Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Collision repair location and cost in central NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.
Ended up hitting a deer last night with my model 3.
Looks like the passenger side headlight has come loose, the two front sensors have popped in, and a couple of scratches, one deep on the front bumper.
I am in central NJ, wanted to see if anyone here would have a sense of how much this would cost going to Tesla shop vs a tesla approved auto body? I can let the scratches alone if that increases the cost a lot.
I set up mobile appointment with Tesla, more than a week out.

Appreciate any help.

Hi all.
Ended up hitting a deer last night with my model 3.
Looks like the passenger side headlight has come loose, the two front sensors have popped in, and a couple of scratches, one deep on the front bumper.
I am in central NJ, wanted to see if anyone here would have a sense of how much this would cost going to Tesla shop vs a tesla approved auto body? I can let the scratches alone if that increases the cost a lot.
I set up mobile appointment with Tesla, more than a week out.

Appreciate any help.

Not sure where in Central NJ you are, but I've had a great experience with Collision Restoration in Fairfield. They're a very strong Tesla certified shop. I'd take them over the Tesla service center any day of the week.

Let insurance pay for the repairs; a deer accident is a comprehensive claim and not considered at-fault. Our insurance went *down* after a deer hit, if you can believe it...

If you call C.R., ask for Eric Veit. He's their insurance expert and can walk you through all of it. I can't say enough good things about them - they did right by me after a long string of bad events.

I got an appraisal done as reqd by my insurance company through one of their authorized shop, and they gave 1500 for changing the front bumper and the passenger turn lights.

Is this something that sounds right? And would it be ok to get something like this to get done from a non tesla certified shop, like warranty issues etc?

I got an appraisal done as reqd by my insurance company through one of their authorized shop, and they gave 1500 for changing the front bumper and the passenger turn lights.

Is this something that sounds right? And would it be ok to get something like this to get done from a non tesla certified shop, like warranty issues etc?

If it's JUST the bumper and passenger light, entirely possible. The bumper cover is about ~$400 or so from Tesla.

When I had to get my front bumper and hood replaced on my Model S, I ended up using Ficarro's Auto Body in Ewing. They did a good job and had done some Tesla repairs in the past. They were one of the few shops local to me willing to be persistent enough to deal with Tesla's BS when ordering replacement parts.

You really ought to be a little more specific on what you mean by "Central NJ" for people to give you more helpful recommendations - it's been my experience that depending on where you live in New Jersey, "central" means very different regions to different folks. I live near Trenton and I've been told by folks who live near Cherry Hill that I'm from North Jersey and I've been told by folks who live in New Brunswick that I live in South Jersey!

I am in South Brunswick to be precise. the closest Tesla certified shops are Ultimate Collision in Edison or Coleman Auto body in Lawrenceville.
Anyone have experience with either?

I called Coleman and their ball park was about 3000, which was way higher than the 1500 I got from the insurance approved shop.

My main concern is if people have done these type of jobs from non tesla certified shops, and whether it has any impact on warranty.

I’ve used Coleman twice, the second time for pretty extensive repairs after a deer strike earlier this year. They were excellent both times and at least in my case did a great job of collaborating/negotiating with the insurance company to get everything covered so I paid nothing but my deductible.

FWIW I wouldn’t try to get any significant body repairs done at a Tesla SC - not really their focus and Princeton told me that my deer-damage was beyond what they felt comfortable taking on.