Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 charging limited near 50 kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry about reviving a stale thread, but I wanted to pick everyone’s brains...

At the Culver City supercharger, my LR RWD 3 used to get 100+ kW when starting between 30-50% SOC on an unpaired stall, and then it would taper down to 50-70 kW as I reached 70-85% SOC (approximately). Granted, this was with warmer weather...outside temps in the 70s when charging (summer evenings).

These days, even on unpaired stalls at the same Culver City supercharger, I’m lucky to get above 50 kW starting at 40% SOC. It rarely exceeds 50, and is usually in the low 30s kW. Ambient temp is around high 50s, low 60s since it’s a bit colder now.

Anyone experience the same thing for their 3? Is this totally normal behavior, or something to ask a service advisor about?
I'm gonna call BS on being at the CC supercharger and not being on a shared stall, ja ja!!!! That place is never not full anymore, much less empty on multiple stalls. At least, between 6 AM and 10 PM

I'm gonna call BS on being at the CC supercharger and not being on a shared stall, ja ja!!!! That place is never not full anymore, much less empty on multiple stalls. At least, between 6 AM and 10 PM

Haha! You’re right. Unpaired if I get to swing by at around 11 at night or sometimes 8-9 am. Otherwise...usually a line.

Thanks for the helpful insights everyone. I guess I’ll give tesla a call at some point.

Today I supercharged for the first time and I barely got above 50kW and not a single other Tesla was charging. It was around 20 degrees, is this normal for this temp?
Probably, but need more info—had you driven a long time before charging or did you try to charge before leaving on your trip? What was your state of charge when you started charging?

I've found you have to drive at least an hour to have any chance of having a warm battery when it's freezing or below with a cold soaked battery. Even when you get all the regen back you still need more driving to get anywhere near max charging speed. Always best to charge at the end of your trip instead of the start if possible when cold out.

In my experience superchargers work great (i.e. charge > 100KW) even in the cold if I'm using them for a road trip -- that is driving for a few hours until SOC ~10% and then charging to about 60% and then repeating. If on the other hand I just stop by a supercharger while I'm running some random errands, I get 30-50kw.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I had an 85D and NEVER had issues on any SC except once when the pack was below 30. My 3LR charges very slow at times and I have determined there is cold temp restrictions at temps about 40-50, and charging does not always bring it up. In fact ti thing the pack needs to be about 80 to get max rates on certain SOC levels. I have tested this over and over and the 3 is highly restricted at temps that are not that cold, at least mine is.