Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing frunk soft close device on 2023 M3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a drunk electric soft closing lock device from EV Parts Online (Tesla Model 3 Frunk Electric Suction Soft Closing Lock, 2021-2023) and tried following some videos for its installation (
) but seems like the battery that my car has doesn't have matching connectors to connect the +&- connections of the motor of this device (image attached).
Do you know if there's a way to use this device? Or with the 16V Li-ion batteries this is not possible anymore?
Thanks guys!
IMG_20240125_152123_01.jpg

The instructions on Satonic's website have some crude instructions for the lithium battery equipped vehicles in the last box.

I have a 2018MY, so wiring was fairly straightforward.

The 2018 appears to use a different sensor bracket so I don't know if this applies to newer versions, but the switch lever on mine would run into the OE latch when I lowered the hood down. I had to bend the little arm so it would clear so that the sensor would trigger.

I also hope you got the V2 version. Most V1 versions don't have an emergency release and if it gets stuck, it may require cutting the cable from underneath. This was discussed heavily in the Model Y section after some members experienced failures.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
I ran into the same issue on my 23M3. Just so I could button it up because it was late in the day, I slipped one-half of the connector through the slot in the batter and then pushed the plastic cap down. It actually locks it in very snugly, so I have to go back in and change it. Judging by the light gauge of the wire, I imagine the amps going through it is very low; therefore, I'm less concerned with any increased resistance issues due to a weak connection. I'm not suggesting others necessarily follow my lead, but ...

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat with my 2023 M3 RWD. I got the Tlyard brand of the suction close frunk and the positive connector is not made or the positive terminal on my car. I'm apprehensive in adding a nut and bolt to attach since the protective cover would then no longer fit over the terminal. Would I be able to just wrap the terminal in electrical tape to protect it? I am not an electrician so cutting the wire to attach it some other way is not an option for me. Tlyard will not give a full refund since they claim that it isn't an installation problem. Help?

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat with my 2023 M3 RWD. I got the Tlyard brand of the suction close frunk and the positive connector is not made or the positive terminal on my car. I'm apprehensive in adding a nut and bolt to attach since the protective cover would then no longer fit over the terminal. Would I be able to just wrap the terminal in electrical tape to protect it? I am not an electrician so cutting the wire to attach it some other way is not an option for me. Tlyard will not give a full refund since they claim that it isn't an installation problem. Help?
This is what I did.

IMG_0911.jpeg

The hardest part was cutting the side of the (red) plastic cap to make a pass-through for the wire, be careful not to crack it all the way up.
I’m not an electrician either 🤷🏽‍♂️ so be careful.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    405 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0913.jpeg
    IMG_0913.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0914.jpeg
    IMG_0914.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0911.jpeg
    IMG_0911.jpeg