Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 clear matte wrap in London...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are plenty of post on wraps and everything... but I wanted one in the UK specifically.

I never wrapped any of my previous cars (no colour nor simple protection films).
Never had significant problems...

however, we all heard the “soft and thin” Tesla paint stories.
I’ve seen scary M3s with worn paint at the bottom..

I’m really planning to keep this car over 5yrs and I like to baby my cars and make them look as good as they can.

Is it really necessary to wrap it?

I am interested to do what I heard called a “clear bra” (LOL), and I’ve seen like Matt/Sartin finishes that emphasise the pearl finish of the paint.

Do you have any recommendations and prices to do this in London? East London/Essex best, but can travel anywhere in London if worth it..

The thing is... I’m not feeling like handing a iPad on wheels to just anyone, especially if they don’t know how the car is (if that makes any sense). Especially as I know that sometimes they have to remove pieces to actually wrap it properly...

So in conclusion...
1. what are your thoughts on this?
2. Do you know anyone that is reputable (maybe someone you or a friend used in the past 6 months or so)?
3. What prices am I looking to do the whole car?

All I know is to have it done properly with decent wrap like Xpel Stealth it costs thousands. £3-4k for a full wrap, on the sites I've seen. I've thought about it in the past, but unless I had a supercar it doesn't feel worth it.

Reactions: Blueskye
A decent XPEL wrap done by a professional you won’t even know is there, unless you go looking for it.

As said above though it won’t be cheap. Only you can decide if it’s worth doing relative to getting stonechips etc resprayed.

Xpel do a 'lower rocker' kit that does sills, lower rear mudguard, and lower doors. Add some mud flaps, and you will have mitigated against the potential salt/grit blasting problem as much as you can.

Make sure you use an approved installer not just a trained one - I learned that lesson. Also make sure its fully wrapped at the edges, not just the stick on one otherwise you not be protected where its most needed on leading/lower edges.

I paid around £270 from a 'trained' installer, but needed to get it redone (there were some bubbling issues but predominately the installer apparently did not get my verbal instructions to his lackie on drop off to fully wrap so just 'slapped it on' leaving the high risk areas exposed - their word against mine, but he didn't even think to offer an option and ask, just went for the cheapest, less protective method) by an approved installer in Hampshire which cost a further £400. Expensive lesson learned but sometimes you have to cut your losses when communication so poor and I wanted a proper job rather than a cheap job so in the end went to a place I could trust.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Blueskye and Durzel
Xpel do a 'lower rocker' kit that does sills, lower rear mudguard, and lower doors. Add some mud flaps, and you will have mitigated against the potential salt/grit blasting problem as much as you can.

Make sure you use an approved installer not just a trained one - I learned that lesson. Also make sure its fully wrapped at the edges, not just the stick on one otherwise you not be protected where its most needed on leading/lower edges.

I paid around £270 from a 'trained' installer, but needed to get it redone (there were some bubbling issues but predominately the installer apparently did not get my verbal instructions to his lackie on drop off to fully wrap so just 'slapped it on' leaving the high risk areas exposed - their word against mine, but he didn't even think to offer an option and ask, just went for the cheapest, less protective method) by an approved installer in Hampshire which cost a further £400. Expensive lesson learned but sometimes you have to cut your losses when communication so poor and I wanted a proper job rather than a cheap job so in the end went to a place I could trust.

oh Lordy... sorry for the experience.

just to understand... did you wrap the full car or only the front portion or the bottom only?

Who was the Hampshire installer?

Steve Baker at Paintguard UK. He's been in the business > 20 years and makes the job look easy.
But work actually takes place in Waterlooville - just don't use the Tesla sat nav to find it!
But he does not do ceramic coating, just Xpel and another brand.

oh Lordy... sorry for the experience.

just to understand... did you wrap the full car or only the front portion or the bottom only?
Just the 'rocker kit' - and the boot lip. 5 months in, I would consider doing front bumper too. iirc only a few £££ on top of other work. Unfortunately, due to weather and this being a short appointment whilst travelling I couldn't get the Xpel coated with their coating (can't remember the name of it) but come warm/dry weather, I may see about doing that myself.

Last edited: