Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 configuration page opening close to start of production for external orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly.

In order for the cars to be used for Test Drives, I think it would be necessary for them to be Production level. If they are Alpha or Beta or other levels of Evaluation builds, I doubt the public at large would be allowed behind the wheel. So, yeah, I agree it would be cars likely built alongside or shortly after Employees' cars that would be put into service as demos. Those built earlier thsn that could only be used for test rides and display.

No one here seems to think Tesla will repeat their "Get Amped Tour" that they had with Model S at about the time the first customers had to configure their cars?

Providing test drives to Reservation Holders has been one of our highest priorities for a long time. What better way to do it than with 5,000 test drives in 45 days? I am very pleased to announce that we are kicking off North American test drives the day after our first customer deliveries! In typical Tesla style, we are going big right out of the gate with 2,000 test drives in the first two weekends.

On June 23rd and 24th, we will launch the Get Amped Model S Tour at our own Tesla Factory in Fremont, California. Franz von Holzhausen, our chief designer, has created a great seven to eight minute test drive course that extends beyond the factory to nearby streets. The course offers a variety of experiences that include freeway driving, long sweepers, tight turns, smooth and rough roads, and general urban driving. It’s the perfect way to experience how Model S grips the road and loves to run.The Fremont event is just the beginning. Our second tour stop will be held the very next weekend in the Los Angeles area.

I believe they will do BETTER than that.
So tell us about a better way to get more reservation-holders in the first region to configure behind the wheels of an production Model 3 in a short time at a time where there is less then 100 produced total? Doing something like this with more cars/on more locations is not a better way, it's a better execution of the same strategy.

... and I do not say that they should to this *instead* of getting show/demo cars to the shops, that would be something that should be done more or less in parallel.

Reactions: Red Sage
As I've mentioned elsewhere, it would not be a bad idea to start sending Model 3 to Tesla Stores/Galleries ahead of those for Delivery.

Think of it this way... Tesla currently has about 100 locations across the U.S. Assuming that were to increase to 200 locations by the end of 2017, they may be able to get by with only two cars per location for up to three months at a time. So, one for the showroom, and one for test rides. That would be 400 cars.

Elon has already said their initial build rate would be 1,000 units per week, increasing steadily to 2,000 then through 4,000 to eventually get to 5,000 per week by year end. Just for the current stores that would be 20% of one week's cars at the lowest Production rate. After three months, the test drive car becomes a loaner, the showroom car is used for test drives, and a new car arrives for the showroom. Easy.

I think a lot more Customers would be relieved to see the final product before putting their order through than would be angered at not having received their car yet. Besides, when Production is at 5,000+ per week, 400 cars is only 8% or less. And they wouldn't necessarily build all those demo cars at once. Maybe only 2% every other week, or even every other month. So the demo cars could go to Tesla Stores/Galleries just ahead of anticipated Deliveries to an area.

So, maybe not nationwide, but certainly in California, there may be Model 3 demo cars on hand at Tesla Stores during Q4 2017.

I agree. Headroom is a problem for me in some cars. I've test driven the Model S three times and there wasn't much headroom to spare so I'm concerned that there may not be enough for me to drive comfortably without slanting the seat back at an angle. I need at least 38.5 inches so if we can't get into one at a gallery, then they had better have very accurate specifications that we can see what headroom is available.

Reactions: Red Sage