Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 cupholder improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Original design, from scratch.

This device friction-fits in the empty middle space of the center console, providing spring loaded wings to stabilize smaller cups/bottles/containers in the large space. The wings are recessed to fold fully flat if needed by a large item, like a 750ml bottle or a travel mug.

There are other designs out there, but they mostly just consist of an appropriately sized concentric ring, and the user needs a series of rings available; this is the only design I'm aware of that is spring self-adjusting.

More details and build pictures at Tesla Model 3 Cup Clamp -- spring loaded by lairdb. Original design by me; released CC-BY.

https://i.redd.it/p7eg8kjw73921.png

18q9rc3b83921.png

https://i.redd.it/18q9rc3b83921.png

https://i.redd.it/toredasc83921.png

Updated the center piece on Thingiverse just a few minutes ago for a slightly better fit. Nearly imperceptible change.

I would buy one from anybody if printed in all black

I would buy this printed as well!

Nice job! I will buy one too...

For those of you who don't print for yourselves, fyi that as well as taking things to your local major library, you can mail order Thingiverse items to be printed by pro and semi-pro folks through the Thingiverse UI. I always assumed this was silly-expensive -- but I stepped partway through the process out of curiosity and was surprised how reasonable it was; this model (2 wings and the center, still needing assembly) came out about $12 to $16 delivered. (Black PLA, no rush, delivery by ordinary post.)

oOnSaUp.png

2Kb3b1t.png

I can't endorse any particular printing service, but fyi.

I believe you can also tip the designer somewhere in this workflow, incidentally. :) (Or PM me for a referral code, if you are buying another Tesla product...)

Last edited:
20 Jan: I have updated the design on Thingiverse. This is a nearly-scratch redesign, correcting several errors in the previous design, although to the naked eye it probably looks nearly identical. Functionally, it is a better fit for the car, it allows for larger cups (e.g. the Contigo that didn't quite fit before), and it correctly aligns the springs so they won't wear out or get bent. If you printed the previous one and you're happy with it, you probably don't need this one -- but if it's easy for you, you might want to try it. If you haven't made it yet, definitely use the new design.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I don't do 3D printing (although I should start dabbling, soungs like a fun hobby). So I ordered this off the thingiverse, got stumped by the filament step, and now see there is a new version.

And I like the flocked version better.

Laird - any chance you are willing to ship one out? Clearly there is some time involved, and supplies, and equipment usage -- so I don't mind appropriately compensation for that.

I don't do 3D printing (although I should start dabbling, soungs like a fun hobby). So I ordered this off the thingiverse, got stumped by the filament step, and now see there is a new version.

And I like the flocked version better.

Laird - any chance you are willing to ship one out? Clearly there is some time involved, and supplies, and equipment usage -- so I don't mind appropriately compensation for that.

Eeeeh, I'm not set up for it, and I'm not getting consistent flocking results yet (appears to be a bit of technique and skill in it). Let's see if we can at least try what you've got first. Instead of filament and melting for the hinges, start with just a piece of wire hangar, or even a piece of (uncooked) spaghetti. Just put the wings in place and run the hangar/spaghetti through. Break/snip at the outsides, and see if the wings flap easily, then insert springs.

I would like a cupholder delete. For the love of god why is it imperative to eat and drink where you drive?? Next you're all going to want a toilet built into your seats so you can stuff yourself constantly and just poop right there without having to ever get up.

Exposed cup holder are so ugly.

• Disagree
Reactions: JohnK.AZ