Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crash....opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm...harder than I thought to determine the speed. But to me it actually does look like a 30-60mph collision. Looks to me like the offending vehicle travels ~3ft in ~1/30th of a second. That would be ~60mph! But it is hard to assess the distortion in the repeaters (creates error in distance) and I'm too lazy to use some of my own videos to get actual measurements of distances. And a small error in distance makes a big difference! It's easily possible it was "only" 30mph. Others can recalculate and correct this assessment. But it would take a pretty big hit to get so much spinning to take place, so greater than 30mph seems totally conceivable.

What seemed to save a bit of damage given the impact speed, was both adjusting the angle of impact with the split-second final change in direction, and of course as mentioned before, the fact that a lot of the impact energy went into spinning your car more than 270 degrees (nearly 360, since you weren't going straight through the intersection anymore, at the moment of impact).

Without GAP insurance….you don't want anything totaled. I didn't have GAP insurance....and now I do.

I don't want to total my Free Unlimited Supercharging.

Gap insurance is for people who are underwater on their loan, which doesn't apply for my situation.

Free unlimited supercharging might be important for some people (I'm not among them, since I've done MAYBE $150 worth of supercharging in almost 2 years of having my Model 3), but I don't have it so it's moot.

I'd definitely rather have my car totaled and just go buy an LR AWD than deal with months of major repairs, driving a crappy rental car, taking a huge hit to the value of the car when it comes time to sell it, etc. Would I be out of pocket a few thousand bucks? Yup. But my remaining scrap of sanity is worth it.

Gap insurance is for people who are underwater on their loan, which doesn't apply for my situation.

Free unlimited supercharging might be important for some people (I'm not among them, since I've done MAYBE $150 worth of supercharging in almost 2 years of having my Model 3), but I don't have it so it's moot.

I'd definitely rather have my car totaled and just go buy an LR AWD than deal with months of major repairs, driving a crappy rental car, taking a huge hit to the value of the car when it comes time to sell it, etc. Would I be out of pocket a few thousand bucks? Yup. But my remaining scrap of sanity is worth it.

GAP insurance is probably for the majority of us....so I will keep that in the majority category....so that stays in the majority for me.

FUSC is for me...so that stays in the majority also.

In a forum such as this one....its always nice to save a few ( information about GAP ) then to not mention it at all.

So did this end up being a total loss? Looked like it probably was but it could be borderline if not much hidden damage. With the impact speed you’d think so but the car moved a lot.

UPDATE:
Initially filed as a total loss, then field adjuster estimated around $16k for repair. Sent it to a Tesla certified shop and mechanic called me immediately and said it was closer to $35-40k and he would need 3-4 months to get it back on the road! Finally got it totaled out. So now I'm shopping for my next Model 3.

UPDATE:
After much back and forth, finally got the car totaled. Shopping for my new Model 3 now. Question for you all: originally purchased with EAP, added full self driving for $3k in August. Never got the software or hardware update for FSD. You think Tesla will credit me the $3k since technically I've never had it? Hoping I don't have to direct message Elon on Twitter.

UPDATE:
Initially filed as a total loss, then field adjuster estimated around $16k for repair. Sent it to a Tesla certified shop and mechanic called me immediately and said it was closer to $35-40k and he would need 3-4 months to get it back on the road! Finally got it totaled out. So now I'm shopping for my next Model 3.

No surprises there! Hope you can get some of the discounts available before the end of the month. And hope you and all your passengers ended up with no lasting effects.

Wow, this video is really worth watching - have to pause it and go frame by frame, it happens so fast. Incredible that the Tesla was not jumping a green light at all, it was just normal driving with the light already green. How the hell can human drivers be so horrible to blow through a red light like that?? Incidents like this should be on the news every day - maybe people would finally realize how badly we need FSD!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life