Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3....embarrassing moment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my car but some of the features and glitches could really cause an embarrassing moment. Below is mine...

I was having dinner with my 4-year old in a restaurant. After we were done, it was pouring rain out there. We waited for a good 15 minutes but the rain wouldn’t let go and my daughter was getting tired. So I covered her with my coat and ran to the car which was luckily parked just outside of the restaurant.

My daughter still couldn’t buckle herself up yet so I just threw her into the backseat and got in in the back with her. After I had buckled her seatbelt while I was in the back seat, I pressed the door button but the door wouldn’t open. Shoot! That’s right. I enabled child lock. I tapped the screen. It didn’t turn on. Probably because there’s no weight on either front seats? Now I’m stuck in the back soaked. The only way for me to get to the front is to crawl to the front seat.

Like I said, my car was parked just outside of the restaurant. So close that it was facing the restaurant’s big window and a couple of tables right next to it. There were like 12 people there. I waited for a little bit but it looked like they just sat down and were not leaving anytime soon.

Hopeless, I started to crawl to the front. I’m not small so it was quite a challenge. After some squeezing and banging, I did it... while those people looked on like why is the car shaking? What the heck is that guy doing in his car? I could see the grin on their faces. I just start the car and took off.

Thanks for reading.

Wouldn't this be the same problem on any car on which the rear seat door releases were set to child-lock mode?

For an embarrassing moment unique to a Model 3, how about just at the moment you finish telling a passenger about the amazing high-tech in the car, the screen does its glitch / black-out thing and you have no instruments, controls, etc. for several minutes while it reboots?

Wouldn't this be the same problem on any car on which the rear seat door releases were set to child-lock mode?

I was thinking the same :) What is so unique on this for Model 3.

But i will tell you. I had to once fidget out the key card to open the door in pouring rain, because my phone as key wouldn't work for some reason.

True. But if it’s my old car, with the key fob in my pocket or key in ignition, I could’ve just turn on accessories mode and roll down the window to open the door from the outside. Even the window buttons didn’t work in the 3.

Used my phone to open the frunk, then stuck the phone in my backpack. Put the backpack in the frunk and closed it. Then went to open the driver's door and it wouldn't unlock. Realized that I left the keycard in my phone case, so I just locked my phone and card in the frunk, and the car won't unlock unless the phone is, I guess, closer to the middle of the car? So I can't get to the screen to unlock the frunk? Meanwhile, my wife is out of town with her phone and card (and our other vehicle!).

I was just warming up to a real "Oh, SH*T!" moment, when my son said, "can't you unlock it from your iPad?"

Thank God for the little guy! (I don't have the iPad set up as a key, though it does have the app, so it was good enough to unlock the frunk.)

not sure how this is even true, unless you do not have your phone synced to the car. All you had to do was open the Tesla app. This thread is more embarassing than crawling to the front seat.
Well nobody’s perfect. I think I had done that but the screen was blank and I had no means to open the rear doors. That was couple months ago I don’t remember what version of firmware it had.