Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 brain transplant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cypho

Dec 20, 2018
USA
I saw an ad for salvage M3 parts today and had a (most likely dumb) thought. Is possible to put the computer from a salvaged Model 3 into an undamaged car?

And if it is possible: If the salvage car had FSD would the brain transfer unlock FSD on the undamaged car? If the salvage car had Free supercharging, would the undamaged car get it? If the salvage car was a P would it unlock the hidden potential (if there was any) of the undamaged car?

FYI - No way I would try this even if it does work. Warranty is worth way more than any possible benefit.

I believe that FSD is included in every car (at least now it is) and can be unlocked via a software update. I assume they use your VIN to decide if you're allowed to access that.

Same with Supercharging. They use your VIN, on their end, to decide if the charge is free or you have to pay.

Not sure about Performance. I'm betting that's just a software thing, but can't say for sure they don't use motors or other parts that tested at higher thresholds. (like how CPUs with different clock speeds are all from the same batch they just use the ones that test better for the "higher end" part)

I believe that FSD is included in every car (at least now it is) and can be unlocked via a software update. I assume they use your VIN to decide if you're allowed to access that.

Same with Supercharging. They use your VIN, on their end, to decide if the charge is free or you have to pay.

Not sure about Performance. I'm betting that's just a software thing, but can't say for sure they don't use motors or other parts that tested at higher thresholds. (like how CPUs with different clock speeds are all from the same batch they just use the ones that test better for the "higher end" part)

Obviously for legal purposes(registration/insurance/etc), the VIN would not change. But would swapping out the computer cause the VIN to change from a software point of view?

When the car phones home and requests access to software features would the car identify itself with the salvage car's VIN and be granted access?

Whenever you do transplants, you have to worry about rejection. AFAIK, there's a number of parts that know about each other and replacing one requires it's information to be updated in others.
From what I hear, there are some salvage recovery forums for Tesla, but AFAIK, it isn't plug and play.

If you swapped effectively all the electronics in the car, it would act exactly as the old car. But most of the components are ‘coded’ to the car, so you’d need to change most everything, including the battery and drive unit(s) to the best of my knowledge. Although I suspect this may be the first modern car that this is possible in, since it’s exempt from having OBDII. So, presumably it would be fine even for a state inspection for the car to ‘think’ it’s another VIN. It sounds quite unlikely this would somehow be cheaper than just paying for FSD though.

Obviously for legal purposes(registration/insurance/etc), the VIN would not change. But would swapping out the computer cause the VIN to change from a software point of view?

When the car phones home and requests access to software features would the car identify itself with the salvage car's VIN and be granted access?

Possibly but how would that affect service appointments and other situations where Tesla might physically read the VIN and notice it's different then what the software reports?

It's also possible they have so sort of "inactive" list on their servers that stores the VINs of cars that have been totaled.