Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Configuration.... Help!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently on deployment and due back by Christmas ( crossing my fingers ). I am putting in an order for a Model 3 in the coming weeks to be ready for when I get back for a post deployment / Xmas gift to me. I am stuck on how I want to configure my M3.

I currently daily drive a Dodge Challenger SRT8. Great car and will missed a lot but it is time to move on for a few reasons. I will be using the M3 as my daily commuter and I drive from San Diego to Sacramento a lot. I want a hard accelerating car but want it to calm down for those long trips. I am considering the following:

Model 3 Performance
Model 3 Long Range w/ Acceleration Boast (Suspension Mod in time)

I am leaning toward Model 3 Performance because no "what ifs" and would not mod. If I was home I would test drive but that's not an option.

Which would you recommend?

Thanks for your service! Honestly if you’re debating between the two, go with the performance. You’re going to pay an extra $2,000 anyway for the performance boost and whatever the suspension mod will cost. Plus you won’t ever be second guessing yourself on if you made the right decision.

Reactions: RScottyL
the LR with acceleration boost car would have sightly more factory rated range. No one "needs" more speed but plenty "want" it. You are already asking about it (and drive a fast car now), so the model 3 performance would likely "impress" you more in the speed department.

I would say get the Model 3 Performance, but thats what I have, so confirmation bias on my part.

Here is a very informative video on this subject.

I would say you should go with the Long Range as there are some drawbacks and advantages to the performance model that you should consider. Those drawbacks are fine for some people, but it depends on your circumstances. Watch the video to learn more.

Here is a very informative video on this subject.

I would say you should go with the Long Range as there are some drawbacks and advantages to the performance model that you should consider. Those drawbacks are fine for some people, but it depends on your circumstances. Watch the video to learn more.

Can you give us the cliff notes version here without us watching the video? the only drawbacks I am aware of for the performance model is a reduced factory range number because of the factory 20 tires, and the fact the 20 inch tires can be fragile. Im interested a bit to know what other "drawbacks" there might be, but that shouldnt need a youtube video so hoping you can summarize.

Can you give us the cliff notes version here without us watching the video? the only drawbacks I am aware of for the performance model is a reduced factory range number because of the factory 20 tires, and the fact the 20 inch tires can be fragile. Im interested a bit to know what other "drawbacks" there might be, but that shouldnt need a youtube video so hoping you can summarize.
Sure, this is what is covered in the video:
Essentially it recommends the M3P if you intend to take it to the track, otherwise the LR could be your best bet.
1. Wheels and tires, if you need to drive in winter conditions you will need to buy winter tires, for the 20" wheels they are expensive. Obviously fine as long as you are expecting the extra expense.
2. Stiffer ride due to wheels and suspension, which you will only really benefit from if you go to the track. The LR will handle pot holes and daily driving better.
3. Extra cost, again which get you benefits only really felt at a track.

That is the overview. It isnt saying dont buy it, more like be aware of these things so you know what you are getting into.

Essentially it recommends the M3P if you intend to take it to the track, otherwise the LR could be your best bet.
1. Wheels and tires, if you need to drive in winter conditions you will need to buy winter tires, for the 20" wheels they are expensive. Obviously fine as long as you are expecting the extra expense.
2. Stiffer ride due to wheels and suspension, which you will only really benefit from if you go to the track. The LR will handle pot holes and daily driving better.

That is the overview. It isnt saying dont buy it, more like be aware of these things so you know what you are getting into.

What you mention is all of what I have been considering. I was a little concerned about having summer tires but I live in SoCal and the weather permits for all year use. I do plan on replacing the tires with High Performance 3 season when the OEMs wear out. I wont be tracking the car at all so that point has weighted on me. I guess my main concern is I am basically a car nut. To have a car that can do 2.9 regularly would be a dream come true. I am sure a LR w/AB would be the fasted accelerating car I have ever driven. I just wish I could actually test drive both before I make a decision to see if I can even tell the difference.

Thanks very much for the summary, I appreciate it (not being snarky at all, I do appreciate you taking the time to type it up).

To OP:

I live in temecula and commute to Oceanside (you would know where I am if you are from out here) and have been driving on summer only tires on my BMWs and now my tesla for approximately 15 years.

We dont need winter tires here at all, unless you go to the mountains to ski or something. In fact, the summer tires the Model 3P comes with are some of the best street summer tires in existance, and handle WET conditions (Which we do get obviously) better than many all season tires.

Translation. summer tires = no issue for you specifically. The rest of it boils down to "you dont need to go that fast, save your money" which is said by everyone who doesnt buy the fastest version of whatever car it is. I dont know if its "2.9 regularly" because it was rated at 3.2 when I bought mine but they have made it a little faster since then.

Either you want the speed, or you dont. No one "needs" it (no one "needs" the speed of the LR either, actually lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaolinJ
Based on the OP's comments, I would now lean towards the M3P. Seems like you might always regret a different decision.
Both cars will be awesome, both have small pros and cons compared to each other.
For me, I chose the LR as I do make long trips with family, so the added range and comfort is important. I also regularly travel in winter to Utah and Arizona, where it can be freezing. (Oceanside is one of our favorite summer vacation spots, love that place). So you can see the reasons I chose the LR, but this is just my situation.....
Good luck!

Reactions: jjrandorin
I am currently on deployment and due back by Christmas ( crossing my fingers ). I am putting in an order for a Model 3 in the coming weeks to be ready for when I get back for a post deployment / Xmas gift to me. I am stuck on how I want to configure my M3.

I currently daily drive a Dodge Challenger SRT8. Great car and will missed a lot but it is time to move on for a few reasons. I will be using the M3 as my daily commuter and I drive from San Diego to Sacramento a lot. I want a hard accelerating car but want it to calm down for those long trips. I am considering the following:

Model 3 Performance
Model 3 Long Range w/ Acceleration Boast (Suspension Mod in time)

I am leaning toward Model 3 Performance because no "what ifs" and would not mod. If I was home I would test drive but that's not an option.

Which would you recommend?
I bought the standard range plus with 250 miles.. I would say it’s fast enough with the torque. I would go with the long range if you can spare the extra cash but I haven’t had any range anxiety because lots of chargers in California so I’m good with 250.

I would definitely chose the performance version if cold weather driving is not an immediate issue.
Remember the Performance version includes Track mode which keeps improving through over the air free upgrades.

If you haven’t driven one you will be SHOCKED at how quick the acceleration is compared to ANY other street car.
Model 3 Performance 0-60 is about 3.2 which is well over a second quicker than an SRT8 and about as fast as a well prepared Hellcat.

Teslas are unique because they can go from extreme performance to normal driving without any issues in seconds.

I can use the extra performance daily and legally by accelerating to the speed limit from a light or entering a highway. I’ve also used the acceleration as a safety measure by accelerating away from potential accidents.

It’s been over a year since I bought my car and I still cant help but smile every time I drive it.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
What you mention is all of what I have been considering. I was a little concerned about having summer tires but I live in SoCal and the weather permits for all year use. I do plan on replacing the tires with High Performance 3 season when the OEMs wear out. I wont be tracking the car at all so that point has weighted on me. I guess my main concern is I am basically a car nut. To have a car that can do 2.9 regularly would be a dream come true. I am sure a LR w/AB would be the fasted accelerating car I have ever driven. I just wish I could actually test drive both before I make a decision to see if I can even tell the difference.
Since you’re a car nut, get a Performance. One of the things that hit home after taking my 3 to the strip was...that’s it; there is no more performance coming out of this car unless Tesla releases it. With ICE cars, you can add heads, cam, blower, turbo, etc. Can’t do that with a Tesla. You’ll want the most you can get.

Wheels/tires argument; a lot of gear heads get aftermarket ones anyway and there is decent money back when selling the factory ones.

Suspension; even a Performance is not a sports car; it’s not that low and not that stiff. I find it very floaty at speed. It could use good aftermarket springs and struts/shocks.

Brakes; the Performance brakes are decent and worth having on such a heavy car (4K+ lbs). They are not used most of the time with regenerative braking, but you’ll be glad they are there when you do. Saves from having to upgrade to an aftermarket set.