Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 delivery and few other questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

So I am considering purchasing a Model 3 and had a few questions. I am in Arizona and currently online it says if ordered it could possible be delivered by the end of the year. Do you think this is realistic? It looks like Arizona can only have show rooms so i'd have to have it delivered?
If potentially delivered year end does the tax credit happen this year?

I am considering trading in my current car. Has anyone done this and how does it work?

Lastly, are there lenders that give the best rates or is it best to go through Tesla and does the $2500 due when placing an order go towards a down payment or just a fee?

Personally, I think the only way to get one by EOY if you don't already have an order in is to take from available stock in your area. Many of us have been waiting many weeks since ordering (I'm at 8 weeks today).

Hey guys,

So I am considering purchasing a Model 3 and had a few questions. I am in Arizona and currently online it says if ordered it could possible be delivered by the end of the year. Do you think this is realistic? It looks like Arizona can only have show rooms so i'd have to have it delivered?
If potentially delivered year end does the tax credit happen this year?

I am considering trading in my current car. Has anyone done this and how does it work?

Lastly, are there lenders that give the best rates or is it best to go through Tesla and does the $2500 due when placing an order go towards a down payment or just a fee?
Very simply put, if you want it by the end of the year, you'd better put your order in immediately, every minute is starting to count.

Elon indicated that those weren't delivered, would be refunded, if desired. Bit honestly, is $3250 worth not getting the car???

Personally, I think the only way to get one by EOY if you don't already have an order in is to take from available stock in your area. Many of us have been waiting many weeks since ordering (I'm at 8 weeks today).

What build are you waiting for, for 8 weeks?

I suspect that if OP wants one by the end of the year, OP needs to not only willing to take from available stock, but also know that, for Model 3, "Available stock" seems to be:

1. All wheel Drive model (NOT rear wheel drive)
2. Long range model, or Performance model, (NOT Medium range model)
3. Be willing to get black seats (although white seats seem to be available, especially in the performance model.

Just from talking to the manager at my local tesla store and reading here, people in southern california have been able to take virtually immediate (less than 1 week) order of cars in various colors meeting the specs above (All wheel drive, Long range or performance).

People still waiting seem to be waiting for the mid range model, or rear wheel drive. Personally, I did not need all wheel drive because I am in southern cali and dont need 4 wheel drive for weather. I DID want the performance model, however and thats the only way it comes so /shrug.

I "placed an order" on 11/27 and they matched me with a car the next day. I took delivery on 12/04. I was NOT a reservation holder, nor did I have a previous telsa EV (although I do have solar city / tesla solar, so was able to self refer myself... but I did not get any impression that had anything at all to do with the speed with which I got the car.

OP if you dont plan on an all wheel drive long range or performance model, its my opinion that you can basically kiss goodbye any hope of getting one before the end of this year. If you DO, and are willing to take one of the already manufactured cars made in november or december (tesla does not have cars sitting around for months, they dont have a place to store said cars). then I am fairly sure you could get one by then, even delivered to arizona however that has to happen. If delivered by dec 31st you can claim the tax credit on this years taxes (if applicable to your tax situation). If not delivered this year, you would be claiming on NEXT years (as in 2019 taxes filed in 2020) and also lose half the rebate.

Its "better" to find outside financing, if by "better" you mean "cheaper". Unlike other major car dealers (BMW, Audi, mercedes, Toyota), Tesla does NOT have a "captive" finance arm. By "captive finance arm" I mean a financial institution they have that just performs loans and leases for their vehicles. An example of this is "Toyota Motor Credit" or "BMW Financial Services". Tesla just has agreements with some bank (not sure which, and I think its a couple).

So, Unlike say BMW, which will many times offer lower rates than readily available to move cars (and is the only way to lease their cars, basically), Financing from tesla is just financing from whatever financial institution they use. Most times it seems a credit union has better rates, but you may have to jump through some hoops to join it, based on what they require. In my specific case, I went with my own financial institution which is navy federal credit union, which offered 3.59 over 72 months (which is a decent rate for that term right now.) Some were cheaper per the referenced spreadsheet above, but I already bank with Navy Fed, and the application took me about 5 minutes online and a few clicks, and paperwork delivered to my local branch.

As for the 2500 deposit, the best way to think of it in terms of how it works is like a "diagnostic fee" on your car when you take it to the shop for service. When you take your car to the shop for service, and the dealer or mechanic tells you "I charge $199 for a diagnostic fee, and that gets applied to any work that needs to be performed", What they are saying is:

"we will apply the diagnostic fee to any work you decide to do because of the results of the diagnostic fee, but if you decide to do NO work after the diagnostic process has been performed, we have earned that diagnostic fee and will not be returning it"

Tesla's deposit works the same way. They say its not a deposit. If you pay the $2500 deposit teslas contracts clearly state that they feel they have "earned" that money once they have gone through the process of matching you with a car and getting you a VIN number, however if you complete the purchase the money is taken off the balance due on the car.

So, not "deposit" but functions like one because it gets deducted from the price of the car once you complete the purchase. If you DONT complete the purchase and they have already matched you with a VIN number and attempted to schedule delivery, they dont have to return it. In fact their contract clearly states this, however people have reported that they have returned it to some in that circumstance. I think its important to know the difference, however. Gets deducted from the price of the car, but does not have to be returned if you change your mind AND they have already matched you to a car.

If they havent matched you to a car / vin, then can be returned with no issues.

Given this is the end of the year, and if you were willing to take a model like I said above, you would likely get matched with a car almost immediately (again, as long as you were not wanting a medium range, or rear wheel drive only car, or set on having one only with a white interior instead of black in the Long range or performance models).

Hope this helps.

What's the best way to check available stock in your area? I am in Arizona and would I need to call the store or SC? The stores are in the mall and doesn't seem like they have anywhere for stock there?

The store is the best place. Doesnt matter if they are in the mall or not. The store is the place to get a tesla owner advisor (what they call salespeople, but who are not commissioned as I understand it) to help you.

DONT just "order online" at this point. Go to the store, let them help you. They have access to tesla's database of cars and can tell you if they can match you with a car, and if so, you place an "order" with them right in the store and use a credit card for a deposit. Just because its in a mall doesnt mean they dont sell cars. Tesla's model is different than what you may be used to.

Think of it as an Apple store. Looks like one (young people walking around in a minimalist store setting, with a couple of cars to look at and sit in), not much product to actually pick up and buy, no "registers" but people walking around with tablets or laptops to help you buy things online if you want).

Go to the store (and best to go during the day on a weekday, because just like an apple store, if you go on a weekend they will be SWAMPED and not have much time to spend with you, or you will have to wait a while, because you and many other people are being spurred by the tax rebate to "ACT NOW", or lose out on the full rebate... so many who have been sitting on the sidelines are now jumping in (probably somewhat impulsively, at this point).

I count myself in the "jumping in right now because of the tax credit" crowd, but I had to replace a car anyway by January due to lease ending, and always wanted a tesla but the model s and x were out of my range.. but I could swing a fully loaded model 3 performance, so was able to get into a tesla at last... and I love this car right now even though I have only had it a couple weeks.

This is absolutely an "iphone moment" for me as it relates to cars (I am in IT, and remember clearly the first iPhones and how they shifted everything as we went from blackberry / windows phone to iphones). Smartphones seem ubiquitous now, but that was like 2006 and shifted "Everything"

I feel the Model 3 is doing the same with cars, right now, as we watch.

Thank you, jjrandorin! I suspect you're right and unfortunately I was wanting the mid-range model. Well, I technically want the performance model lol but it's a little too pricey right now.

Sorry, I don't think there's any way to get a MR right now unless you just get super lucky and maybe someone just cancelled their order.
You could try though... go to your local store and talk to them about what's available.

Edited to add: If they can't match you with something today, there's certainly no harm in placing an order. It's still possible they could get it to you before EOY, and if not, you can always cancel.

Last edited:
Thank you, jjrandorin! I suspect you're right and unfortunately I was wanting the mid-range model. Well, I technically want the performance model lol but it's a little too pricey right now.

No problem!

Unfortunately, I think there is a "less than zero" chance that you could get a Mid Range model by the end of the year. What you need to ask yourself is this:

"Self, is the long range battery worth 3,700 and getting the car now?"

The difference in the two cars is 7000, however since there is almost no chance you will get a mid range model by the end of the year, but almost assuredly could get the long range one by the end of the year, the difference in those tax credits is 3750. That means the "effective" difference is 3750 if you are eligible for the full tax credit. Is almost 100 miles additional range (and less worry about range anxiety) worth 3750 over the life you will own the car?

Thats the question you need to answer. I personally feel the difference would be worth it, if it was between getting the car this year and getting full credit or not.

For someone like @gecko10x who has been waiting, and is taking delivery this year, the difference is actually 7000. For OP, or anyone else in that situation the difference is 3750.

Thanks guys for the help! Went into the store and they do have some inventory but youre right only the long range and without autopilot :( can't really afford it with it unless really stretch. They seemed very confident that a mid range would be delivered by year end though and the website says by late December but I kinda feel like they might be full of sh*t?

Also, I guess I'm still a little confused on where the 2500 reserve payment goes. It'll lower the principal loan amount by 2500 or is it just a fee? If it lowers it then technically I could add on some options up to that from what I was thinking since doesn't seem like the online configurator reflects it?

NVM I didn't read jjrandorin's post on the deposit clearly enough. I get it now.

Also, do you guys think there's a color that is more likely to be delivered sooner or they are all the same? Probably just gonna pay the 2500 tonight and hope for the best. Unfortunately don't want to spend enough to get autopilot and the long range right now so need to go with the mid range and autopilot. I feel like if I didn't get the autopilot it's taking so much away from what I love about the car.

Last edited:
They can add autopilot to any vin, actually so the auto pilot or not is not really an issue. Its do they have the motor you want, with the exterior and interior you want. They told me several times that adding auto pilot was not an issue (but of course its cheaper at purchase right now (5k) vs 7k later... but I have been reading here that some have gotten an autopilot 30 day trial and the ability to order it for like 5500 or something.

Something to keep in mind with tesla is, all cars have all the autopilot hardware, its just whether they turn it on or not for you, Its not like BMW or Mercedes or something, where if you dont get the lane keeping assist at order time, it really cant be added to the car at all later.

Like I said before, teslas different. In many good ways, and a few not so good ways, lol

Thank you that is definitely good to know. Although, if you get at purchase it'd be in the loan where I am assuming if bought after it'd need to be purchased with cash?
The range on the mid range is perfectly fine for most things except for if we went on a long trip and being in AZ obviously don't have to worry about cold weather affecting the range.
Do you know what the actual "feel" in acceleration and performance difference there is between the mid range and long range with the extra second of 0-60?

Thank you that is definitely good to know. Although, if you get at purchase it'd be in the loan where I am assuming if bought after it'd need to be purchased with cash?
The range on the mid range is perfectly fine for most things except for if we went on a long trip and being in AZ obviously don't have to worry about cold weather affecting the range.
Do you know what the actual "feel" in acceleration and performance difference there is between the mid range and long range with the extra second of 0-60?

I dont know.. a second is a long time when you talk 0-60 but I got the performance. Was coming from a BMW 435, which was 0-60 in something like 4.9 or 4.8 I think, which felt plenty fast... but the Model 3 performance is 3.3, Its "roller coaster" type fast, and drives like a go cart. I love this car (even if I dont love the front facia).

I dont know.. a second is a long time when you talk 0-60 but I got the performance. Was coming from a BMW 435, which was 0-60 in something like 4.9 or 4.8 I think, which felt plenty fast... but the Model 3 performance is 3.3, Its "roller coaster" type fast, and drives like a go cart. I love this car (even if I dont love the front facia).

Haha, dang definitely want the performance! But know I'll be happy either way.

Well, just went ahead and placed an order. Didn't realize it would ask for insurance and loan information, etc. already ...does this all need to be put in before they will give me a delivery date or just before delivery?
I also stupidly forgot to use a referral link in my excitement. Am I out of luck now?

For the loan how do you go through Tesla to see offers? I do not see an option. I'll probably figure out something else, but thought there would be an option.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited:
Well, just went ahead and placed an order. Didn't realize it would ask for insurance and loan information, etc. already ...does this all need to be put in before they will give me a delivery date or just before delivery?
I also stupidly forgot to use a referral link in my excitement. Am I out of luck now?

For the loan how do you go through Tesla to see offers? I do not see an option. I'll probably figure out something else, but thought there would be an option.

Thanks for all the help guys!

An owner advisor can add a referral link later.... Did you order in the store or just on your own, online? You dont get "offers" from tesla, they have an interest rate they offer, and sometimes they offer to beat whatever rate you have if you provide proof (like an acceptance letter or something). That was not in play when I got mine 2 weeks ago though.

Someone here put together a fantastic google doc that updates automatically and pulls rates from several credit unions.

Tesla loan comparison spreadsheet - auto updates hourly