Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crash....opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this past Friday I was the creamed pretty good as a woman sailed through a red light. For a pretty violent crash, all 3 passengers (driver and two in the back seats) walked away without a scratch. Thank you Tesla!

I attached a YouTube link from the front facing camera and several pictures below.

Here's where I need some help. As you can see from the pics the damage is pretty isolated. What is the likelihood of this damage being able to be repaired versus totaling it out? I am so fearful that I won't get my same Joules back. Let me know what you guys/gals think, thanks!

IMG_4575.JPG IMG_4576.JPG IMG_4577.JPG IMG_4578.JPG IMG_4579.JPG IMG_4580.JPG

I almost hit someone like the person that hit you while I was driving down the 1 to key west. I wasn’t aware of the lights being hung in the center and so small because I always look at the side of the road for lights. Plus, the 1 looked like a freeway to me where there shouldn’t be any lights.

As soon as I got on the 1, I blew through a very late red light with my wife screaming. I saw the old lady (like your car) to my right sitting at the green light and watched me blow by. If she went at green, I would have hit her like it was your car.

This is a situation while I always use as an example for FSD. The old lady knew from experience some dumb drivers like me may run red lights at 55mph. In LA, I usually also wait a few seconds before leaving when the light turn green. Many red light runners in LA.

Anyway, hope you are fine and glad to know a Mode can take a 55-60mph hit and still look good.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and Dre78
Glad to know you and your passengers are safe.

Even if it were fully repaired, there's a likelihood of it not driving the same (straight) due to the extent of frame/suspension damage. Perhaps it may be an opportunity to get into a new one.

Very glad you are ok. Lucky to get a hit in the rear quarter which allowed the car to spin and avoid some of the rapid energy dissipation. Very poor visibility heading into the intersection, as well.

1) It would be interesting to see the left repeater camera view, just to be able to judge the final impact velocity (can base it on motion per frame). I would guess a lot of braking got done by the offending party. Still a pretty hard hit but the spinning helped mitigate it.

2) If Florida were a TLF (Total Loss Formula) state, this would probably be a pretty easy total. But looks like they have an 80% threshold in Florida. So we’ll see. Depends on the type of Model 3, and prevailing body/paint labor rates. Hopefully there is significant hidden damage that drives the repair cost higher, and totals it.

I would think it will be at least $30k in damage, so it really does not make sense to repair it...but...silly laws...

Be sure to claim diminishment of value. That doesn’t count in the 80% formula, probably, but you definitely should get it!

3) How many airbags deployed in the Tesla?

Last edited:
So this past Friday I was the creamed pretty good as a woman sailed through a red light. For a pretty violent crash, all 3 passengers (driver and two in the back seats) walked away without a scratch. Thank you Tesla!

I attached a YouTube link from the front facing camera and several pictures below.

Here's where I need some help. As you can see from the pics the damage is pretty isolated. What is the likelihood of this damage being able to be repaired versus totaling it out? I am so fearful that I won't get my same Joules back. Let me know what you guys/gals think, thanks!

View attachment 449235 View attachment 449237 View attachment 449238 View attachment 449239 View attachment 449240 View attachment 449241

I have recently learned from experience that there is absolutely no way of knowing if a car will be totaled or not from the exterior of an accident.

The major part of your accident doesn't appear to be body work. I'm interested in that rear wheel that is bent in. That looks like the costly part.

2) If Florida were a TLF (Total Loss Formula) state, this would probably be a pretty easy total. But looks like they have an 80% threshold in Florida. So we’ll see. Depends on the type of Model 3, and prevailing body/paint labor rates. Hopefully there is significant hidden damage that drives the repair cost higher, and totals it.

I would think it will be at least $30k in damage, so it really does not make sense to repair it...but...silly laws...
I think we may be interpreting that incorrectly. While in Florida the insurance company is required to total the car if damages exceed 80% of the value it sounds like they can choose to total it at any repair cost less than that too.
While total-loss thresholds may be mandated by state law, they rarely come into play. Even though insurers are required to total the cars that are over these thresholds, they can and do total many vehicles that are under the threshold.
Total-loss thresholds by state | CarInsurance.com

It certainly looks totaled to me if you go by total loss formula (repair cost) > (actual value - salvage value - rental car cost - diminished value).

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I have recently learned from experience that there is absolutely no way of knowing if a car will be totaled or not from the exterior of an accident.

The major part of your accident doesn't appear to be body work. I'm interested in that rear wheel that is bent in. That looks like the costly part.
Not so sure about that. I bet replacing the rear subframe and motor assembly is relatively cheap since it just bolts in. Damage to the rear quarter of the body is crazy expensive to fix because of all the welding and painting.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I think we may be interpreting that incorrectly. While in Florida the insurance company is required to total the car if damages exceed 80% of the value it sounds like they can choose to total it at any repair cost less than that too.

Total-loss thresholds by state | CarInsurance.com

It certainly looks totaled to me if you go by total loss formula (repair cost) > (actual value - salvage value - rental car cost - diminished value).

All depends. My car was totaled until I showed the insurance company my original Tesla invoice with FSD and EAP on it. It raised the value of my car to the point where it wasn't totaled anymore. Its fixed now.

Ah. That would make more sense! So it is a mandated total when cost of repairs exceed 80% of ACV...or something...

My car was totaled until I showed the insurance company my invoice with FSD and EAP on it. It raised the value of my car to the point where it wasn't totaled anymore. Its fixed now.

Yeah that would have raised the ACV sufficiently.

So I gather your repairs must have been...a lot. Can’t remember in that thread... $20k? But with the DOV and rental/storage/etc., total costs to insurer probably pushed over $40k?

The thing that made yours relatively easy to total is that the damage was super minor and the car just needed the tensioner done and the pyrofuse replaced (maybe not even that?) and it was good to drive. So salvage value was high!

Salvage value of the vehicle above is definitely a lot lower! Not drivable and probably needs a new rear motor and suspension - and perhaps a new battery -in addition to the other cosmetic things.

The more I think about the above, the easier it is to conceive that this could be a trivial total...