Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 CANARDS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Has anyone ever seen a link/car with canards for the model 3?

The common "fog light canards" that you see a lot don't seem like they would have any aerodynamic benefit at all (whether reduction in drag or increase in downforce).

This is an example of a pair of canards that look like they would provide actual downforce:

Let me know if anyone has seen some/made some! Thanks!

Most likely anything you find will be nothing other than cosmetic. Included is Adro's CFD report as reference:

52048439079_c012aefe98_b.jpg

Someone could make good money selling these.

I think one of the issues may be the shape of the model 3 front bumper. If you look at it, you'll notice not much room for canards. It's kind of an awkward shape to fit them.
There are plenty other there Im just not sure they are worth the money being asked...If Im not mistaken they are all "installed" with 3M tape, guessing they are seeing that much force.

Yeah, 3M tape means it can't be seeing much force. Maybe a little, but not noticeable considering the max force will be at high speed and that max force will be the limit of the tape. 3D printed parts could work fine if they are tied in correctly. The best jobs I have seen are connected to the chassis instead of the bumpers. Those are always done buy guys on another level from me though.

3M attached parts are fine if it is for cosmetics you are going for. Personally I wish they did something a little more aggressive for the M3P with extra cooling.

In my experience, the problem with canards is that, while they do create downforce, they also create a lot (relatively speaking) of drag.

So, unlike a proper front splitter, rear diffuser, and wing - which can all be optimized to create downforce without adding lots of drag, canards inherently don't operate that way.

So, on an EV, especially one that has power that trails off at higher speeds, I don't see how this makes any sense beyond being a cosmetic, range-reducing piece.

In my experience, the problem with canards is that, while they do create downforce, they also create a lot (relatively speaking) of drag.

So, unlike a proper front splitter, rear diffuser, and wing - which can all be optimized to create downforce without adding lots of drag, canards inherently don't operate that way.

So, on an EV, especially one that has power that trails off at higher speeds, I don't see how this makes any sense beyond being a cosmetic, range-reducing piece.
Thanks for the input man. That makes sense for sure.

Maybe there are minimal downforce gains on a track, but the increase in drag probably completely negates that.