for starting off with the aeros.

This exactly. I've never been able to get behind the 19's or 20's because they look like wheels a manufacturer for a car would provide as stock. If I'm going to spend anything on new rims, they will look much better than any OEM option, and probably lighter as well. Plus you can always sell the 18's and get decent money back. My reasons for starting off with the aeros.

Yeah, but you do have to factor in shipping, transporting, and mounting and balancing of the tires. By the time you do all that you're usually going to spend well over $1,500. And then there's the convenience of getting wheels you like from the start and not having to deal with all of that. But sure, if you don't like them, doesn't make much sense to spend $1,500 on them.

Reactions: Reborn
I decided on 18” being best for me because :
- I drive about 30,000 Kms (18,641 miles) per year
- Work in huge developing industrial park and get 2 nails in tires per year
- Replacement cost for a set of 4 - 18” tires at Costco is about $220 Canadian per tire as opposed to $400 for the 19”.

I always wonder if folks actually road test the cars with different wheel/tire sizes to see if they can actually notice a difference in the real world. I own a SR+ with 18s and a M3P with the 20s. I drive them both all the time and I can’t tell a difference in road noise or ride quality. In fact, I would say the Michelin PS4 tires on the M3P ride just as smooth as the 18s and offer a lot more performance when you want it. They also look better and the tires don’t cost all that much more.

Reactions: Torque Monster
Yeah, but you do have to factor in shipping, transporting, and mounting and balancing of the tires. By the time you do all that you're usually going to spend well over $1,500. And then there's the convenience of getting wheels you like from the start and not having to deal with all of that. But sure, if you don't like them, doesn't make much sense to spend $1,500 on them.

I paid $1350 for flowforged 19" rims that weight the same as the 18" oems, and the price included shipping and mounting. I had to pay extra for a second set of TPMS, but that's still less than the 19" costs.

OImv4f9.jpg

Just to illustrate the difference for a semi-long trip. San Jose to San Diego is 461 miles.

Better route planner is saying:

34min charging total for 18” Aero.
40min charging total for 19” Sport.

Is 6 minutes of charging (with current V2 Superchargers) worth it?

Even my 2600mi CA to Ontario trip is

5h50min charging with 18” Aeros
6h18min charging with 19” Sports

Man I’m in the weeds on this...
19’s cost more to replace and are more easily damaged by potholes.

I always wonder if folks actually road test the cars with different wheel/tire sizes to see if they can actually notice a difference in the real world. I own a SR+ with 18s and a M3P with the 20s. I drive them both all the time and I can’t tell a difference in road noise or ride quality. In fact, I would say the Michelin PS4 tires on the M3P ride just as smooth as the 18s and offer a lot more performance when you want it. They also look better and the tires don’t cost all that much more.
I couldn't agree more. See my above post about me testing the 18s and 19s back to back and on separate days. You really have to 'looking' for differences in the ride quality to pick one or the other (Although, range and looks are another matter)

Reactions: raptor5244