Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3....embarrassing moment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most common issue I face is that pedestrians often don't recognize I am there. I've gotten into the habit of honking in low-vision areas and generally trying to be more noisy than usual.

This week, I struggled to get out valet mode and had to shut down the car and go through menu's several times when picking the car back up - by this time, several vehicles had to go through the alternate exit to get out of the garage. This after asking the attendant if they knew how to drive the Tesla. ;)

Most of the embarrassing moments I've had have come after needing to get back into an ICE vehicle and forgetting to shut the engine off or take the keys out of the car.

Reactions: Runnergirl
Actually, what I find embarrassing is that my last car was on its last leg when I bought my Model 3. It had a pretty consistent oil leak that wasn’t bad enough to fix. So the mechanic solution was “just put in some oil when it gets low.” I gave up the garage parking spot to my lovely bride so her convertible top gets less sun exposure and we use half the garage for storage, so I park outside.

It find it rather embarrassing that I unplug my electric car and drive off, leaving a rather decent sized oil stain (from the last car, obviously) on my driveway after I leave.

As a postscript, I have to redo the driveway for unrelated reasons anyway, so this is a temporary problem, but I do find it ironic and embarrassing too.

Reactions: Pkmmte
so for the phone key, how long should one need to stand by the door for the car to realize you are there? i have an iphone X and sometimes it opens instantly and other times i try and open the door 5-6 times and then need to remove the phone from my pocket to work. kinda annoying at times, in the rain...

so for the phone key, how long should one need to stand by the door for the car to realize you are there? i have an iphone X and sometimes it opens instantly and other times i try and open the door 5-6 times and then need to remove the phone from my pocket to work. kinda annoying at times, in the rain...
. . . Fob . . . (not a derisive insult on your heritage but a solution, albeit an expensive one, to your problem).

I really like to use the AP, even when I probably should not. At one point on my way to work there is a really tight, single line but rather wide 180 degrees right turning ramp. Once, while on "Navigate on AP" in slow traffic on the ramp (and me probably not paying enough attention), my car decided to overtake the car in front by rapidly "changing lines", swerving to the left and speeding up. By the time I took over the control and stopped I was in parallel with the Lexus that used to be in front. The lady-driver opened her window and was... rather upset about my driving. But I could not find words.. The thought process in my head was something like: I should apologize... but it is not me, it is the car! (i think I even pointed to the wheel)... but she probably will not get it and I should apologize... but it was not me!...

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
I remember hearing a story on This American Life from a cop who decided to take a nap in the back of his squad car, forgetting that you REALLY can't get out of the back. He had his portable radio and after trying everything he could think of, was forced to call dispatch for help. He begged the dispatcher to just call his partner to come let him out (he was nearby), but the dispatcher instead puts out an "officer in distress" call. He gets a HUGE response, of course.

Now THAT'S embarrassing.

I love my car but some of the features and glitches could really cause an embarrassing moment. Below is mine...

I was having dinner with my 4-year old in a restaurant. After we were done, it was pouring rain out there. We waited for a good 15 minutes but the rain wouldn’t let go and my daughter was getting tired. So I covered her with my coat and ran to the car which was luckily parked just outside of the restaurant.

My daughter still couldn’t buckle herself up yet so I just threw her into the backseat and got in in the back with her. After I had buckled her seatbelt while I was in the back seat, I pressed the door button but the door wouldn’t open. Shoot! That’s right. I enabled child lock. I tapped the screen. It didn’t turn on. Probably because there’s no weight on either front seats? Now I’m stuck in the back soaked. The only way for me to get to the front is to crawl to the front seat.

Like I said, my car was parked just outside of the restaurant. So close that it was facing the restaurant’s big window and a couple of tables right next to it. There were like 12 people there. I waited for a little bit but it looked like they just sat down and were not leaving anytime soon.

Hopeless, I started to crawl to the front. I’m not small so it was quite a challenge. After some squeezing and banging, I did it... while those people looked on like why is the car shaking? What the heck is that guy doing in his car? I could see the grin on their faces. I just start the car and took off.

Thanks for reading.

Haha, they probably thought "this guy is made of sugar" or "he is afraid of getting electrocuted in the rain by his electric car" ;)

Anyways, Tesla (elon) claims they optimize airbag functionality based on seating weights. I think the easy solution would be if Tesla added a setting "[x] Child lock active only on the side unoccupied by an adult" This way if an adult (weight) is sitting in the back, they are not child-locked.

I can't come close to your story but every time I go back to my car in a parking lot, it's a bit embarrassing. About half the time, the door won't open. At that point, step one is to turn around and face away from the car and put my butt near the B pillar. Sometimes that works. If it doesn't, then I've already spun around once, can't get in (twice), and I have to take my phone out of my pocket and wake it up. Then I can get in. I'm just waiting for someone to say "How much did you pay for that car?" ;)

Incidentally, that's why I ordered the fob for $160. It arrives today.

Mike

Reactions: father_of_6