Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD is being reported as performance by VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just called my insurance company and added the new Model 3 which is AWD to my insurance policy. When I checked the policy today, it is listed as:
2018 TESLA MODEL 3 PERFORMANCE AWD

Which causes a higher insurance rates because of the performance part.
When I talked to my insurance company, I was told that they have no control over that as this information is pulled from DMV using the VIN I provided.

I know I did not buy the performance package because I would have to pay a lot more than what I paid.
So what gives?

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi,

I just called my insurance company and added the new Model 3 which is AWD to my insurance policy. When I checked the policy today, it is listed as:
2018 TESLA MODEL 3 PERFORMANCE AWD

Which causes a higher insurance rates because of the performance part.
When I talked to my insurance company, I was told that they have no control over that as this information is pulled from DMV using the VIN I provided.

I know I did not buy the performance package because I would have to pay a lot more than what I paid.
So what gives?

Thanks in advance for any help

This may not be the answer you want, but the 8th digit of the VIN which denotes the drivetrain, is the same for either AWD or AWD-P, which should be the letter B. It sounds like your insurance company is blanketing any MY18 Model 3 AWD vehicles as "Performance." In other words, there's no way to tell from the VIN if you have a Performance version of the Model 3 or not. Only that it's AWD.

This may not be the answer you want, but the 8th digit of the VIN which denotes the drivetrain, is the same for either AWD or AWD-P, which should be the letter B. It sounds like your insurance company is blanketing any MY18 Model 3 AWD vehicles as "Performance." In other words, there's no way to tell from the VIN if you have a Performance version of the Model 3 or not. Only that it's AWD.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I do see the letter B in the VIN located ar the 8th position from left. What the agent told me was that they have no control over that and they only type the VIN and DMV returns model which in this case is categorized as performance. I will try to get to the bottom of this and will update this thread.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the offer. My rate is ok since I have multiple cars and property etc... But I still don't want to pay for a performance edition if I don't have that. I will get to the bottom of this soon and will post updates.

My advice is to borrow a friendly owner's AWD vin just for quoting purposes.

If it also shows up as performance, you are not being singled out.

I was just asked how much I paid.

"I said too much" and got offered $20,000 per year coverage from my credit union. ;)