Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Cellular connection cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a Model S a few weeks ago, and asked a similar question. (However, an actual owner might know first hand -- I'm just a Model 3 reservation holder.)

They told me that the car connects to the internet for maps, updates, etc. This connection is built into the car, and we don't have to do anything to maintain it. There's no account to set up, or bill to pay. It's just part of the car. However, we can not use that connection for our personal devices (i.e., the kids can't stream movies off of that connection). It's just for the car to talk to Tesla.

I hope this helps.

Tesla does specify (or has specified in the past) a certain amount of time (4 years, if I remember correctly). However, they have yet to make any owners pay for it (for the Model S, at least). No one has owned a Model 3 long enough to know what Tesla will do.

The general feeling is that having the cars connected is important enough for Tesla to not make owners pay for it.

Tesla does specify (or has specified in the past) a certain amount of time (4 years, if I remember correctly). However, they have yet to make any owners pay for it (for the Model S, at least). No one has owned a Model 3 long enough to know what Tesla will do.

The general feeling is that having the cars connected is important enough for Tesla to not make owners pay for it.

As well there is no Internet browser in the 3 as in the S and X. Apparently its not great anyways.