Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing a Key Fob? Do you have to purchase through Tesla, or do any of the 3rd party sites ones work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of Purchasing a Key Fob? Do you have to purchase through Tesla, or do any of the 3rd party sites selling for $100 less work?

Looking at this one, but want feedback from others if there are any differences...\

I hate to ask...but why? Is this your first Tesla? I cannot imagine carrying a fob around and having to use it. I walk up to my car with my phone in my pocket and the car unlocks as soon as I open the car. I walk away from my car with my phone in my pocket and the windows close and the car locks.

Reactions: KerryOH
you can also voice command short cut lots of stuff. (Hey Siri, Open Trunk)
(hey siri, close trunk), etc.

I got a fob for my X, so when my wife and I exit the car, I can single click close the doors and tailgate.

For the S/3/Y, the fob is less critical. For those cars, I think I'd be fine w/out.
I drive my wife's y w/just phone just fine.

But i'm not searching for my phone, to hit whatever, to close all the things every time. :p

I ordered from the website, arrived, took < 3 min to link to car. (You'll need a key card to link them).

Looking at this one, but want feedback from others if there are any differences...\
Did you read the description of this thing? It’s not so much a fob as it is a keycard shaped like a fob.

To use it you’ll have to take it out of your pocket, hold it up to the B pillar to unlock the car, and then hold it against the center console to “start” the car and drive (just like the plastic cards they gave you at delivery).

Is that really what you’re after?

If you want a real fob, with buttons, proximity unlock, etc - you need to buy a Tesla one.

Reactions: bluenycom
Why? Because phones are great but they run out of juice sometimes so a physical thing is handy sometimes. I got a new model y 6 days ago. It came with a card that unlocks the door and starts the car. Looks like about the size of a credit card. It helps when my phone is dead or acting up.

Ive owned my Model Y for 20 months. I used the credit card sized key to open the door on delivery day and I have never used it since. I set my phone up as the key on delivery day. My phone battery never dies, but I do carry a Tesla credit card sized key in my tiny RFID protected CC wallet just in case it were to happen. Been a perfect solution for me.

I have the Tesla Fob. It has both proximity (Bluetooth needing power) and NFC capabilities (passive like keycard). It is paired with both our MY and M3. The item you showed only has passive function like keycard.

It's the family car, not having a key fob was kinda frustrating .. now with the fob everybody understands how it works (don't need my phone) and from a distance I can unlock it lighting the car up or easily fiddle in my pocket find the fob and click open the trunk. The fob works, the card/phone is just brings extra convenient features. Tesla shouldn't have stopped delivering it with a fob IMHO

Reactions: David99
Why? Because phones are great but they run out of juice sometimes so a physical thing is handy sometimes. I got a new model y 6 days ago. It came with a card that unlocks the door and starts the car. Looks like about the size of a credit card. It helps when my phone is dead or acting up.
If its an emergency backup then my vote goes for a ring .. always with me even when I'm at the beach or swimming!